Larry King Live - Thursday, May 22, 2008

Leila

Reaction score
On his program on May 21st, Larry King announced that his program tonight, May 22, would feature a re-visit to the FLDS compound in Eldorado, Texas for interviews with the FLDS members there.

Check your local schedule for Larry King Live (CNN) for the time in your area.

I want to bump this to make sure everyone has a chance to see it. The Larry King Live program should be interesting.

Did you hear that one female who when asked what she thinks that the rest of the world is against plural marriages said "they're just uneducated"????:confused::confused::confused: She had a seriously smarmy look on her face. Didn't make me feel too much for her, I must say.

"UNEDUCATED"??? :laugh::croc: If that's the case, I'll stick with being "uneducated".

Same here, mykodiak!

I actually agree with her on the uneducated comment. Sure, we have schools, and colleges, and real life, and TV, and friends, and family, and jobs etc. You know, all of those ways of learning. However, we are not exposed to polygamy in an atmosphere that works so our opinion is very biased because we see it very differently. We are not in a part of the world where it is commonly practiced. We do not know the people (males, females, children). We do not understand the good things that polygamy may offer those that want to live that life style. We also do not understand their religious beliefs. In those aspects, they do understand the situation better than we do.

I seem to caveat too many of my comments this way. Take away the abuse, the underage sex, etc. and I think she was making a valid point.

Whether you agree or disagree with her, it is important to listen to her and hear what she is trying to say, not what we read into what she is saying.

That's the same "Maggie" Jessop saying we're uneducated who wrote the opinion piece "I am an FLDS woman and I am entitled to the same rights as you" (Opinion, May 11) at the Salt Lake Tribune. (This reply was posted in response: http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/ci_9294696
FLDS rights Public Forum Letter.)

I believe that within that 10,000 number of members of the FLDS, that some do NOT abuse their children. Those persons probably have no idea of the levels of abuse that go on within certain families who are close to the "power" of the group.

The majority of those who were handpicked, who follow Warren Jeffs edicts to the letter, and that were selected to go to YFZ were from a core group within the FLDS that centers around the "prophet" and the leaders. Although there are former members of the FLDS who weren't of that core group and reported that it also occurred in their families. However, this core group pretty much consists of specific families. Within those particular families it has been reported by former flds who are members of those families, that sexual, mental and physical abuse does occur.

I don't have to be "educated" in polygamy to understand that these people, former polygamists, who reported the abuse suffered pain, humiliation and abuse. Nor do I need to be "educated" in polygamy to know that polygamy does give certain benefits to some people who seek that lifestyle, but for others, it does not.

How "educated" in polygamy does one need to be to understand that?

On Nancy Grace the other night it was reported that the authorities have a "treature trove of evidence." It was also reported that the Texas Rangers have begun their investigation into Dr. Barlow of the FLDS YFZ ranch.

On Nancy Grace the other night it was reported that the authorities have a "treature trove of evidence." It was also reported that the Texas Rangers have begun their investigation into Dr. Barlow of the FLDS YFZ ranch.
Good!

Here's the link:
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP.../26/ng.01.html
"Yes, he is a member of this sect. You have to believe that he was involved intimately with the birthing of babies, no matter what the age of the women are. Yes, if there were teenage girls on this compound giving birth, he was there. He would know about it. And yes, we`re told, Texas rangers have begun their investigation into Dr. Barlow

I have a feeling that they will have more on him than being the doctor who attended the births of underage girls.

Remember the kids with broken bones? Most likely the doctor attended those. Remember the statistics on disability in the FLDS? The 'good' doctor is supposed to keep the state advised of those. The 'good' doctor is also supposed to make sure that all births and deaths are reported to the state. I have a feeling that the prison will get some additional medical assistance at some point- although he will probably lose his license first.

IMHO

I have a feeling that they will have more on him than being the doctor who attended the births of underage girls.

Remember the kids with broken bones? Most likely the doctor attended those. Remember the statistics on disability in the FLDS? The 'good' doctor is supposed to keep the state advised of those. The 'good' doctor is also supposed to make sure that all births and deaths are reported to the state. I have a feeling that the prison will get some additional medical assistance at some point- although he will probably lose his license first.

IMHO
Very good possibility. Nancy Grace asked a doc from John Hopkins University about those broken bones, and he said it was his belief that unless they were routinely deprived of calcium, milk etc.. that the children would be no more likely to be susceptible to broken or brittle bones than any other children.

Dr. Barlow, if he sticks around after his sessions with the Rangers might find it difficult to treat his "prophet" in the Utah or AZ jail from now on. Which by the way, I find it highly suspect that he was allowed to in the first place.

Carolyn Jessop was on Larry King Live just now. He asked her if she knew how many wives Warren Jeffs has. She said that, at the last count that she was aware of, he had 180. :eek: 180 Wives!!! :eek:

180 wives? There are 365 days a year. That means that each wife could have her husband about twice a year. I would guess the 'favorites' would get him the extra days. Can you imagine the callous he must have on that thing? LOL, his prison stay means he is allowed to sleep alone for a while! He doesn't see that as punishment, he sees that as a break!

Carolyn Jessop was on Larry King Live just now. He asked her if she knew how many wives Warren Jeffs has. She said that, at the last count that she was aware of, he had 180. :eek: 180 Wives!!! :eek:

Yikes! He's like the Wilt Chamberlain of the FLDS.

180 wives? There are 365 days a year. That means that each wife could have her husband about twice a year. I would guess the 'favorites' would get him the extra days. Can you imagine the callous he must have on that thing? LOL, his prison stay means he is allowed to sleep alone for a while! He doesn't see that as punishment, he sees that as a break!
Actually some of those wives are older and are probably "caretaker" wives. You can bet he was spending some time with the younger of them, although Naomi Jessop appeared to be a favorite, she's allowed to visit and call him and was with him when he was captured...and she was allowed to wear jeans and a t -shirt, (as both were without their "religious" clothing when captured.) That might be because she was one of the women who supported his takeover from Rulon Jeffs.

I actually agree with her on the uneducated comment. Sure, we have schools, and colleges, and real life, and TV, and friends, and family, and jobs etc. You know, all of those ways of learning. However, we are not exposed to polygamy in an atmosphere that works so our opinion is very biased because we see it very differently. We are not in a part of the world where it is commonly practiced. We do not know the people (males, females, children). We do not understand the good things that polygamy may offer those that want to live that life style. We also do not understand their religious beliefs. In those aspects, they do understand the situation better than we do.

I seem to caveat too many of my comments this way. Take away the abuse, the underage sex, etc. and I think she was making a valid point.

Whether you agree or disagree with her, it is important to listen to her and hear what she is trying to say, not what we read into what she is saying.

This is just a wonderful post RainbowsAndGumdrops

It heartens me to know that people like you are still around in this world, thinking your way through situations. I just wanted to tell you that.

my hats off to you,

glow

According to former members Warren Jeff's house had color coded signs on every wife's door. According to his own rules sex can only happen when the wife is ovulating - in fact, it is REQUIRED the husband have sex with the wife every time the wife is ovulating until she becomes pregnant. So Warren's house had little red, yellow and green signs on every wife's door - red, no sex, yellow, sex soon, green sex now.

Assuming that at any given time there would be wives not ovulating due to pregnancy (no sex during pregnancy), menopause (no sex if not ovulating), or wives being ill I would assume the "burden" on Warren Jeffs would not be too heavy for him to handle. 40 or 50 of Warren's wives were his father's and would now be over 50 and he would not be having sex with any of them (must save sperm for YOUNG fertile wives) and for the 3 years before he was apprehended he had wives scattered in at least 5 locations from Mexico to Canada - impossible to service all the ovulating wives each month with them in many far-flung compounds.

I assume one way a "break" is achieved within the "rules" is for the husband to be working away from home most of the time. If hubby is away when ovulation happens he is off the hook for another month - and of course frequent pregancy means the woman is off limits for a year with each baby. The FLDS forbids sex for "fun" and if the wife isn't ovulating she is unavailable for sex - procreation only - and yes, the husbands do keep a fertility chart and records for EACH WIFE so they know exactly when they MUST have sex with each one to achieve pregnancy. It's very much like a Dairy Farm - one "bull" carefully scheduled keeps the cows pregnant and keeps them producing until they are too old - at which point she is replaced with a young heifer or two.

I am sure Warren was very diligent in his husbandly duties - especially with his underage wives who were all conveniently located together in just a couple of locations "or houses of hiding" with one of the older non-ovulating wives to keep them in line.

My Opinion

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back