Energy drinks linked to risky behavior among teenagers

Floh

Former Member
Reaction score
In March, The Journal of American College Health published a report on the link between energy drinks, athletics and risky behavior. The study's author, Kathleen Miller, an addiction researcher at the University of Buffalo, says it suggests that high consumption of energy drinks is associated with "toxic jock" behavior, a constellation of risky and aggressive behaviors including unprotected sex, substance abuse and*violence.
The finding doesn't mean the drinks cause bad behavior. But the data suggest that regular consumption of energy drinks may be a red flag for parents that their children are more likely to take risks with their health and safety. "It appears the kids who are heavily into drinking energy drinks are more likely to be the ones who are inclined toward taking risks," Miller*said.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/05/27/healthscience/27well.php

Is this really surprising? :confused:

I read that Britney blamed drinking too many Red Bulls for the Madonna kiss.

I see young people drinking shots chased by Red Bull in the bars. Wow. I can believe this.

Eve

My son is allowed one "Monster" per week. That's it. I don't know if they promote risky behavior or not, but they're loaded with sugar and horrible for the teeth. If he didn't need to put on weight, I wouldn't even allow him to have any.

Well, all that extra energy has to go somewhere. Seems like a no brainer and not that surprising.

Now as an adult my friends do occasionally buy a round of Red Bull and Jager shots when we are out, but I prefer to leave the Red Bull out of the equation when I buy for myself. Why screw up perfectly good Jager with that awful tasting crap? :crazy:

Obviously... and bad parenting to boot.

Another reason to tell my son not to drink that stuff. I've heard more bad than good about these drinks. It's considered a cool thing among teenagers and many I talked to don't even like the taste. They just do it for the cool factor.

I'm with you curious1. I wanted my Jager pristine and untainted!

Anyone with teenaged boys and those in their early 20s know that they honestly don't need any encouragement (other than friends saying "yeah, that's cool, do that") in order to engage in risky behavior. The snowboarding, skateboarding, biking craze is all the rage these days and guys are going to be out there doing it. I honestly think that men "need" that type of gung ho attitude or they wouldn't be able to do some of the jobs that some of them do.

doesn't surprise me at all. why do people feel they need to drink this stuff anyway??
you're just making those companies rich. just say NO, and don't drink the stuff. and i don't get the fascination with red bull.. that stuff is absolutely gross. i am convinced that everyone is drinking it only because their intensive marketing campaign has been successful and all the sheeple are brainwashed into liking it because they see everyone else drinking it. typical.

did anyone see 'idiocracy'?? brilliant movie... it speaks volumes about the how we have become an 'energy drink nation'.....

doesn't surprise me at all. why do people feel they need to drink this stuff anyway??
you're just making those companies rich. just say NO, and don't drink the stuff. and i don't get the fascination with red bull.. that stuff is absolutely gross. i am convinced that everyone is drinking it only because their intensive marketing campaign has been successful and all the sheeple are brainwashed into liking it because they see everyone else drinking it. typical.

did anyone see 'idiocracy'?? brilliant movie... it speaks volumes about the how we have become an 'energy drink nation'.....

Water is absolutely the best thing to drink, no doubt. However, every so often after my son has had to be at band practice at 6:45 every school day, play football on a Thursday, get up early for school on Friday, play in the marching band during the games Friday night and still be at school at 6:45 on Saturday morning for practice (all the while trying to keep his grades up), some sugar comes in handy! That's not to say it should be a fix. But, those are the times when I allow him to bring one with him.

I drink red bull on occasion and Im not what you would call a risk taker.

I only drink it for migraines since the caffeine is the only thing to stop it in its tracks, which happens every time I accidentally ingest gluten.

I always drink red bulls and vodka or with any other alcohol basically....but i NEVER drink them when im not drinking. they give me horrible headaches and just make me sick!

Anyone with teenaged boys and those in their early 20s know that they honestly don't need any encouragement (other than friends saying "yeah, that's cool, do that") in order to engage in risky behavior. The snowboarding, skateboarding, biking craze is all the rage these days and guys are going to be out there doing it. I honestly think that men "need" that type of gung ho attitude or they wouldn't be able to do some of the jobs that some of them do.

I agree with you!

I think a healthy amount "risky behavior" is a normal and essential part of growing up.

I drink red bull on occasion and Im not what you would call a risk taker.

I only drink it for migraines since the caffeine is the only thing to stop it in its tracks, which happens every time I accidentally ingest gluten.

Me too. An occasional Monster or Rock Star when I am super tired, or have a migraine. They don't taste that bad, but they sure get your heart racing! My friends think it's funny when I get that hyper. I talk a mile a minute! I've never heard of Super Spiker.

Cynically marketed, toxic and disturbing: Why Red Bull is Britain's real drink problem

Red Bull has been banned from sale in Norway, Denmark, Uruguay and Iceland, while health departments in France, Ireland, Turkey, Sweden and the U.S. have expressed concern.

A spate of medical studies have also highlighted potential problems.
But what is perhaps most relevant to 21st-century Britain is the role of Red Bull in our binge-drinking culture.

Mixed with vodka, it has become a staple of the student and twenty-something hard-drinking crowd - an ideal way to keep partying longer and harder.

Indeed, in a devastating analysis of Britain's binge-drinking epidemic, Chief Constable Stephen Otter, head of the Devon and Cornwall police, found that the typical consumption for a young British woman on a night out was eight vodka and Red Bull cocktails.

What he did not point out is that in terms of caffeine intake alone, that was equivalent to drinking 16 cups of instant coffee.

And the real trouble, say experts, is that mixing caffeine, a stimulant, with alcohol, a depressant, is like getting into a car and applying the accelerator and brake pedals at the same time.

'The symptoms of drunkenness are reduced - but not the drunkenness itself,' says Professor Mary Claire O'Brien, an American doctor, whose research into the subject was recently published. 'They can't tell if they're drunk. They can't tell if someone else is drunk. So they get hurt - or they hurt someone else.'

Much more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...Why-Red-Bull-Britains-real-drink-problem.html

Interesting read. I had no idea it was banned in certain locales. I don't drink the stuff just because it's like $2+ for that small can.

Interesting read. I had no idea it was banned in certain locales. I don't drink the stuff just because it's like $2+ for that small can.

I've had a can in the fridge for around 6 weeks. i've never actually tried it. i got it for an expected early morning to give me a wake-up jolt, but forgot and went on my merry way.

i think i'm going to get it right now and see what happens . . . :dance::dance::dance:

Ugh, the taste alone drives me away. (Red Bull)

I've seen little kids in the neighborhood chugging it in the morning. :eek:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back