Identified! WI - Racine Co., WhtFem 199UFWI, 14-25, cauliflower ear, western shirt, July'99 - Peggy Lynn Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am from Wisconsin, and I follow missing cases regularily and have only heard of this case through my own research...I don't think Wisconsin has a very good system of reporting missing adults. :(

Doe profile

Distinguishing Characteristics: She had sun highlights in her short brown hair. Her eyes were brown, but do not exclude hazel. Each ear was double pierced and there appears to be no scars or tattoos. She had a "Cauliflower" deformation on her right ear that may have come from a recent injury. Possibly cognitively disabled.
Dentals: Available. She had fairly poor dentition, and had protruding front teeth. Several teeth were missing or decayed.
Clothing: She was wearing a man's gray and silver country and western shirt with snap buttons and a red floral pattern on the front of the shirt along with black sweatpants. The manufacturer of the shirt, Karman, informed police that it was produced and distributed throughout the United States about 15 years ago.

Department of Justice-Wisconsin profile

NCMEC profile

Printable poster

Case Type: Unidentified
DOB: Jan 1, 1969
Sex: Female
Missing Date: Jul 21, 1999
Race: White
Age Now: 36
Height: 5'8" (173 cm)
Weight: 120 lbs (54 kg)
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Missing City: RACINE
Missing State : WI
Missing Country: United States

Case Number: NCMU400013
Circumstances: This homicide victim was found alongside a cornfield in a rural area of Wisconsin on July 21, 1999. She is believed to be between 17 and 30 years old. Her eyes were brown, but do not exclude hazel. Each ear was double pierced and there appears to be no scars or tattoos. She was wearing a silver-gray shirt shown at right. She had sun highlights in her short brown hair. The "DOB" and "Age Now" fields are approximations. The image shown is a NCMEC computer-assisted facial reconstruction.

I searched NCMEC missing Wisconsin females for the past 35 years and there is not a suitable match. It's possible she was missing as an adult, if the age approximation is correct with a DOB of 1969.

I then searched the NCMA for the state of Wisconsin, and here are the matches, male and female. None were even close. Wrong hair color, wrong eye color, wrong height, wrong timeframe, etc.

The most comprehensive list is on The Charley Project where I only found two possibles.
Ruth Ellen Mazuchowski matches in height, weight and age range, but the eye color is wrong.

Amber Lynn Wilde has eight piercings in each ear, so that eliminates her.

It's entirely possible she was never reported missing by anyone. *sigh*

Unless someone steps forward with information about who this might be, she may not be identified. It's been five and a half years, and no one has come forward, but it's also possible she's not from Wisconsin, either.

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Racine County Sheriff's Office at 414-636-3211

NCIC Number: U-520000267
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Thanks for posting her, goneinasecond. Everyone deserves a name.
With HOPE, Lanie

It makes me so sad to hear about these types of cases. I agree everyone deserves a name. My gut feeling is that she is a runaway from an abusive family who will never acknowledge her. The dental impressions are from someone who was not cared for. She was probably hitching from somewhere else.

There is a serial killer who was a long haul driver by the name of Keith Hunter Jesperson who was eventually incarcerated. He has a weird sense of honor. It could be worth someone's while to question him about this murder. He has admitted to several, he is known as the Happy Face killer. He has issues with women and particularly women who hitch and expect gratuity. He fits what I see happened to this lady. BTW, there is a book about him called "The creation of a serial killer" by Jack Olsen. Not that it would make the classics but it is a good read on the mindset of one that did talk.

There's a Jane Doe buried in a cemetery near me, and for years I've been interested in trying to find out who she is but I don't even know where to start. I remember when they found her one of my daughter's male friends was asked if he could identify her because someone reported she had been hanging around the punk scene in a neighboring town and he knew practically everyone in the scene. He didn't know who she was but said she was beaten very badly. About a year later my daughter and I stumbled upon her grave while I was out doing some photography at local cemeteries. We noticed over the past couple of years a lot of things have changed at the grave, like she has a tombstone now and people leave small things on her grave, teddy bears, a bracelet, things like that. I myself have visited her grave probably 20 or 30 times, and taken quite a few pictures of it. I know how morbid that sounds but I've always liked cemeteries. As to why I'm so drawn to this particular one I'm not sure.

This was someone's child, and there's never anything new but the investigation is still open.

She's case file 199UFWI on doenetwork.org if anyone cares to take a look and see if they recognize her.

My daughter and I were going to go out there again today but she's ready to give birth anyday and even though it's a peaceful setting I wouldn't want to have to deliver my grandson there.

If she was in the "punk" scene I would say that she wasn't very old, wouldn't you? I know there are some older people in the scene but to me she looks very young.

i did a search and found this http://www.doj.state.wi.us/missingkids/
in which they say she's 34?
I have to say, I was very discouraged by the fact that there doesnt' seem to be a large number of Missing imformation on kids from that area.. I know there are more kids that run away, and that's what I would guess about her.

But then again, who knows right?

Why do they think she was possibly "cognitively disabled"
And if they thought that Jason Strong could have anything to do with her case, did they offer him any sort of deal to help identify her?

Good luck
sharon

sharon25 said:
If she was in the "punk" scene I would say that she wasn't very old, wouldn't you? I know there are some older people in the scene but to me she looks very young.

i did a search and found this http://www.doj.state.wi.us/missingkids/
in which they say she's 34?....

I believe that the website which you link shows the age of 34 due to a feature of the home (index) page which automatically updates the "age now" field. This is something that is done on some missing person sites. In this case, they have included a Jane Doe, but have not disabled that age update feature. The text of the file itself states in one place that they believe she was between 17 and 30 years of age, and in another place it states between 18 and 30 years. I am inclined to think that she was on the younger end of that rather wide estimate. The shirt looks more like a country-western style dress shirt than like anything that a "punk-rocker" would wear.

My daughter's friend said the police thought she might be a girl that had been reported hanging around the downtown area where the punks hang out ... not necessarily into the punk thing herself, but a runaway girl with no money who hung out on the streets here where a lot of my daughter's punk friends also hung out. I guess that's why they thought he might know her. I'm not talking Hot Topic fashion punks here, I'm talking Salvation Army thrift store whatever raggedy thing they could find or steal to wear kids ... believe it or not, there's a difference. Some of these kids lived in a flophouse hotel downtown at the time.

I don't know if Jason Strong was interviewed about her but the manner of death certainly sounds like the woman he's in jail for murdering. Odd that her body was beaten so badly but there were no marks on her face ... I wonder what that means.

Danielle looks like she has perfect teeth in the first picture.

They do look a lot alike! I also wonder about the teeth. (coincidence the missing was last seen leaving her dentist's office) I wish there was more info on the missing girl. It could be her.

The second sketch of Jane Doe resembles the first photo of Danielle

If the girl could be Danielle, she could have lived in bad conditions that could have eventually decayed her teeth and caused them to fall out

Law Enforcement certainly has a wide age range for the Jane Doe in Wisconsin! "14 to 35, but probably under 30".

There are several odd coincidences between this case and the case of "Cali", a Jane Doe found - also in a Cornfield - in Caledonia, NY on 9 November 1979. (see link below to separate thread in this forum)

Cali also had light brown hair with frosted highlights. She also wore a Western style shirt. She also had bad teeth, and resembles this girl somewhat. Her age was also thought to be young.

Could these two cases be connected in some way?

------------------------------
"Cali" Doe's Vital Statistics
Estimated age: 13 - 19 years old. Her estimated date of birth is 1958-1967.
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'3; 120 lbs.

Distinguishing Characteristics: She had curly brown, shoulder length hair which had been frosted about four months before her death. The frosted hair was in the process of growing out. She had brown eyes. She was tanned and had visible bikini lines. She had no distinguishing marks. The victim had had no broken bones that would have been in a hospital's records. It didn't look as though she had received much medical attention of any kind.

Dentals: She has some serious decay and tooth #14 was decayed to the extent that only three roots of the tooth were left. She did have some dental work to suggest that the dentist was not trained in the US.

Clothing: She was wearing a a boy's multi-plaid, button-down shirt, tan corduroy pants, blue knee socks, light blue panties; white exquisite bra; brown laceup, ripple-sole shoes and a red nylon-lined man's windbreaker with black stripes down the arms, marked with the inside label Auto Sports Products, Inc..

The Doe Network Case File 1UFNY
NCIC Number: U-157617149

See Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - Unidentified White Female Located 9 Nov 1979 Caledonia, NY

LINK:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23127

Unidentified White Female
Located at 6:15 a.m. July 21, 1999 in a cornfield on 92nd Street in the Town of Raymond, Wisconsin.
Cause of death was multiple injuries. Manner of death is homicide.
Estimated Date of Death: Hours prior to discovery

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 14 - 35 years old. (Probably under 30) Estimated year of birth is 1964 -1981

Approximate Height and Weight: 5'8" (173 cm); 120 lbs. (55 kg)
Distinguishing Characteristics: She had sun highlights in her short brown hair. Her eyes were brown, but do not exclude hazel. Each ear was double pierced and there appears to be no scars or tattoos. She had a "Cauliflower" deformation on her right ear that may have come from a recent injury. Possibly cognitively disabled.

Dentals: Available. She had fairly poor dentition, and had protruding front teeth. Several teeth were missing or decayed. Her teeth showed signs of long term neglect.

Clothing: She was wearing a man's gray and silver country and western shirt with snap buttons and a red floral pattern on the front of the shirt along with black sweatpants. The manufacturer of the shirt, Karman, informed police that it was produced and distributed throughout the United States about 15 years ago.

DNA: Available
Case History
The victim was found on the edge of a cornfield in a rural area of Racine, Wisconsin on July 21,1999. It appeared the murder had occurred elsewhere and that the body had been dumped, perhaps because the area is near I-94.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Racine County Sheriff's Office
414-636-3211

NCMEC #: NCMU400013
NCIC Number: U-520000267
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case. Source Information: National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.
Cora Jones.org
Cora Jones News
Find Missing Children
The Doe Network: Case File 199UFWI

LINK:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/199ufwi.html

Richard said:
Law Enforcement certainly has a wide age range for the Jane Doe in Wisconsin! "14 to 35, but probably under 30".

There are several odd coincidences between this case and the case of "Cali", a Jane Doe found - also in a Cornfield - in Caledonia, NY on 9 November 1979. (see link below to separate thread in this forum)

Cali also had light brown hair with frosted highlights. She also wore a Western style shirt. She also had bad teeth, and resembles this girl somewhat. Her age was also thought to be young.

Could these two cases be connected in some way?
When I first looked at this, I thought the resemblence and stats were great. But, have to admit, dentals would probably rule this out. 13 months between a dentist's office and when Racine Jane Doe was found just doesn't seem to me to equate to "long term neglect".

But it got me thinking. Cali and Racine Jane Doe both had poor dentition, especially for such young girls. So did Carbon County "Beth Doe" in 1976. Maybe someone should start a thread of these young girls with bad teeth. Maybe we'd see a trend?

CCJD said:
...But it got me thinking. Cali and Racine Jane Doe both had poor dentition, especially for such young girls. So did Carbon County "Beth Doe" in 1976. Maybe some should start a thread of these young girls with bad teeth. Maybe we'd see a trend?
I think that the trend would be toward the fact that these young girls were sadly neglected by family and may have been seeking independance or perhaps the promise of good things from someone wishing to take advantage of them.

But could there be a combination of things that point to a common thread? Serial killers often seek a certain "type" of person as a potential victim. Perhaps common traits shared by seemingly separate victims could link them as having been killed by the same person. How bodies are found could constitute a sort of signature or mark of a killer.

For example, a killer might fancy girls with short light brown hair and a certain build or age. Maybe he chooses them for they type or color of their clothes - or maybe he finds a girl and then has her dress according to his "tastes" or choice.

Patterns might lead to solid clues. Similarities in the manner of death, body disposal, etc are well known these days, but other clues like dentition, hair style, clothing and such could also point out posibilities. If a killer is careful and organized enough to kill and dispose of a body, then he also would have a pattern for initial selection of his victims. Linking his victims could lead to his identification.

Another one is this case - The Summerfield Jane Doe, (Summerfield, IL - South East of St. Louis)

http://www.sheriff.co.st-clair.il.us/inv090686.asp

Unidentified Caucasian Female
Summerfield Jane Doe

• [*]Discovered on September 6, 1986 outside Summerfield, Saint Clair County, Illinois.
    [*]The victim had been strangled with a piece of her clothing.
    [*]The victim was located within 24 hours of death.

Vital Statistics

• [*]Estimated age: 16-21 years old. Estimated date of birth is 1960-1967.
    [*]Approximate Height and Weight: 5'2"; 110 lbs.
    [*]Distinguishing Characteristics: Curly brown hair; brown eyes. She had a mole on her upper left arm, a small scar on her left shoulder and a scar on the back of her right wrist.
    [*]Dentals: She had a small fixed bridge on her upper front teeth with a root canal in the same area.
    [*]Clothing: She was wearing a salmon-colored bodysuit. She had a gold bracelet on her right wrist. A silver band ring with a clear stone in the middle and an a plain silver band were both worn on her right hand. On her left hand ring finger she wore an opal ring that had 4 opals with a clear stone center. Assorted clothing and jewelry she had been carrying in a travel bag was found at the scene.

Case History
The victim was found by a farmer harvesting corn just outside Summerfield. She had been strangled with a piece of her clothing, and her nude body was left in the cornfield.
Her pelvic area had been savagely slashed and mutilated by a killer who left behind relatively small, Western-style boot prints.
A lead is that the victim may have been a follower of the rock band The Grateful Dead, and was in the metro-east because she was hitchhiking to the band's next concert.

Investigators
If you have any information on the identity of this woman or the circumstances involved in her murder, please contact:
St. Clair County Sheriff's Office
618-277-3505 x5204

I talked to the investigator on this case a couple years ago and he made one comment - and I find it odd that this isn't on the listing at the Sherriff's website, but, he said that she was probably closer to 4'11" - 5', was very petite but had a mature figure in preportion to her height and weight.

At one time a couple years back they made the actual PM photos' available, but I couldn't find them in a quick search. They also had her dentals published in a dentists magazine hoping someone would recognize the work. It was distinctive.

This case gets passed around a lot to a detective with other active cases so I don't think it gets worked much.

Does anybody know about "meth teeth" and how quickly it happens? I know dentists say it is awful on teeth when someone has used meth. Maybe that could account for teeth going from good to horrible in a year's time. (don't mean to imply this Jane Doe was using meth. I am just brainstorming. Their facial features look so much alike!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail