915 users online (181 members and 734 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 50
  1. #1

    Teacher Duct Tapes Hotel Door on Choir Trip

    I found this snippet interesting and thought I would get your opinions on this matter. I think the student and his mom are going overboard here.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080520/...ct_taped_doors

    I went on a school trip to Florida and the chaperones put tape over all of the hotel doors. I actually thought that it was a brilliant way to prevent problems that could occur from having 100+ high school students on a trip. The concept is that at curfew everyone has to be in their hotel room. They then put tape over the door. You can open the door to get out, but if you try to get back in, you can't reseal the tape so they know that someone in that room was out at night. If someone left the room at night, they would not be allowed to participate in the activities such as going to Disney World or they could be sent home.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Minnesota-land of loons
    Posts
    3,212
    I have heard of this method of preventing after-hours frolics. As a teacher, I know the responsibility while on field trips is enormous. If something goes terribly wrong get ready to be disciplined, lose your job and/or end up in court. I think this is fine. The key point is that the kids could have easily gotten out in an emergency. So many parents want it both ways. This is the same mom who would be screaming from the rooftops and filing suit against the teacher, chaperone and school if her son had escaped and had an accident or worse.

    Eve

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,189
    ... and her son is such a weenie that he couldn't walk through some tape if the hotel caught fire?

    Whatever . . . .

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Minnesota-land of loons
    Posts
    3,212
    Quote Originally Posted by golfmom View Post
    ... and her son is such a weenie that he couldn't walk through some tape if the hotel caught fire?

    Whatever . . . .
    Exactly, golfmom, and we need not wonder why he's a weenie - look at the way mom is acting. I see it all the time.

    Eve

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,189


    http://www.myfoxtoledo.com/myfox/pag...Y&pageId=3.1.1

    ....
    The incident in question is a piece of white tape wrapped around a hotel door handle, attached to a hotel door frame.

    Senior Mark Hummel tells FOX Toledo News he was warned that one of the chaperones was going to do it.

    "I thought he was just joking around and so I went to the door to get something to drink," Hummel said. "It took me three good tries to open the door to get the tape off."

    Word of the incident spread through the Lake Local School district to other parents.

    "(My son) called me that afternoon panicking and did not want to go back to his hotel room, begging me to do something," said Michelle Mata, concerned parent.
    ........



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,759
    It is a great solution and I really don't understand the outrage by the parents at all. Oh what am I saying, this is not surprising at all is it?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Minnesota-land of loons
    Posts
    3,212
    Quote Originally Posted by golfmom View Post


    http://www.myfoxtoledo.com/myfox/pag...Y&pageId=3.1.1

    ....
    The incident in question is a piece of white tape wrapped around a hotel door handle, attached to a hotel door frame.

    Senior Mark Hummel tells FOX Toledo News he was warned that one of the chaperones was going to do it.

    "I thought he was just joking around and so I went to the door to get something to drink," Hummel said. "It took me three good tries to open the door to get the tape off."

    Word of the incident spread through the Lake Local School district to other parents.

    "(My son) called me that afternoon panicking and did not want to go back to his hotel room, begging me to do something," said Michelle Mata, concerned parent.
    ........


    I hope the administration and school board doesn't cave and continues to back the chaperones. You just can't win anymore when dealing with people's kids. It is absolutely ridiculous. If her son had snuck out and ended up in harm's way, that mom would be more than "concerned." More ado about nothing.

    Eve

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,537
    Quote Originally Posted by golfmom View Post

    "(My son) called me that afternoon panicking and did not want to go back to his hotel room, begging me to do something," said Michelle Mata, concerned parent.
    ........


    Can you say wussie-boy....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,237
    Wah wah wah... LOL There must not be one wussy-child in any WS'ers families!!!

    They did this to my dd's room when they went to Washington D.C. I thought it was brilliant. Of course, my dd and her friends didn't know it and they had to explain why their tape wasn't sealed around 3 a.m. I think it had something to do with leaving shoes in another room or in the hallway...can't remember exactly but boy did they hear about it from the terrific chaperones! lol

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The South, USA
    Posts
    2,405
    Sylvia Keeler said she may file charges. Her son, Mark Hummel, said he worried he could be trapped during a fire.
    Duct tape on a door will seal the door? Give me a break. So her kid couldn't break curfew and now he's figured out a way to get back at the teacher. Either the mom should volunteer as a chaperone, or the kid should not go on school trips. Enough complaints like this and they'll begin to cancel school trips altogether.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Great Lakes
    Posts
    3,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    Duct tape on a door will seal the door? Give me a break. So her kid couldn't break curfew and now he's figured out a way to get back at the teacher. Either the mom should volunteer as a chaperone, or the kid should not go on school trips. Enough complaints like this and they'll begin to cancel school trips altogether.
    Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. ~ Mark Twain

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26,910
    Quote Originally Posted by RainbowsAndGumdrops View Post
    I found this snippet interesting and thought I would get your opinions on this matter. I think the student and his mom are going overboard here.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080520/...ct_taped_doors

    I went on a school trip to Florida and the chaperones put tape over all of the hotel doors. I actually thought that it was a brilliant way to prevent problems that could occur from having 100+ high school students on a trip. The concept is that at curfew everyone has to be in their hotel room. They then put tape over the door. You can open the door to get out, but if you try to get back in, you can't reseal the tape so they know that someone in that room was out at night. If someone left the room at night, they would not be allowed to participate in the activities such as going to Disney World or they could be sent home.

    My son recently went to his band trip in New York. They put tape on their doors at night, but they don't seal them in. They simply know if the tape has been lifted, so they can tell if anyone left the room in the night. No big deal. I actually thought it was very clever!! When we installed our pool, we were required to put an alarm on our back door that would sound if the back door were opened. It was very easy to install and only about $20. I've threatened to put them on my kids' bedroom doors if they tried to sneak out at night!!!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,237
    Great comment, Mr. E.

    Imagine what his mom would be saying if he was found dead in the hotel pool because the chaperones didn't take their job seriously!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    693
    I think this is a brilliant idea and a great way for the chaperones to keep the kids safe from their own foolishness. When we had a class trip back in the 70's, the chaperones took turns sitting out in the hallway. We all figured that eventually they would all go to sleep, but I don't think anyone stayed up to check. Nowadays, the kids would figure out some way to get past somebody in the hallway. I think the tape is a wonderful idea.

  15. #15
    2luvmy's Avatar
    2luvmy is offline RIP Ragdoll. You don't get to choose how you're going to die, or when. You can only decide how you're going to live now.
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    1,219
    Our schools had so many go on these trips that the kids would be long gone or back before the removed tape would be found. Now the schools hire security guards to to come and stay in each hall once curfew starts until it is lifted in the AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-12-2016, 01:38 AM
  2. KY-daycare worker duct tapes child to mat
    By peeples in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-19-2014, 05:09 PM
  3. CA~Choir teacher, Hong Thai "Howie" Luong convicted of sex abuse of students
    By Missizzy in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-02-2012, 12:49 PM
  4. OR - Idaho Sex Offender Carjacks Duct Tapes Man to Tree
    By Filly in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-18-2010, 08:55 PM
  5. Bakersfield High School Teacher Duct Tapes Student
    By ihadcabinfever in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 12-20-2006, 03:08 AM