UNSOLVED IL - Lynwood, Male Remains found on farm, May'08

Leila

Reaction score
Human remains found on Lynwood farm

Police seeking clues to its identity

Tribune staff report4:29 PM CDT, May 28, 2008

Lynwood police are trying to determine the identity of a person whose skeletal remains were found Tuesday morning in a farmer's field.

"We're looking at missing person reports to see if there's any connection, but right now we're waiting to see if the medical examiner's office can clarify if it was male or female," said Police Chief Russell Pearson.

A farmer called police after he noticed the human remains.

"He was out fertilizing his field and got out to walk the property, which has a wooded section right off of 202nd Street and Burnham Avenue," Pearson said. "He said he noticed it right away."

More at link...............
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-lynwood-body_both_29may29,0,1910108.story

I just checked Illinois maps on Google and Lynwood is about 30 - 35 miles away from Bolingbrook, due south of Chicago, and near the Indiana state line.

I am very familiar with this area, my mother lives in Lynwood and the rest of my family is close by. And I live about 3 miles from the Peterson residence. Let me know if I can help with any more information.

I am very familiar with this area, my mother lives in Lynwood and the rest of my family is close by. And I live about 3 miles from the Peterson residence. Let me know if I can help with any more information.

Lisa.................Thanks! A couple of questions come to mind.....how easy would it be to get from Bolingbrook to Lynwood? And, how long do you think it would take to drive from Bolingbrook to Lynwood?

Hmmm, depending on where on the property exactly the remains were found, it is notable that the property itself is right next to the Lynwood Municipal Airport.

I certainly hope it is Stacy so her family can have some closure.
This has dragged out for way to long......

Gosh, one would think he would have done a better job of hiding her body than just tossing her in a farmer's field. Then again, we are talking about DrewP.... What was this field being used for when she went missing? Is this the first time the farmer has been to that section since then?

From reading the article, it would appear that the farmer hasn't been to this area of his farm since last summer/early fall. It was stated he was fertilizing a field when he decided to walk his property. It sounds like the body was among trees on the perimeter of the property, rather than in a field that would regularly be worked with plowing, cultivating, harvesting, etc.

Does anyone remember how long after Stacy went missing the first snow in that area happened? Snow would have concealed the body all winter.

Anybody any good with those arial maps? I wonder how big that wooded area is? One of the advantages of laying a body out in a wooded area is to hope that animals will remove the evidence. The bigger the woods, the better the chance that the scavenging animals will be there.

It is interesting that the area is that close to the airport. Like some place that someone who liked to hang out near airplanes might have noticed. How big is the airport? Do they have big planes or small ones? Any air shows there?

I checked out Google maps using the search terms "202 Street and Burnham Ave. - Lynwood, Illinois" and it took me right to the spot. 202 Street and Burnham Ave. intersect forming four corners.

By switching to the satellite map and zooming in, it appears that there's a farm field on the northeast corner of this intersection and there's trees and brush along 202 St. and back for about 40 feet. There's some homes on the southeast side of 202 St. and on the northwest side of 202 St. On the southwest corner is a sizable section of trees, then perhaps a hundred feet or more down the road a house and behind the house farmland. I could even see bales of hay in the farmland field.

Edited to add that 202 St. east of Burnham Ave. seems to quickly narrow into nothing more than a country lane, not wide enough for two cars, and there's a lot of brush on the north side of the road along with trees.

Here are some Google Earth pics of that site. The farms seem to be across the street from the airport actually, if I am viewing this correctly. The airport is the gray area in the upper right corner.

When you view these, click them for a larger view.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh164/river-stones/LynwoodILmap2.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh164/river-stones/LynwoodILmap.jpg

Here's a closer view of 202 St. where it ends to the right of the picture.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh164/river-stones/LynwoodIL202St.jpg

Thanks Leila. Certainly sounds large enough that you might expect a coyote to be there, and houses near enough for dogs to be there. So someone dumping a body there might be hoping that scavengers would take care of disposing of the remains.

Here are some Google Earth pics of that site. The farms seem to be across the street from the airport actually, if I am viewing this correctly. The airport is the gray area in the upper right corner.

When you view these, click them for a larger view.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh164/river-stones/LynwoodILmap2.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh164/river-stones/LynwoodILmap.jpg

Here's a closer view of 202 St. where it ends to the right of the picture.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh164/river-stones/LynwoodIL202St.jpg

Thanks ThoughtFox!

One the first picture and the third, to the far right, it appears to be a runway for the airport. When I zoomed in on this area, there was writing on the runway, which went north and then curved to the left and ended in a set of three big hangers. Across the street from the hangers was the airport with planes on the ground. So the airport is north of the field in the first and third pictures, but a runway runs to the right of the field.

Lisa.................Thanks! A couple of questions come to mind.....how easy would it be to get from Bolingbrook to Lynwood? And, how long do you think it would take to drive from Bolingbrook to Lynwood?

Well, it's not a very direct route. From Bolingbrook, you could take I-55 from Weber Road to either 294 if you go northeast or to I-80 if you head south. From 294, you'd head south until you get to I-394, then exit at Glenwood-Dyer Road. From there, head east. From I-80, head east until you get to I-394. Alternatively, I-55 to I-355 south to I-80 to I-394.

I know, sounds complicated, and it is a bit if you don't know the area. Also, time-wise, takes anywhere from 45 to 1 hour 15 mins. or so, depending on time of day and traffic.

Hmmm, depending on where on the property exactly the remains were found, it is notable that the property itself is right next to the Lynwood Municipal Airport.

Absolutely! The airport is right there, and surely DP would know about it.

Anybody any good with those arial maps? I wonder how big that wooded area is? One of the advantages of laying a body out in a wooded area is to hope that animals will remove the evidence. The bigger the woods, the better the chance that the scavenging animals will be there.

It is interesting that the area is that close to the airport. Like some place that someone who liked to hang out near airplanes might have noticed. How big is the airport? Do they have big planes or small ones? Any air shows there?

Small planes. Not a large airport. I don't know about air shows, but I doubt it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire
Back