Court says money discriminates against blind people

Autumn2004

Inactive
Reaction score
It's about flipping time!! This story hits near and dear to me. Depending upon others in this day and age is a joke and you can easily get scammed. Its a shame it took this long.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080520/ap_on_bi_ge/blind_money

The U.S. discriminates against blind people by printing paper money that makes it impossible for them to distinguish the bills' value, a federal appeals court ruled Tuesday.

The U.S. acknowledges that the design hinders blind people but it argued they had adapted _some relied on store clerks for help, some used credit cards and others folded certain corners to help distinguish the bills.

But the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit ruled 2-1 that such adaptations were insufficient. The government might as well argue that, since handicapped people can crawl on all fours or ask for help from strangers, there's no need to make buildings wheelchair accessible, the court said.

Other countries have added such features, the court said, and the U.S. never explained what made its situation so unique.

I can't think of any reason why bills can't be different sizes and shapes. Other countries have fixed this problem years ago.

I don't really know anything about currency in other countries. How is money different elsewhere that helps with this? Interesting...

I don't really know anything about currency in other countries. How is money different elsewhere that helps with this? Interesting...

Bills are different sizes so you can tell a five from a one, etc. They are also sometimes differently proportioned - long and narrow or more square for example.

I can't believe this even had to go to the SC!! I mean clearly blind people could not tell the dif and they were being discriminated against.

Especially since they recently came out with all those new bills and still no way to differentiate?????

I agree with the idea of changing our money into something more "user friendly" but this is just the slippery slope to a none paper currency. Bad bad bad bad idea, my friend.

My dad is blind but I swear to you, He can tell the difference from the ridges on the money. Never been an issue for him.

I can't believe this even had to go to the SC!! I mean clearly blind people could not tell the dif and they were being discriminated against.

Especially since they recently came out with all those new bills and still no way to differentiate?????

It's so plain to see!

Bad, bad pun :slap:

This is something, I'm ashamed to say, that I never really thought about. It makes perfect sense to do. Older people too, have problems (at least my mom does!) so this could help out alot of people.

This is something, I'm ashamed to say, that I never really thought about. It makes perfect sense to do. Older people too, have problems (at least my mom does!) so this could help out alot of people.

Welcome!! Do not be ashamed... If not for my autistic son I would never have thought of such things either.

We all live and learn.

I agree. After traveling in Europe in 1992, I've often wondered how blind people figure out currency in the US and I think we should make it different.

I wish they would make it different sizes and braille would be nice, coin money isnt necessary to tell the difference. Im not blind yet but I know I might in the future due to decreasing vision. At least legally blind, hopefully not fully blind.

There are so many things that are scary to me in regards of not being able to see as pouring hot drinks and telling the difference in pills and counting money yet alone someone breaking into my home, this is my worst fear. It would be nice if they considered how difficult it is to have a disability and consider how they can help people to live normal lives. They dont want to give disability as needed but they make it difficult for you to work and function.

Dont be ashamed its hard to grasp how a simple thing is a challenge to others. I had no idea till I dealt with it myself.

Just grabbed the first link in images that came up, here is what the Euro bills look like: http://tinyurl.com/5ns89f (click on the pic to see it clearer).

They have the look and feel of Monopoly money.

This is WONDERUL!!! as a mom to a completely blind child I have to say I am excited to see this!! I hope they will also add braille to the money!

You can get an idea of what Euro notes and coins look like here.

The notes increase in size as the denomination increases and the coins differ in size and have features that make judging them by touch a little easier.

I can't think of a single reason why with all the "new" bills coming out (the ones with the big purple number on them, etc...) that they haven't designed a Braille imprint for the the bills- heck they have those magnetic strips in them, why not Braille?

It should have been done without question, IMO.

I can't think of a single reason why with all the "new" bills coming out (the ones with the big purple number on them, etc...) that they haven't designed a Braille imprint for the the bills- heck they have those magnetic strips in them, why not Braille?
I agree! I can't even explain how excited that I can now teach my 9 year old more about money

Sadly, a few people are complaining that it will take loads of funding to get paper money blind-friendly. In my opinion, if people are worried over funding a paper money change endeavor, then our gov't could cut back on the novelty printing of coins (ie: state quarters, nickel makeovers, etc), and direct those printing monies to making paper money blind friendly. Coins are rarely faked, so there is no immediate need for redone coins... and coins are distinguishable enough that the blind will not have problems with them. It's about darn time that blind friendly paper money was put in place.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back