1007 users online (165 members and 842 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

NOT RIGHT: Police close case on Zodiac

So these murders don't matter anymore? Why? So much time passed? What if this was their own loved one? Why would they NOT still seek justice. Seems like they are basically washing their hands of it, depending on the DNA to "eventually" solve it.

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20040407_2239.html

Zodiac

I don't really think they are washing their hands. A murder case is open forever, unless it gets solved. I think they have just run out of things to check out. I was a member of the Baltimore City Police Dept for 25 years, and did some cold case investigations, and once a case gets cold, about the only thing that is going to solve it is if a person with personal information steps up and tells. Nowdays DNA helps solve cases, but you have to have a specific person to match. I think the Zodiac case is a dead end, and has been for years. I don't believe it will ever be solved. If the Zodiac killer was the closemouthed type and never told anyone, that is it.

But they always tell someone, atleast one person. That person has got to come forward.

Maybe it is a strategic move. By announcing the closing of the investigation, they may inspire the killer (or someone who knows who it is) to resurface. Maybe they will get some more letters.

IMO, it is an unsolvable case unless new information comes out.

That was my thought too Cypros. Maybe they're hoping he'll send another letter like BTK did a few weeks ago.

Tic Tac Toe Murders

Around 1965 I was a young patrolman working the midnight shift, and we began finding bodies, 5 in all, spaced over a period of two or three months, all had been murdered and dropped off in the same area. All had been strangled, but the medical examiner said that before they died the killer had played tic tac toe on their bodies with a sharp knife. All the victims were what in those days we called "smokehounds", or bums, today they are called homeless. Evidently the killer was picking them up, taking them somewhere, and killing them after torturing them, and then dropping them off. We never got close to solving the case.

Wow bnevin, I really have enjoyed your posts drawing on your vast experience and I love Baltimore, we are 5 hours away now, but used to live in Bel Air. What a great city. Do Don and Marty still do the morning news?? I loved their show, but its been a few years!

Hi bneven... I am so glad you have joined Websleuths... I am looking forward to more of your posts.

The Tic Tac Toe guy just stopped killing? or perhaps moved on?

Interesting Bnevin. I believe that Zodiac did hold true to his letters, making it "seem" like accidents... that is, after his proven murder spree. But I think he had done other crimes that he didn't lay claim to because he might have made mistakes.

Very interesting. You must of had an interesting career.

PS: edited: in news archives I found a date of a newspaper story of September 1, 1966. I'm gonna see if I can pull up the story. It's probably the same. Newspaper is from Maryland. Although it doesn't say that's where the crimes happened

I am assuming this freak was never caught?
    God, how do people live like that?

Quote Originally Posted by mindys
    But they always tell someone, atleast one person. That person has got to come forward.

Not necessarily. WHo did Ted Bundy tell? Who did Jeffrey Dahmer confinde in? What about Gacy?

IMO, this guy probably moved somewhere else, maybe changed his MO.....who knows. Aren't most serial cases solved by common police tactics? (Like a living witness, or a parking ticket, or an officer just pulling someone over?)

tic tac toe

1966 would be about right. There were a couple of bizarre turns to the murders. The medical examiner said that in his opinion the victims had been undressed, and then tortured. He said that after their deaths the murderer had washed the bodies clean, and then redressed them, right down to tieing their shoelaces properly. We never even got to having a suspect in the case. It was an industrial area, closed down about six pm, and the victims were picked up late at night, and obviously were lured into a car with the promise of a drink, or something of that order. The only thing we ever had was the accounts of some of the smokehounds who said they saw a large chrysler auto cruising the neighborhood a couple of times, and that was it. If the killer never told anyone, there is no way the case could have been solved.
    Last edited by bnevin; 04-12-2004 at 07:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Note to Mindys

Yes, Don and Marty still do it, still as nutty as ever.

I thought the police have several strong suspects in the murders just not enough evidence to arrest the man.

I know a few yrs ago some man was saying his dad was the Zodiac, but I think he was proven wrong.

I think the "better" serial killers are caught with lotsa luck, and usually for other things. Ted Bundy was caught for his bad driving, and wasn't Dahmer first suspected for distrubing the peace or domestic violence with one of his victims? I think the longer these killers go uncaught the better some of them get. I think it is possible to never tell anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryMomma
    I know a few yrs ago some man was saying his dad was the Zodiac, but I think he was proven wrong.
    Are you confusing the Zodiac with the Black Dahlia? Believe a policeman was accusing his father, a skilled surgeon who was having an affair with Elizabeth Short, the Black Dahlia.

zodiac

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryMomma
    I thought the police have several strong suspects in the murders just not enough evidence to arrest the man.
    It seemed like the police had 2-3 good suspects. One was a man named Leigh. He worked a menial job, but had attended a lot of college courses. The zodiac probably was pretty bright judging by his writings and his plan of killing people to form a pattern on a map of the area. Leigh had done something in the army where he had used semaphores, different types of drawn symbols which were used for communication. The notes that were sent to the police also used these same symbols. There may have also been other connections that I don't remember. Leigh died in 1978, I think. IMO, he was likely the zodiac. Notice that he did tell someone else, but in a way as to try to keep his identity a secret.
    This is my opinion, and change is good.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast