johnny

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Woman Missing For Two Weeks
Video
Posted: 4/7/2004 10:00:00 AM
Updated: 4/7/2004 10:20:14 AM

It's been more than two weeks since a disabled Clarksville woman was last seen by her friends.

The woman, Mary Alice Cox, 54, was last seen on March 20.

There was no trace of Cox until last week. “Tuesday night I got a phone call…this woman's husband out on the river found Mary's purse floating on bank,” said Lillie Brindley, Cox’s housemate.

The purse was found 10 miles away from her home.

Cox is mentally challenged, diagnosed as bipolar and suffers from emphysema, friends said.

Her friends said police waited too long to inform the public she was missing. Police investigators said they don't suspect foul play.

Anyone with information on Cox’s location should call Clarksville police at 931-645-TIPS.

http://www.newschannel5.com/content...archResults&selQT=ALL&sContent=mary+alice+cox

http://www.nampn.org/cases/cox_mary_alice.html

Details of Disappearance
Cox left the group home where she lived on Vivian Drive on March 20, 2004 and has not returned. Police and her daughter say she has bipolar disorder, meaning her moods can shift dramatically if not controlled with medication. Cox had gone missing before but police picked her up and brought her back home.

Authorities found a purse belonging to Cox on a river bank in a rural area of Montgomery County several days after her disappearance. She could be in the Clarksville area or in Nashville, where she has family. There is also a chance she could be in Florida or Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Praying that she comes home soon.

please post a pic of your loved one.
bluestarzzz
the link did not come up for me

NamUs updated with another photo of Mary Alice.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/117

Daughter hopes for answers in mother’s 2004 disappearance

by: Nikki McGee
Posted: Jan 3, 2023 / 02:02 PM CST
Updated: Jan 3, 2023 / 02:02 PM CST

CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) — The pain of not knowing what happened to a missing loved one is hard to imagine by those who haven’t experienced it. For one Clarksville family, that pain has lingered for more than 18 years.

“She loved music, she loved to dance, she loved to go for walks, wasn’t real, real sociable. She loved me, I was her only child and I was pretty much her world,” Connie Diffenderfer told News 2’s Nikki McGee.

Diffenderfer was talking about her mother, Mary Alice Cox, who disappeared almost two decades ago.

Cox, who struggled with mental illness, was 54-years-old when she was living in a group home on Vivian Drive in Clarksville.

The case hasn’t been talked about often, but for Diffenderfer, it has always been top of mind.

“She wasn’t at her best, but she also wasn’t psychotic the day that I talked to her, she was completely fine as far as being able to have a conversation,” Diffenderfer remembered.

March 20, 2004, Cox went to buy cigarettes but never returned.

“I just expected her to walk to the market, get her cigarettes, and come back and I’d talk to her the next day,” said her daughter.

About two weeks later, Cox’s purse and medication were found along the Cumberland River near Stewart County. She was diagnosed with COPD and relied on intermittent oxygen.

“She would have had to have sought medical care to be able to breathe. She needed oxygen to be able to do that,” Diffenderfer continued, “I know something happened to her. I just don’t know what.”

Diffenderfer believes her mother got a ride from someone who didn’t take her home.

“If I let myself go there, it’s devastating because I don’t know if she was hurting, I don’t know if she was afraid, alone, and I know she would be thinking about me,” she said.

Cox’s disappearance has gone cold for Clarksville Police. Anyone with information, no matter how insignificant it might seem, is urged to come forward.

“Mothers Day comes around, her birthday comes around, the date that she went missing comes around… to be able to not even know how to respond because you just don’t know what happened,” her daughter reflected.

Tips can be submitted anonymously by calling Clarksville Crime Stoppers at 931-645-TIPS (8477).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back