1297 users online (200 members and 1097 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,748

    Question After 30 years of marriage, he never saw her face

    No. he's not blind

    After 30 years of marriage, cynics might say most husbands and wives would have seen quite enough of each other, thank you very much.

    But not in the case of one Saudi Arabian man who managed to live with his wife for three decades without setting eyes on her face.

    Not that he had much choice about it. His 50-year-old wife followed the tradition of her native village near the south-western city of Khamis Mushayt and kept her features veiled at all times.

    Until one night last month, that is, when the husband was finally overcome by curiosity and tried to lift his wife's veil as she slept to take a look at her face.

    It was an error he is unlikely to be given a chance to repeat for his outraged wife woke up during his sneak peek and is now demanding a divorce.

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1811

    Extraordinary lives . . .

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,306
    "Marriage is about love, not faces."
    For some reason I found that sweet.

    Very interesting.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,705
    I said on another thread... what a screwed up country!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    In the cooooold!
    Posts
    4,633
    Wow.

    I'd be curious too.
    I would have been curious decades ago tho.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,189
    He probably did it on purpose knowing that she'd divorce him.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,968
    what a screwed up religion, is more like it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Amraann View Post
    I said on another thread... what a screwed up country!
    Amen!
    That's screwed up...making a woman keep her face covered for 30 years.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    14,796
    Quote Originally Posted by philamena View Post
    Amen!
    That's screwed up...making a woman keep her face covered for 30 years.

    I mean REALLY!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    1,736
    Quote Originally Posted by reb View Post
    what a screwed up religion, is more like it.

    It's not a religious edict at all. I believe it is actually a pre-Islamic tradition that women in the Arabian Peninsula cover themselves to an extraordinary degree.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,021
    Quote Originally Posted by absinthe View Post
    It's not a religious edict at all. I believe it is actually a pre-Islamic tradition that women in the Arabian Peninsula cover themselves to an extraordinary degree.
    Yes - the article even points out that this is not an Islamic practice. It is an old tradition that some folks keep up.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    1,736
    Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    Yes - the article even points out that this is not an Islamic practice. It is an old tradition that some folks keep up.

    Just read it, thanks There are still pockets of Bedouin who practice very ancient non-Islamic religions, especially in southern SA and Yemen. The women (and some of the men) cover themselves very diligently. It's just one of those weird old customs, like bound feet and ritual scarring, that seem quite barbaric to us but probably have very little to do with religion, per se.

    This is not to say that I don't think that there are aspects of Arab culture that are extremely condencending, controlling and even violent toward women. This just isn't one of them. I actually find this story funny and am heartened that the whole world hasn't been stripped of its strange customs yet.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,234
    haha... serves them right. maybe they will get so fed up with their extremism (is that a word?) that they will do away with this veiling altogether. i have never understood it (sorry to offend anyone). i just think that if the men do not have to be veiled, the women should not have to be either!!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    14,796
    I don't know but some of these strange customs don't allow growth for the individual. It may be wise to carry a few old world things like cooking certain meals or adhering to certain holidays but for a person to keep their face hidden for 30 years smells more of a great compromise than allowing freedom.

    I just don't see the benefit and it isn't to do with religion but personal freedom. I just don't see the logic behind this.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    1,736
    Quote Originally Posted by concernedperson View Post
    I don't know but some of these strange customs don't allow growth for the individual. It may be wise to carry a few old world things like cooking certain meals or adhering to certain holidays but for a person to keep their face hidden for 30 years smells more of a great compromise than allowing freedom.

    I just don't see the benefit and it isn't to do with religion but personal freedom. I just don't see the logic behind this.

    From what I read, it seemed as if the woman wanted to keep her face covered against the wishes of her husband.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    850
    Quote Originally Posted by pedinurse View Post
    haha... serves them right. maybe they will get so fed up with their extremism (is that a word?) that they will do away with this veiling altogether. i have never understood it (sorry to offend anyone). i just think that if the men do not have to be veiled, the women should not have to be either!!
    Although it seems odd to us, many of these women feel that being veiled empowers them. They feel like they never have to worry about being judged because of their looks, only their character. Many of them feel sorry for American women who have to strive so hard to maintain their beauty.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Neil Young files for divorce after 36 years of marriage
    By zwiebel in forum Celebrity and Entertainment News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-01-2014, 08:31 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-26-2013, 07:19 PM
  3. Ryan Reynolds and Scarlett Johansson separate after 2 years of marriage
    By KaylynnCouture in forum Celebrity and Entertainment News
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-24-2010, 04:06 AM
  4. GUILTY OH - Juan Ruiz for rape, attempted murder, Cleveland, 2007
    By JanetElaine in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-22-2007, 10:26 AM
  5. Hillary Swank and Chad Lowe split up after nearly 9 years of marriage
    By Dark Knight in forum Celebrity and Entertainment News
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 07-06-2006, 11:55 AM