Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast
    I remember reading somewhere that Otter Creek was not entirely frozen over in early February. There was a narrow channel in the middle of the river, or at least an area where the ice wasn't think.

One theory is that he was looking for the suspension bridge, but took the wrong path and ended up at the edge of the 6-foot dropoff (remember--there was no moon that night). He may have slipped and gone through the ice, or hit his head (not fracturing the skull, but knocking him out) and ended up face down in the river. If the ice wasn't very thick at the edge, he may have gone through and ended up under the ice.

Quote Originally Posted by arcadia03 View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that Otter Creek was not entirely frozen over in early February. There was a narrow channel in the middle of the river, or at least an area where the ice wasn't think.

One theory is that he was looking for the suspension bridge, but took the wrong path and ended up at the edge of the 6-foot dropoff (remember--there was no moon that night). He may have slipped and gone through the ice, or hit his head (not fracturing the skull, but knocking him out) and ended up face down in the river. If the ice wasn't very thick at the edge, he may have gone through and ended up under the ice.
    So he fell into the middle of the river?

It very well could be an accident...does one just happen upon the creek...is there nothing that stands (trees) on the outside/banks before the sharp decline?

I think another possibility is that he fell ONTO the ice and didn't break through right away, or broke through face down. There are a lot of options.

As someone who has a few too many from time to time, I can attest that things can catch up with you suddenly. In fact, Nick may have been headed for McDonald's because he was aware that he had a tummy full of rum and not enough food. Especially being a young man with an athletic metabolism, the effects of the alcohol could have slammed him unexpectedly. A few cheeseburgers might have saved him if he had headed out earlier.

As for all of the "contradictions": I think they are the result of sloppy reporting rather than sloppy police work. If we had the original documents instead of what the reporters are regurgitating to us, things would be much more clear, IMHO, and the conclusions reached by the police would be easier to understand.

I would like to clarify my post (quoted below) from last night. Sometimes, it is very difficult with all of the conflicting information reported by the media to actually know what the truth really is. It always takes time and patience but usually the truth comes out in the end. I commend everyone on websleuths for caring enough to find out what the truth is.
    vtgirl

"It is way too early to assume that Nick's tragic loss was "mundane". There are far too many unanswered questions and conflicting info. The truth can only be found in seeking and following the true facts of any case. I , for one, feel it is always worth the extra effort to find out the truth. An incredible young man has lost his life and his family and friends are suffering unbearably. Finding the truth may help to give them some closure and comfort. I feel that Nick is somehow urging us all onward in our efforts."[/quote]

It always takes time and patience but usually the truth comes out in the end. I commend everyone on websleuths for caring enough to find out what the truth is.

Thanks, vtgirl. Very well said!

Just catching up, so sad for Natalie, but glad that they found Nick's body and she will be able to take her son home. I'm sure she'll never have answers, but I hope that she can find peace. Prayers for her, the family and all of their friends. May Nick Rest in Peace.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *My posts are my opinions, expressed freely thanks to the First Amendment.*

While I am very saddened for Natalie and Nick's family, I am glad they did find her son and are able to bring him home and not have to spend years of "not knowing." I think that would be much worse..

I do wonder, given that Nick is from NM where the climate is as different as night and day, I am curious if maybe he walked on the ice/ or knew the risk if it was something he was not used to as others that grew up doing all of their lives. Tend to think more answers lie with the individuals he was with prior, not that they necessarily did anything but would have much more info as to the events. Though, it is possible depending on their state at that time, they may not recall the night... Prays for Natalie that she has an answer one day..

Got some info from someone who shares rumors with me that are supposedly going around locally.

Some kids say "they heard" he was rejected by a girl and committed suicide (rumours point to a girl who works
    at a campus dining hall).

Others say (this is more disturbing) that "they heard" Nick was a closeted homosexual, that something "very embarrasing" happened that night, and that there is a conspiracy among the people involved to keep the secret.

And many find suspicious the fact that the body was discovered right after graduation, when all the students (and their families) had left town. Rumour is that the body was discovered the week before, but they delayed the announcement until everybody had left the campus (students are not particularly happy with the current administration, so they will use any occasion to dish them).

But most of them are OK with the assumption that he missed the turn in the pathway and fell into the creek, and they all assume he was drunk.

Questions that are being asked:

The cell phone was logged on to the tower until next morning -- what if he was looking for an early breakfast instead of a BigMac at midnight? If so, where did he spend the night?

If he was so eager to take part in a social meeting that evening, why did he leave the gathering at Stewart after only 15 minutes? How do we know really left the party at that time?

If he wanted to be by himself to think, he could have gone to his own room --- Natalie told the press that his roommate was away for the break. Why did he go to the vacant house?

Did he know how to swim? He fell close to the edge of the river, couldn't he climb out of the water by himself? There are lots of bushes and tree roots/limbs next to the creek.

He was a bright kid, but a sensitive one, and you never know how a 19 yo can react under grief -- moreso in a depressing Vermont winter (he came from sunny NM) and under the influence of alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by christine2448 View Post
    ...Did he know how to swim? He fell close to the edge of the river, couldn't he climb out of the water by himself? There are lots of bushes and tree roots/limbs next to the creek..
    snipped for space

IMHO, whether you are drinking or not, falling into fast-moving, cold water in the dark can be very disorienting. The cold immediately starts seeping into your body and affects your mind. You may get turned around and not know where the bank is, you may get tangled up (either in the overhanging trees or your own clothes), or you may panic and lose your bearings all together. The cold water saps your strength as well and if you are lucky enough to find your way to shore, or someone throws you a rescue line, you may not have enough strength left to pull yourself out or even tie a rope around you. Even the stongest swimmer is no match for these conditions.

My experience was in the open water, not a creek, but I spent 10 miserable minutes in cold, fast-moving water and by the time my hubby got to me, I didn't have enough strength left to get back in the boat and he could not lift me in without tipping the dinghy over again. He had to tow me to shore behind the dinghy and warm me up before I recovered enough energy to even stand up.

My sincere condolences to the Garza family. I wish this would have turned out differently.

more information.....this is given to me confidentially...I did ask if the child has been interviewed by LE and I am waiting my reply:

am the parent of a current midd student.

i had been reluctant to pass along what my child had heard from the on-set of nick's disappearance but you mentioned several ideas so i thought it was appropriate to chime in. from day one, the rumor had been that nick had consumed 17 (seventeen) shots and had also been smoking marijuana. i questioned my child several times
    over the course of a month about the veracity of these allegations but there was no wavering. it seemed to have been "common knowledge" that, though nick was not a "pot head" per se, he was known to smoke marijuana. all of this speculation merely underpins the notion that he just tragically became disoriented.

thanks for listening. i have appreciated your moderating influence on the
    site!

midd mom

Let's not forget the creek was frozen at the time...could he have cracked through the ice...of course.

But, if he had tumbled down this 6 foot drop...no injury? Scrapes, cuts, bruises?

He had spoken to his mom earlier that evening...can't remember offhand if it was by text or phone...I think she could attest to his state of mind.

And many find suspicious the fact that the body was discovered right after graduation, when all the students (and their families) had left town. Rumour is that the body was discovered the week before, but they delayed the announcement until everybody had left the campus (students are not particularly happy with the current administration, so they will use any occasion to dish them).

I hate to say it, but I also found it to be very coincidental that he was located before this big search that was planned for the weekend. So maybe they're not so far off from the truth.

Thanks for all the info, Christine. It does make one think...but I have to tell you...I'm not so sure how much stock I can put into what a kid says. I recently had a conversation with my daughter about what was happening out in Wisconsin where she went to school. We were discussing one of the murders and she said the rumor around school was that the victim was kinda loose. My mouth dropped!! How does that explain someone killing you? Kids, in general, need to have an explanation that they can understand....the world has to be safe. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by christine2448 View Post
    more information.....this is given to me confidentially...I did ask if the child has been interviewed by LE and I am waiting my reply:

am the parent of a current midd student.

i had been reluctant to pass along what my child had heard from the on-set of nick's disappearance but you mentioned several ideas so i thought it was appropriate to chime in. from day one, the rumor had been that nick had consumed 17 (seventeen) shots and had also been smoking marijuana. i questioned my child several times
    over the course of a month about the veracity of these allegations but there was no wavering. it seemed to have been "common knowledge" that, though nick was not a "pot head" per se, he was known to smoke marijuana. all of this speculation merely underpins the notion that he just tragically became disoriented.

thanks for listening. i have appreciated your moderating influence on the
    site!

midd mom
    The pot would also explain a sudden need for food and an irrational trip towards burgers and fries. Break time when most students were away would be a perfect time for some tokes. That was always my favorite time! Didn't have as many people to have to share with!

I had also wondered from the get-go as to whether he was gay and the "romantic advance" had been a disastrous outing.

IMHO, this rumor is preposterous and offensive to those who put so much time and energy into looking for Nick.

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast