1159 users online (249 members and 910 guests)  

Websleuths News

Vets install pacemaker in search-and-rescue dog.

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the Pet Corner of here. I just thought more people would see this here. Mod's, feel free to move it.

COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP) - After years of helping authorities look for murder victims and survivors of natural disasters, a search-and-rescue dog named Molly has been rescued herself.

Surgeons at the University of Missouri College of Veterinary Medicine on Thursday installed a pacemaker in the 5-year-old chocolate Labrador retriever's heart. She needed the surgery after being diagnosed with a complete electrical heart blockage.

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/vets-install-pacemaker-in-search-and/n20080523071909990005?ecid=RSS0001

wow, i didn't know they picked that up on the A&P.... that's one of our local stories!!!!
    her name is the unsinkable molly brown and she has been a faithful search and rescue dog in our many tragedies in the four states for years. we hoped that the vet school was going to be able to do the trick (as a Mizzou grad, I know that they did a great job!!!). I am so glad everything went GREAT!
    here's the local stories.
    http://www.joplinglobe.com/local/loc...143225704.html
    http://www.joplinglobe.com/local/loc...142212241.html - touching pics on this one with the families daughter and the unsinkable molly brown

Whoooooo hoooooo! What great news!

I hope she lives a very long and healthy life now! She deserves it

An extremely worthy, valuable and wonderful dog who deserves to live her life to the full, bless her.

Just warms my heart when precious pooches are valued and well taken care of.
    Above is my opinion only

This is a beautiful story, and I am so glad that such caring efforts all the way around are going into saving beloved Molly and hopefully giving her a new lease on a quality life. At the end the article stated something like that if Molly can save or help just one more person it would have been worth it. I think that even if she needs to stay retired that it was soooooooo worth it. This dog is a life saver, and the people who love and who have trained her are gems. I wish all animals could have this treatment when needed, but that is not reality. I am just happy that is beautiful dog had people who had her back and gave this gift to her.

Quote Originally Posted by LionRun View Post
    This is a beautiful story, and I am so glad that such caring efforts all the way around are going into saving beloved Molly and hopefully giving her a new lease on a quality life. At the end the article stated something like that if Molly can save or help just one more person it would have been worth it. I think that even if she needs to stay retired that it was soooooooo worth it. This dog is a life saver, and the people who love and who have trained her are gems. I wish all animals could have this treatment when needed, but that is not reality. I am just happy that is beautiful dog had people who had her back and gave this gift to her.
    I think the plan was for her to be able to go back into service if able... but if not, I am sure she will be loved all the same. She is not their only search and rescue dog.
    I don't think she performs her tasks daily, only when called to duty due to deaths, storms with damage (tornadoes), missing persons, etc. That was my understanding. They live just a little ways from me! Interesting story and neat that it is so close to home... maybe 10 miles!

Awe, I hope Molly can go back into service too. Wouldn't it be something if you ever meet her? Please let us know if by chance you do.

She sounds like a wonderful and helpful SAR dog. When we train for SAR the dogs train and keep up there skills at least three times per week. The training is physically demanding on both dog and handler at times. Different K9 SAR folks around the nation have some differing methods, training plans, and weather conditions. But, most of us agree that there is physical demand and the need for for full physical health (among other things our dogs must have) to remain mission ready. I hope and pray that Molly can continue her work, but if not she will have already done so very much.

My two SAR dogs are no longer working in the last year and a half. Spirit died unexpectedly and the cause of death upon necropsy was not found. Falcon lost his spleen in May and nearly lost his right lung in October. He is fine, but I cannot take the risk of him working hard in SAR without a spleen. His right lung has recovered fully, thank God. For this we are most grateful. We thought we would lose him twice in less than 6 months. When I read this thread about Molly and all that is being done for her I cried a river with joy--and a touch of sadness, I admit.