936 users online (124 members and 812 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Munich, Germany
    Posts
    117

    IN - Catherine Winters, 9, Newcastle, 20 March 1913

    Searching for Connie Smith, I found this story about little girl missing since 1913 and never found.

    http://kidnappingmurderandmayhem.blo...e-winters.html

    Quote"Nine-year-old Catherine Winters was last seen around noon on March 20, 1913. A family friend named Dan Monroe spoke to her as she walked along the town square toward her Newcastle, Indiana home. On that day, the schools had closed due to an outbreak of measles and Catherine had spent the morning playing with her pal Helen Stretch. As she skipped toward home, she wore a “red sweater coat,” a white straw hat, and a black and white checked gingham dress. She had brown eyes and light brown hair."
    Last edited by Cubby; 01-22-2011 at 06:01 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,073
    What an interesting story. There are so many different angles to this little girl's disappearance - did her family kill her, was she kidnapped by gypsies, did a pedophile take her. It sounds like her father spent a lot of time and money trying to find his daughter, so it seems unlikely (but not impossible) that he killed her. Blaming gypsies for her disappearance strikes me as being extremely far-fetched. But it's always easier to blame an outsider than it is to accept that someone in your community is a kidnapper or murderer.

    Pedophilia and child molestation were taboo topics in the early 1900s, but obviously such horrible things took place then as now. To me, this seems the likeliest explanation for Catherine's disappearance.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cali -- but im a north east girl at heart!
    Posts
    424
    wow.

    the creepiest part to me was the father's last words

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,450
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrachel04 View Post
    wow. the creepiest part to me was the father's last words
    I think all the father was saying was that he would be reunited with Catherine in Death/Heaven.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The South, USA
    Posts
    2,405
    It seems kind of likely that she drowned. It says in the article that it was the first night of "the great floods of 1913." Was that ever even a suggestion?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    284
    Very interesting. Thanks for posting it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cali -- but im a north east girl at heart!
    Posts
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by Trino View Post
    I think all the father was saying was that he would be reunited with Catherine in Death/Heaven.
    i know it gave me the chills tho

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,073
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    It seems kind of likely that she drowned. It says in the article that it was the first night of "the great floods of 1913." Was that ever even a suggestion?
    I haven't read a whole lot about this, but from the little I have read the focus seemed to be on abduction. You make a very good point, though, and possibly the most likely theory. It would certainly explain why Catherine's body was never found.

    If I run across anything about this, I'll post it here.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Orange County
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by Mischa View Post
    Searching for Connie Smith, I found this story about little girl missing since 1913 and never found.

    http://kidnappingmurderandmayhem.blo...e-winters.html

    Quote"Nine-year-old Catherine Winters was last seen around noon on March 20, 1913. A family friend named Dan Monroe spoke to her as she walked along the town square toward her Newcastle, Indiana home. On that day, the schools had closed due to an outbreak of measles and Catherine had spent the morning playing with her pal Helen Stretch. As she skipped toward home, she wore a “red sweater coat,” a white straw hat, and a black and white checked gingham dress. She had brown eyes and light brown hair."
    3 months younger than my grandma. My grandma died about 13 years ago...if someone else took her and raised her as their own, it's possible she never knew anything was amiss.

    In certain areas gypsies certainly were an issue at that time....we heard (probably embellished) stories of gypsies when we were young.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,450
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    It seems kind of likely that she drowned. It says in the article that it was the first night of "the great floods of 1913." Was that ever even a suggestion?
    The last sighting of Catherine was as she walked along the town square. There is no river that runs through New Castle, so I don't see how she could have accidentally drown.

    I just wonder if the quote was to emphasize the time frame.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,073
    Quote Originally Posted by Trino View Post
    The last sighting of Catherine was as she walked along the town square. There is no river that runs through New Castle, so I don't see how she could have accidentally drown.

    I just wonder if the quote was to emphasize the time frame.
    New Castle, Indiana, is located on the Big Blue River.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    171
    I think this may be a case of fuzzy memory...my research shows that flooding occurred on March 23, 1913 at the earliest and more reliably on March 25. If she did disappear on March 20, that gives a minimum of 3 days before flooding occurred. Not to say that it wasn't raining...the accounts that I read show 5+ inches of rain falling on March 25, with flooding in Ohio that day (including levee and reservoir failure), and flooding in Indiana reported on March 26. I think that you would naturally associate the two, especially after years, but either the date she went missing is wrong or the flooding is days later and coincidental (but may well have washed her body away).

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,450
    Quote Originally Posted by Marilynilpa View Post
    New Castle, Indiana, is located on the Big Blue River.
    If I read the story correctly, it stated she was last seen walking along the downtown square. The Big Blue is sw of the town.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Where the rainbow ends
    Posts
    184
    Newcastle isn't all that far from Chicagoland, where the murder of Elsie Paroubek happened a couple of years previously. The girls are similar in age and appearance, and it is well known that child murderers have very specific physical preferences.

  15. #15
    Auramyst's Avatar
    Auramyst is offline One should look for what is, not for what one thinks should be ~Albert Einstein
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    130

    Bump

    Bumping for Catherine
    All posts are my opinion

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. NOT GUILTY IL - Rev. Fred Winters, 45, killed at Maryville church, 8 March 2009 *Insanity*
    By oceanblueeyes in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-17-2015, 09:56 PM
  2. TX TX - Catherine Hammel, 28, Houston, 23 March 1998
    By hoppyfrog in forum 1990's Missing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-30-2014, 01:34 PM

Tags for this Thread