871 users online (133 members and 738 guests)  

Websleuths News

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."

AZ - Greg Holman, 14, Scottsdale, 8 Oct 1978

An underground fort once in the backyard of a Scottsdale home where police ended a search on Friday for more clues in a 30-year-old unsolved homicide case was more than a hole with planks of plywood over it.

In the late 1970s, that fort was where teenager Jon Benson used to live and lure other kids to drink alcohol and smoke pot in a "den of terror," according to past published reports in the Scottsdale Progress newspaper.

Benson's fort - which had been filled in by his father with a backhoe behind the family's former residence at 8650 E. Joshua Tree Lane in the early 1980s - was where a gruesome discovery was made on Dec. 22, 1992:

Partial human skeletal remains were unearthed and later identified as those of 14-year-old Greg Holman - missing since Oct. 8, 1978. Police said they had received a tip from Holman's sister about the fort's existence a month earlier, and officers searched the Benson home.

Benson, also 14 at the time of Holman's disappearance, was the last one to be seen with the Saguaro High School freshman as they left nearby Agua Linda Park that evening. He is the lone suspect in Holman's death and has been since his disappeared, according to Scottsdale police detectives.

Much, much more at this link:

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/117043

I hate the fact that his mom died not knowing what happened to her child.

Quote Originally Posted by MCDRAW View Post
    I hate the fact that his mom died not knowing what happened to her child.
    I think she knows now, McDraw.

((((hugs))))

Salem

This is one scary guy, and I hope he gets the DP. He has been molesting children his whole life according to the article !!! What a monster !!

Such a shame that Greg's mother died before his remains were found. Well, they were reunited in Heaven and may they now rest in peace. I hope his remaining family members can now find some closure.

He sounds similar to John Gacy. I wonder how many other "Greg's" are out there.

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Scary thought Nan.

He is only serving a 3 1/2 year sentence for a diffrent crime. I hope everything comes together for the detectives before he gets out.

Benson has always been the lone suspect and other kids knew about the fort and pot smoking, but the hole was never searched after the disappearance especially after being filled in? Incredible. Maybe they should take a look at what at all Benson's dad did too since he is the one who filled in the hole.

Wow. Deb I remember Greg's disappearance. How very, very sad for his dear mom.

Yeah, Benson and Benson Jr. sound like a team. 30 years.

I don't know. Something seems really odd in this case, I can't quite put my finger on it.

1978 He was last seen in the company of Benson, he goes missing.

1980's Father fills in the fort.

1992 Body found after a tip

2006 Case reopened.

early 2007 Case sent to County Attorney, still being reviewed

2008 The fort is searched for the first time?

There are too many years between each event, too little seems to have been done during each event.

Cali -- but im a north east girl at heart!
    mysteriew ... i was thinkin the same thing ...

Per a FB post Investigation Discovery is in Scottsdale for this case. It states they're doing interviews. I hope more comes out on this case than we already know.
    Keep your children safe. Keep them close. Love them like there's no tomorrow.

Why are there years and years between each update to this story?
    “Evil begins when you begin to treat people as things.” -- Terry Pratchett

Just watched the "Murder Book" episode for this case on the ID channel; Benson served 7 years in prison and was released this past October. Since he was 15 when he committed the murder, he was charged as a minor. He also won't reveal what exactly happened that night with Greg and not all of Greg's remains have been located . He truly damaged many people's lives during that time period; including all the young boys he abused in his "fort". I know the justice system is flawed at times and him serving just seven years is proof of that, imo. On a side-note though, I don't believe Benson's father was involved with anything.

Several things bother me about this case. First, Benson was 15 at the time of the murder. What 15-year-old, presumably first-time murderer, is savvy enough to not only A) remove and effectively dispose of his victim's head and hands so that the body, if discovered, would not be identified (at least not until DNA technology came into play), B) bury most of a human body in his own back yard, all without being noticed (he had to have been covered in dirt and blood). Second, while there's no way to disprove that his father, as claimed, simply filled in that old fort because he caught Jon drinking there, and did so not so very long after the murder, it's darned convenient. Finally, he apparently was known to have sexually abused several neighborhood children back in the day. Sexual predators don't just quit. I hope the police are still keeping an eye on this guy. It's a travesty that he was sentenced as a minor.

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew View Post
    I don't know. Something seems really odd in this case, I can't quite put my finger on it.

1978 He was last seen in the company of Benson, he goes missing.

1980's Father fills in the fort.

1992 Body found after a tip

2006 Case reopened.

early 2007 Case sent to County Attorney, still being reviewed

2008 The fort is searched for the first time?

There are too many years between each event, too little seems to have been done during each event.
    Is it possible these guys are in relation? This guy dismembered his victims. He died and was shipped back to family in Arizona - maybe to be buried in the hole?

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/200...-killing-dies/