1244 users online (284 members and 960 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Hopeful One is offline Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light

Appeals Court: TX Had No Right to Remove Kids

SAN ANGELO, Texas (CNN) -- The state of Texas should not have removed more than 400 children it took from a polygamist sect's ranch, an appeals court ruled Thursday.

Earlier this year, authorities raided the Yearning for Zion ranch in Eldorado, Texas, after they received reports of child abuse.

About 460 children were taken from the ranch, which is run by the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, a polygamist sect linked to the jailed "prophet" Warren Steed Jeffs.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/05/22/...ing/index.html
    Last edited by Hopeful One; 05-22-2008 at 02:00 PM. Reason: add snippet

Justice for Travis

Sometimes the first step towards forgiveness is understanding that the other person is a complete idiot.

This is NOT good news, but I expect it will go to a higher court. The ruling did not say the children have to be returned, and it did not say the investigation had to be stopped.

I just hope this doesn't garner sympathy for this group.

Blue_Dolphin308 is offline We can't help everyone, But everyone can help someone!
    I am DUMBFOUNDED! Holy crap, what are these judes thinking!!!!!!!!!

Hopeful One is offline Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light
    I guess I should have put this under 'court rulings' instead of starting a new thread. Oops.

Justice for Travis

Sometimes the first step towards forgiveness is understanding that the other person is a complete idiot.

Blue_Dolphin308 is offline We can't help everyone, But everyone can help someone!
    no we needed a new thread.

But, if this flies, EVERY parent who has there children taken away by STATE now has a leg to stand on. Some people just don't think about the ramifications!

Geeez...I am shocked! Please take good notes of the press conference as I have to go out and will miss it

Will Do, I guess there is international law as well. Hubby says if all else fails Federal agents can put them in federal protective custody due to the vioolation of the "Man act" That is if Texas supreme court rules against CPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybass0711 View Post
    no we needed a new thread.

But, if this flies, EVERY parent who has there children taken away by STATE now has a leg to stand on. Some people just don't think about the ramifications!
    Not necessarily. The procedure for removing kids in general is pretty tested and proved. The new issue here is that CPS is treating the compound as one household. That is most likely what the court is questioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post
    Geeez...I am shocked! Please take good notes of the press conference as I have to go out and will miss it
    Yes, please. I can't watch it either so if someone is available to take notes, it would be greatly appreciated.

Justice for Travis

I will catch it on CNN, I don't know if MSNBC will have anything extra.

Here is the ruling:
    http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/ima...s.decision.pdf

It's terrible! I'm outraged. Those poor children.

As per CNN

Per FLDS Attorney

Its not clear when families will be reunited.

The court of Appeals, gives the trial court 10 days to follow the order.
    The court order only covers 39 woman and children, but they feel it will apply to all children because the appelate court did not find CPS had legal right to take the children.

Within 10 days the trial court that originally made the ruling must reverse that ruling, and allow the children to be returned, or the appelate court will mandate return. UNLESS CPS files an appeal with the state supreme court in which case the original ruling would remain in affect until after the supreme court rules.

The court ruled that cps was wrong in saying that the whole compoound was a household. There was evidence to the contrary that there were individual households. They cannot apply "abuse" to the entire ranch as there was individual households.

grrr they broke away to cover the tornadoes in colorado

This goes back to the issue of "Did Texas overstep their bounds" and "why hasn't Utah/ Arizona etc done this before. I hate to say this, but the system in America is set up in such a way that it is very difficult to do what is right (ie, stop the sexual assults on young girls). Texas took a strong position. Unfortunately, it is going to be very tough to uphold their stance.

I actually really liked the plans for getting the kids back. I agree that they were vague, but they made it clear that the children had to be in a home free of abuse, be educated, and understand and abide by the law. I thought the steps were reasonable and beneficial to the long term health, safety, and mental status of the people involved.

Well I know that this opinion is unpopular but I'm glad for this ruling. I voted in the poll somewhere on this forum that Texas had overstepped their bounds.

Well, Texas knew it was in for a hard battle from day one. I don't think that all of their cards have been played yet. With the FLDS's documented history of re-assigning women and children at the whim of their "prophet", I think CPS had a valid reason to consider the compound as one household. To them it was simply one large dorm...albeit split into different buildings.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast