1215 users online (211 members and 1004 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Dunkin' Donuts yanks Rachel Ray Ad

Does Dunkin’ Donuts really think its customers could mistake Rachael Ray for a terrorist sympathizer? The Canton-based company has abruptly canceled an ad in which the domestic diva wears a scarf that looks like a keffiyeh, a traditional headdress worn by Arab men.
    picture:

more: http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/a...tPop_Emailed1/

You guys know I hate Rachel Ray, but this is the most absurd thing I've ever heard.

I was just poppin' over here to post this story.

This is sooooooooooooo stupid it hurts.

Just for once I'd like to see a celebrity get up and say "IT'S A F*****G SCARF. GET OVER IT!!!"

Oh please! How ridiculous!

It's just a symbol, right?

Here's a quick google for more "symbols"

Symbols have no meaning other than what we give them. Some have more "meaning" than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Karole28 View Post

It's just a symbol, right?

Here's a quick google for more "symbols"

Symbols have no meaning other than what we give them. Some have more "meaning" than others.
    This is a bit different.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    This is a bit different.
    To some maybe. Not to the victims of Fatah, Hamas and the Palestinians in general.

Now, on to "Che" fashionistas!

Ironically, the swastika has been created and used by various cultures around the world for thousands of years, including Native American tribes. Extremely ironically, it was considered a good luck symbol, like a four-leaf clover.

Now of course...

In this case however, symbolism does not apply. The scarf in question is not intended to resemble a head-rag*. It is a fringed scarf with a paisly pattern. That's it. Nothing more. Additionally, it is being worn as a scarf and not wrapped around her head.

A good analogy would be busting a college fraternity for having a toga party and charging them with racial crimes because they look like the KKK.
    Does a toga look like a KKK uniform? No, but it is white, made of a sheet and covers the body.

That's the level of stupidity we're getting here.

*Not to offend anyone, but I have little respect for the arab culture and arab men in particular. When they start showing some respect for their women, then maybe I'll think about it.

To some maybe. Not to the victims of Fatah, Hamas and the Palestinians in general.

Now, on to "Che" fashionistas!
    Come to think of it...I was wronged by a woman a few years ago. She was wearing a shirt and a bra.

We better ban shirts and bras on women (the hot ones at least)!

Quote Originally Posted by XcomSquaddie View Post
    Ironically, the swastika has been created and used by various cultures around the world for thousands of years, including Native American tribes. Extremely ironically, it was considered a good luck symbol, like a four-leaf clover.

Now of course...
    The iron cross anyone? Yes, I know. However, much like the Confederate flag, symbols take on new meanings over time.

In this case however, symbolism does not apply. The scarf in question is not intended to resemble a head-rag*. It is a fringed scarf with a paisly pattern. That's it. Nothing more. Additionally, it is being worn as a scarf and not wrapped around her head.
    It's ignorance. Like the swastika that is nothing more than a design on a hand bag, it has no place in polite society, no matter the intention.

In addition:
    The keffiyeh grew into a symbol of Palestinian nationalism in the 1960s and eventually became a trademark of late Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat. He wore his black and white scarf in a distinctive arrangement, draping it over his right shoulder in a triangular shape that mimicked the outlines of Palestine.

Unless you want to be dragged into a discourse on International relations and the current state of affairs, I'd advise anyone on wearing a traditional "look what my ma knitted me" type of neck warmer on the street.

A good analogy would be busting a college fraternity for having a toga party and charging them with racial crimes because they look like the KKK.
    Does a toga look like a KKK uniform? No, but it is white, made of a sheet and covers the body.

That's the level of stupidity we're getting here.
    Your analogy is poor. But, I do find some truth in your last statement.

The iron cross anyone? Yes, I know. However, much like the Confederate flag, symbols take on new meanings over time.

I

It's ignorance. Like the swastika that is nothing more than a design on a hand bag, it has no place in polite society, no matter the intention.

In addition:
    The keffiyeh grew into a symbol of Palestinian nationalism in the 1960s and eventually became a trademark of late Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat. He wore his black and white scarf in a distinctive arrangement, draping it over his right shoulder in a triangular shape that mimicked the outlines of Palestine.

Unless you want to be dragged into a discourse on International relations and the current state of affairs, I'd advise anyone on wearing a traditional "look what my ma knitted me" type of neck warmer on the street.

Wow, you're not rude at all. Really...you're not.

Quote Originally Posted by XcomSquaddie View Post
    I completely agree. The whole thing is ridiculous. It's a women's scarf for heaven's sake!! It's a fashion accessory, not a jihadist statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    Come to think of it...I was wronged by a woman a few years ago. She was wearing a shirt and a bra.

We better ban shirts and bras on women (the hot ones at least)!
    You should form a committee and start a study STAT!

(you could probably get federal money)

Quote Originally Posted by Jen_in_Indy View Post
    I completely agree. The whole thing is ridiculous. It's a women's scarf for heaven's sake!! It's a fashion accessory, not a jihadist statement.
    It's like the Che shirts, seriously, or that idiot Cameron Diaz taking a purse with the Mao symbol to Peru. People who don't know what they're supporting, and don't know history, should stick to Garanimals.

The Confederate flag started out as a symbol of slavery and the south. By default it had racial overtones. It's evoloution into a symbol of racism and oppression is not nearly as dramatic as that of the swastika. The swastika started out as a symbol of good luck and hope and evolved into a symbol of hatred and evil.

It's oversensitivity. The swastika purse, I'll give you. That is definitely wrong. But everytime someone sees a vague image they start yelling.

http://www.snopes.com/business/hidden/vans.asp

There was a similarly stupid flap a while back about the patterns on a shoe popular among skateboarders. It's not rational to see anti-semitism, racism, or whatever other sin you want, lurking around every corner.

In addition:
    I know what it is. I just refuse to respect that culture. It is extremely misogynistic, anti-Semitic, socially repressive and tyrannical in regards to human rights.

I'd advise anyone pestering me on the street to brace up for a lecture themselves. One on jumping to conclusions and minding their own business.

I disagree:

How does this resemble the scarf at the top of the thread? There is more similarity between a toga and klan gear.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast