743 users online (108 members and 635 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 78
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    3,192

    Autistic boy banned from Minn. church

    The Diocese of St. Cloud issued a statement saying the petition was filed "as a last resort out of a growing concern for the safety of parishioners and other community members due to disruptive and violent behavior on the part of that child."
    Walz said the boy's behavior worsened over time, telling authorities that Adam has been "extremely disruptive and dangerous" since last summer.
    According to Walz, Adam struck a child during mass, nearly knocks elderly parishioners over when he hastily exits the church, spits and sometimes urinates in church and fights when he is being restrained.
    He also one time assaulted a girl by pulling her onto his lap and, during Easter mass, ran to the parking lot and got into two vehicles, starting them and revving the engine, Walz alleged.
    "There were people directly in front of the car who could have been injured or killed if he had put the car in gear," Walz wrote.
    Adam's parents have to sit on him and sometimes tie his hands and feet to get control of him, Walz wrote.
    Carol Race has an answer to each complaint.
    She said her son makes spitting faces but doesn't spit and acknowledged he has occasional problems with incontinence. She says that she and her husband sit on Adam because their weight calms him down, which is why he pulled the girl onto him.
    She also said they do use soft straps to bind Adam's hands and feet on occasion because it calms him, as does the revving sound of engines, which is why he started the cars.
    Some disability advocates are getting behind the Races.
    "It's unfathomable and concerns me that we've taken a situation with special needs and we're making it into the criminal matter," said Brad Trahan, the founder of the RT Autism Awareness Foundation in Rochester, who has asked the bishop of St. Cloud to rescind the restraining order

    http://kstp.com/article/stories/S448291.shtml?cat=1

    since i know some will not click the link i tried to get as many of the facts as possible. this is why i quoted from the middle of the article.

  2. #2
    curious1 is offline So broccoli, mother says your good for me,well I'm afraid i'm not good for you!
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The Tarheel State - Go HEELS!
    Posts
    1,893
    I am sorry, I have friends with autistic kids, but if one is this disruptive and you cannot control him/her you have no right to force that behavior on other people. It's not like a small tic or speaking very loudly, this is way beyond that.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,026
    Wow, sherri. What a sad and interesting situation. I would really like to hear from our members that deal with autism on a daily basis. I have never heard of anything like this.

    For me, it would be hard to take a child with issues like Adam's to church because I would be so concerned with keeping an eye on my child that I do not know whether or not I would get much out of the service. It would leave me stressed out and one of the reasons I go to church to church is to find peace.

    It says the church leadership visited this family in an effort to look for alternatives. I wonder what some of those alternative were.

    My prayers for this family and this congregation.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,014
    Shouldn't he be more socialized by this age? I would like to know more about his special education, care, diet, etc. I honestly don't know what to think about this.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,397
    It's very interesting, especially the reasons why he does each thing. I don't know what to think, other than the parents probably need to keep a closer eye on their son.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    4,543
    I have a son with Autism. I pick my battles with him. Unfortunately I wouldn't bring him to church if he acted this way we would find an alternative. I don't understand how this child was able to start up two cars and rev the engines. How did he get the car keys? Where was his parents? I don't allow my son to leave my site when we are in public. When he starts to get rowdy we come home. It really is that simple.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    3,192
    Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    Wow, sherri. What a sad and interesting situation. I would really like to hear from our members that deal with autism on a daily basis. I have never heard of anything like this.

    For me, it would be hard to take a child with issues like Adam's to church because I would be so concerned with keeping and eye on my child that I do not know whether or not I would get much out of the service. It would leave me stressed out and one of the reasons I go to church to church is to find peace.

    It says the church leadership visited this family in an effort to look for alternatives. I wonder what some of those alternative were.

    My prayers for this family and this congregation.
    i am not sure what the church suggested. i would think some things could easily be done to improve the situation. my grandmother wore depends after her bladder surgery. i am sure they could find them in a size to fit this child.

    sit the child and his family away from others especially children. with his size he could easily harm a child without the intent to hurt them.

    ask that the other members of the church wait until this family can leave or have this family leave last. i can see how having a 6ft 225lb person running into people can be dangerous but it seems easy to fix.

    ask for volunteers in the church that would be willing to learn how to help the parents control the child when he has a issue.

    never leave the child unattended if he gets into cars and starts them. i understand the sound brings him comfort but this is just dangerous.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    3,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeah,me View Post
    Shouldn't he be more socialized by this age? I would like to know more about his special education, care, diet, etc. I honestly don't know what to think about this.
    i tried to find more information but it has not been easy. most articles seem slanted one way or the other. like they list the childs problems but not why he behaves this way or they say mom is upset and could be arrested if she violates the court order but never mention the cars or the allegation of him hitting other children.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,397
    I don't understand the car starting issue. Are people just leaving their car keys in the ignitions with the doors unlocked?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,551
    When I read the words very carefully it makes me think there is more to it than the obvious. These were the sentences that made me think that....

    *Carol Race said it all started last June, when Walz and a church trustee visited the Races at their home to address the behavior of Adam.

    I think it is interesting that she feels that is where it "all started".
    If church representatives were visiting in the home about it, wouldn't things have been escalating for at least a little while?

    *Carol Race just hopes the ugly back-and-forth doesn't tarnish the image of the church.
    "The church isn't bad," she said. "But it's what some individuals do within the church."


    So the mom is not "upset" with the church and is concerned about its reputation. But she does seem to be bothered by some "individuals" and what they "do"
    I wonder who the individuals are and what is it exactly that they "do"?
    The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
    Bertrand Russell


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    3,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    I don't understand the car starting issue. Are people just leaving their car keys in the ignitions with the doors unlocked?
    The Easter incident occurred when Adam got into the driver's seat of a car that had already been started and revved the engine because he's drawn to engines, she said. http://www.startribune.com/local/190...tml?page=3&c=y
    maybe someone started their car to allow the AC to cool it while they spoke to others.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,014
    Quote Originally Posted by sherri79 View Post
    i tried to find more information but it has not been easy. most articles seem slanted one way or the other. like they list the childs problems but not why he behaves this way or they say mom is upset and could be arrested if she violates the court order but never mention the cars or the allegation of him hitting other children.
    Thank you for researching this case. It just seems like something isn't being done or is missing from this child's care. I'm not trying to blame the parents. I've never been a parent of an autistic child, but have studied some about the condition. I'm wondering if they keep him home all the time and this is the only time he's around other people, and he just cannot contain his excitement? Something just seems amiss.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,983
    I think Carol Race is about to start one heck of a lawsuit against the church. She is failing to look at the issues other then the fact her rights are being voilated & she is the one being banned.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,551
    Quote Originally Posted by Mygirlsadie View Post
    I have a son with Autism. I pick my battles with him. Unfortunately I wouldn't bring him to church if he acted this way we would find an alternative. I don't understand how this child was able to start up two cars and rev the engines. How did he get the car keys? Where was his parents? I don't allow my son to leave my site when we are in public. When he starts to get rowdy we come home. It really is that simple.
    Thank you for your thoughts on this Mygirlsadie.


    I dont know enough about Autism so I have a question. IF this boy cannot have any expectations placed on his behavior then would that be because his autism is very profound? Is this how profound autism manifests itself? Can a child with autism in a home where the parents have trained and educated themselves as well as their autistic child, get a different result than a home where the parents dont try as hard?

    I know that in any social setting (church, movie theatre, grocery store, etc) there are going to be children whose at home training is obvious. The opposite is true also. Is this the case with autistic children or is all undesirable behavior just credited to the autism?
    The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
    Bertrand Russell

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Glow View Post
    When I read the words very carefully it makes me think there is more to it than the obvious. These were the sentences that made me think that....

    *Carol Race said it all started last June, when Walz and a church trustee visited the Races at their home to address the behavior of Adam.

    I think it is interesting that she feels that is where it "all started".
    If church representatives were visiting in the home about it, wouldn't things have been escalating for at least a little while?

    *Carol Race just hopes the ugly back-and-forth doesn't tarnish the image of the church.
    "The church isn't bad," she said. "But it's what some individuals do within the church."

    So the mom is not "upset" with the church and is concerned about its reputation. But she does seem to be bothered by some "individuals" and what they "do"
    I wonder who the individuals are and what is it exactly that they "do"?
    Good post, Glow. Obviously this all started before church members came knocking at their door. So far, I can't help but think this Mom is failing to grasp the responsibility that she has to keep her son from menacing fellow members of their congregation. It sounds to me like the church is trying to find a viable solution and the Mom is just digging her heels in and not willing to work towards a mutual fulfilling goal.

    I will surely withhold judgment because we do not have lots of information.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. GA - 103 Yr old woman banned from lifelong church
    By Steft50 in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 09-28-2015, 12:02 AM
  2. TX-Church volunteer molests 8 ry old autistic boy
    By peeples in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-05-2011, 08:05 PM
  3. Child's Arrest Angers Minn. Tribe
    By sherri79 in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-11-2007, 02:21 PM