Scuba couple recued after being left behind

TheShadow

Reaction score
Sacramento woman, friend rescued after 19 hours adrift off Australia

They found themselves alone, lost and drifting further away in the lukewarm waters above the Great Barrier Reef in Australia.
Sacramento scuba diver and business owner Allyson Dalton, who just months ago earned a dive master certification, was bound to her boyfriend – their cold wet suits tied tightly as they bobbed along the ocean's surface,
It was like this for 19 terrifying hours before Dalton and her companion, Richard Neely, 38, of Britain, were rescued by a helicopter crew Saturday off Australia's eastern coast.

http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/966014.html

How terrifying! I thought after that incident a few years ago that safeguards had been put in place to prevent this from happening again!

I heard on some tv morning show this morning that they think this couple planned it:rolleyes:

SHARK INFESTED WATERS...who would plan something like that?

I can't imagine this being planned. Sometimes these so-called news shows try to make up controversy. This lady is a respected business owner here. Why in the world would they plan to possibly drown or get eaten?

Looks like the couple stands to make possibly a million dollars or more from movie/books/interviews and the rescue effort cost into the tens of thousands so there are those that are a little ticked that the couple have not said ' we will help pay back some of the $ that went into our rescue from our new found wealth' (something like that) and are saying nasty things about them.

i have read about this happening multiple times on various boards related to sandals and beaches resorts... (and others - all inclusives that do scuba / snorkeling) however, i think that it usually is resolved within minutes, not hours. i remember the one i read about on sandals they kind of freaked, and it might have been the second time it happened, so they were trying to fix whatever had happened... the people were left for like, 20 min or something and they were ok. they do not go far off the property.

There was a movie where this happened called Open Waters. It was a terrifying movie that I couldn't get out of my mind for a very long time. Nightmare material. (THe sequel was not good,though).

The movie was a fictionalized story based on the real incident that happened in Australia some years ago (as mentioned in the article). Of course no one knew what those people really went through. That couple was never found and presumed drowned or eaten by sharks. That movie left me disturbed for a long time.

The movie was a fictionalized story based on the real incident that happened in Australia some years ago (as mentioned in the article). Of course no one knew what those people really went through. That couple was never found and presumed drowned or eaten by sharks. That movie left me disturbed for a long time.

Same here :(

yeah, it was really disturbing.

I don't see how any money is worth spending 19 hours floating around in the ocean just in scuba gear. Heck NO!

There was a movie where this happened called Open Waters. It was a terrifying movie that I couldn't get out of my mind for a very long time. Nightmare material. (THe sequel was not good,though).

That's the first thing I thought of reading this thread was Open Waters. I can't being to imagine the fear of being left at sea.

I saw the couple this morning on The Today Show. They said they plan to pay back the $300,000 the search effort cost as they had scuba insurance that pays for any accident or mishap including medical costs and search/rescue efforts. They said they feel that what the insurance won't pay should be paid by the dive company that planned the trip and who left them out in the waters. They denied not following the guildelines of the dive company and called that allegation "preposterous". I didn't hear that anyone had accused them of doing this purposely and agree that no one would willingly do something like this to gain money, but I suppose stranger things have happened in the name of money.

How would you plan it? I mean, the dive crew is responsible for counting the number of people they take out and bring in, regardless of what the couple does. They had better have some good evidence if they are going to make allegations like that.

Like, footage of one of them altering paperwork or something. Why????

ETA: Open Water is one of the creepiest movies I have ever seen. And folks, that is saying something!

I think you'd have to have a death wish to plan to be left behind in open water.

That's exactly what I thought of when I read the initial post. Open Waters was a terrific movie!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sugarheart27
Back