Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920 LastLast
Results 426 to 450 of 493
  1. #426
    Niner's Avatar
    Niner is offline Foresthill Bridge, Auburn - Gateway to the Sierras
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Auburn, California
    Posts
    4,631

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by hominid View Post
    Mr...45,

    I would like you to stay. When you get the hang of it you can just ignore whatever you want to on a forum. Participate the way you want to. Skip the garbage. I will be bypassing "we know alls." You post something... I'll read it and respond if I have anything to say about it. You've been doing something potentially useful here.
    Yes, please stay - there is a way to "ignore" these "we know alls"!!

    Go to "User CP" - top of the page on the left after "Home", then scroll down on the left side to "Settings & Options" you'll see "Edit Ignore List" -click and put whomever you like on there!

    edited to add: I would really like to see the results of your "flight"!!!
    ~~Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain!~~
    ~~We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings having a human experience!~~
    ~~Veni, Vidi, Velcro! I came, I saw, I stuck around!~~

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Niner For This Useful Post:


  3. #427
    Niner's Avatar
    Niner is offline Foresthill Bridge, Auburn - Gateway to the Sierras
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Auburn, California
    Posts
    4,631

    Thumbs up

    Oh I should have read further - ****** stepped in...
    ~~Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain!~~
    ~~We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings having a human experience!~~
    ~~Veni, Vidi, Velcro! I came, I saw, I stuck around!~~

  4. #428
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    152

    Take off time

    Sluggo says this on his site for take off time?

    19:33 PST
    Flt 305 takes off
    None
    Estimated based on next transmission.
    19:37 PST
    SEA CNTR request Flt 305 ident. [this is a process of making sure ATC is tracking the right “Blip” on their radar]. And verify assigned altitude of 10,000 ft.
    SEA CNTR
    Comm. with SEA CNTR
    19:40 PST
    Flt 305 reports through 6500 ft. and trying to get the steps down back there
    Pilot
    Comm. with SEA CNTR
    19:40 PST
    Flt 305 reports leveling off at 7,000 ft. Cooper wants the stairs down and they are slowing to about 160 KIAS.
    Pilot
    Comm. with SEA CNTR
    19:42 PST
    Flt 305 reports “14 NM out of SEA on Victor-23. Cooper is trying to get the door down, Stew is with us, he cannot get the stairs down. We now have an aft stair light on.
    Pilot
    Comm. with Flt-Ops MSP
    19:44 PST
    Flt 305 advises they will hold at 7,000 ft. We have the back steps down now and it looks like we aren’t going to be able to climb anymore.
    Pilot
    Comm. with SEA CNTR
    19:45 PST
    Flt 305 reports 19 NM DME out of SEA at 7,000 ft. No comm.. with Cooper but have an aft stair light.
    Pilot
    Comm. with Flt-Ops MSP
    19:45 PST
    Fly Ops MSP advises that after a while someone will have to go back and take a look to see if he is out of the aircraft. Also, if they have to go any distance in that configuration their indicated optimum speed is 170 knots. Portland, Medford, and Red Bluff are available alternate airports.
    Flt-Ops MSP
    Comm. with Flt-Ops MSP
    19:46 PST
    Flt-Ops SEA has the enroute weather, its Fog and Haze
    Flt-Ops SEA
    Comm. between Flt-Ops MSP and Flt-Ops SEA
    19:48 PST
    Flt 305 reports 160 KIAS, which is about 5 knots above stall speed. Holding at 7,000 ft. Fuel flow is 4500 gal/hr.
    Pilot
    Comm. with Flt-Ops MSP
    19:48 PST
    Flt Ops MSP advises they will not make it to Reno in that configuration. Unless he is gone. Also, the higher the cabin is [meaning the lower the pressure due to altitude] the better if you guys have mask on [supplied oxygen]
    F

  5. #429
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by georger View Post
    Did you uncover who made the FBI map and how and when (the process)?
    TK: No, there was no info at all about the maps.

    Quote Originally Posted by georger View Post
    By 'radar shadow' I assume you are talking about the length from SEA to PDX. Who was watching the radar? And what of Jerry Thomas's highly tauted 'McChord radar tapes' being stored at a secret military facility out east?
    TK: By "Radar Shadow" I mean a mountain or some such thing that an airplane would fly behind and the radar would not be able to see it. As it turns out, the SAGE system had auxiliary radars to fill in the shadowed areas. It was NOT just one radar at McChord and another at PDX that had the ability to see the aircraft. There was no info at all about any radar data being stored anywhere.

  6. #430
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,679
    I find the entire process you are all doing facsinating.

    I though know little about planes but to fly in them. I do enjoy following it all

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Allusonz For This Useful Post:


  8.  
     
  9. #431
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    152

    Terrain update

    I got the update on the sim, here is a short quick clip with some features, watch in HD for best results

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uLRfw5tG_E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uLRfw5tG_E[/ame]

  10. #432
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    sedona az
    Posts
    1,442
    Quote Originally Posted by TomKaye View Post
    TK: No, there was no info at all about the maps.



    TK: By "Radar Shadow" I mean a mountain or some such thing that an airplane would fly behind and the radar would not be able to see it. As it turns out, the SAGE system had auxiliary radars to fill in the shadowed areas. It was NOT just one radar at McChord and another at PDX that had the ability to see the aircraft. There was no info at all about any radar data being stored anywhere.
    yes - all previously established. thanks.

  11. #433
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    118

    night light patterns of cities

    Mr...45,

    A few days ago I asked about light patterns and you posted a pic of overflying Seattle in 1935 (I think). It really didn't answer the question for me. What I'm wondering about is if Vancouver and Portland look like they would have then (if you have that date set in, and assuming the weather is clear). The FBI flightpath map shows what the light patterns looked like then. You'd have to turn it upside down and look from a low angle to get an idea what it would have looked like when approaching from the north. Could you post a pic for a clear night from about Merwin?

  12. #434
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    152

    1935

    Quote Originally Posted by hominid View Post
    Mr...45,

    A few days ago I asked about light patterns and you posted a pic of overflying Seattle in 1935 (I think). It really didn't answer the question for me. What I'm wondering about is if Vancouver and Portland look like they would have then (if you have that date set in, and assuming the weather is clear). The FBI flightpath map shows what the light patterns looked like then. You'd have to turn it upside down and look from a low angle to get an idea what it would have looked like when approaching from the north. Could you post a pic for a clear night from about Merwin?
    sadly the answer is no, I think it would be to much on them to change each year mapping wise, however there was a big change when I upgraded to the Ultimate Terrain, this can be shut off and use the default system but still probably goes by 2003 mapping.

    that is another question I will ask them because since you can change the weather, why would you put a function in that only changes the date and not it's surrounding but as mentioned I think it would cause the cost to sky rocket.

    I'm sure the sky was not even close to being lit up as today, I remember as a kid a lot of places closed by 8:00 and lights were out, no fear like today. I have a satellite photo from that time period and then today and could post If you want me too?

  13. #435
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    152

    Complete route check

    I am going to study the transcripts as much as I can and find out ever possible move we can put into play and present a flight plan for you guys to tear apart once I put it on here

    once we all agree on how to run this in real time, then we can proceed with actual flights.

    I would love to be able to put two monitors on the system and have someone with me taking notes as we fly, fuel consumption, and mapping, it's seems to be a little to much for me to fly and control a uncontrolled plane watching the altitude and speed is a task in itself, let alone click off the screen and check the fuel.

    I have learned a lot with this in understanding the plane, the reason for the amount of Pilot's etc etc.

    I take the pic right now, be back in a while

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to MrShutter45 For This Useful Post:


  15. #436
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    sedona az
    Posts
    1,442
    I'm sure the sky was not even close to being lit up as today, I remember as a kid a lot of places closed by 8:00 and lights were out, no fear like today. I have a satellite photo from that time period and then today and could post If you want me too?[/quote]

    Yes please post any satellite photos from the period.

  16. #437
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    118

    Portland and Vancouver city lights in '71

    By rotating and cropping the FBI flightpath map, squeezing it down vertically, and adding perspective, this is sort of like the cities would have looked when approaching from the north on a clear night. Oh, yeah. The gold color represents the city lights.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hominid; 07-06-2012 at 12:25 AM.

  17. #438
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by MrShutter45 View Post
    ...once we all agree on how to run this in real time, then we can proceed with actual flights.

    I would love to be able to put two monitors on the system and have someone with me taking notes as we fly, fuel consumption, and mapping, it's seems to be a little to much for me to fly and control a uncontrolled plane watching the altitude and speed is a task in itself, let alone click off the screen and check the fuel.
    Please don't say you won't fly unless everyone agrees.

    Does your plane have a PAUSE button?

  18. #439
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    152

    Satellite Pics

    Quote Originally Posted by georger View Post
    I'm sure the sky was not even close to being lit up as today, I remember as a kid a lot of places closed by 8:00 and lights were out, no fear like today. I have a satellite photo from that time period and then today and could post If you want me too?
    Yes please post any satellite photos from the period.[/QUOTE]

    Here is the site where I got the photo's

    http://pum.princeton.edu/muhconferen...ns/Elvidge.pdf

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to MrShutter45 For This Useful Post:


  20. #440
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    152

    Flight path

    Quote Originally Posted by hominid View Post
    Please don't say you won't fly unless everyone agrees.

    Does your plane have a PAUSE button?
    yes it has a pause, I just hope that will work with the time breaks, haven't checked yet.

    also has a flight time clock, so I guess it would be ok to do that.

    as for the flying, I was referring to us all coming to the same conclusions as to the correct path, time, weather and altitude adjustments etc etc so this can be the best possible scenario we can do

  21.  
     
  22. #441
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by MrShutter45 View Post
    ...as for the flying, I was referring to us all coming to the same conclusions as to the correct path, time, weather and altitude adjustments etc etc so this can be the best possible scenario we can do
    Someone else might like to see a different scenario, but I would like to see an attempt to fly the path shown in the FBI flightpath map and matching everything possible to records of what the conditions were at the time (comm transcript, NWA incident report, av weather reports, NWS weather info from Weather Underground). Maybe it will be enough of a kick for you that you could try some other scenario too if someone wants?

  23. #442
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    152

    Different Path

    Quote Originally Posted by hominid View Post
    Someone else might like to see a different scenario, but I would like to see an attempt to fly the path shown in the FBI flightpath map and matching everything possible to records of what the conditions were at the time (comm transcript, NWA incident report, av weather reports, NWS weather info from Weather Underground). Maybe it will be enough of a kick for you that you could try some other scenario too if someone wants?
    Correct, I would like to recreate the version on the map and from there I could try different approaches and see if any new things arise, but the first step would be to recreate to the best of our ability matching the map.

  24. #443
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    152

    Fuel Consumption

    out of nowhere I decided to take a flight and check the fuel, now, I didn't set up the sim correctly with the weather but here is what I did.

    I flew on V23 at the correct altitudes and speed and got these numbers, I flew for 15 minutes with two sets of numbers. (fuel reads 10,003 29,500 10,003 for a total of 49,506 lbs

    at 12 minutes into the flight I had a fuel reading of 8853 28,350 8853 with 3450 lbs burned.
    at the 15 minute mark it read 8377 27,808 8377 with 4944 lbs burned.

    this would simulate a 7:33 take off and a 7:36 take off.

    Radio Transcript / NWA Transcript
    7:42 ......305 out SEA 14 miles 7:40....14 DME S SEA VOR at 7000'
    gear down flaps extended 30 degress

    tried to separate numbers, didn't work on the last part

  25. #444
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    118

    Fuel Burn and timing

    Quote Originally Posted by MrShutter45 View Post
    ...I flew on V23 at the correct altitudes and speed and got these numbers, I flew for 15 minutes with two sets of numbers. (fuel reads 10,003 29,500 10,003 for a total of 49,506 lbs

    at 12 minutes into the flight I had a fuel reading of 8853 28,350 8853 with 3450 lbs burned.
    at the 15 minute mark it read 8377 27,808 8377 with 4944 lbs burned.

    this would simulate a 7:33 take off and a 7:36 take off.

    Radio Transcript / NWA Transcript
    7:42 ......305 out SEA 14 miles 7:40....14 DME S SEA VOR at 7000' gear down flaps extended 30°
    The 12 minute burn is barely in the ballpark of what the flight reported. 5750lbs/hr/engine where they reported 4500. But the last three minutes seemed to have burned an inordinate amount. Just that last 3 minutes would be 9960 lb/hr/engine. More than 2x what they reported. Seems odd the last 3 minutes would burn so much more. When you flew this, did you have much load other than fuel?

    Your giving the logged comm. re distance and the NWA report info re. distance highlights something significant about the NWA report. It appears at least for the short series of events that were logged at 7:42 on the comm transcript that NWA separated them to a close sequence of times separated by 1 minute each, and in the same sequence. The times on the comm transcript were the times entered automatically when the send key was pressed, not the times when the individual lines were keyed in. It is odd that the report statement for 7:43 was part of the logged comm for 7:42.

  26. #445
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    152

    Fuel

    Quote Originally Posted by hominid View Post
    The 12 minute burn is barely in the ballpark of what the flight reported. 5750lbs/hr/engine where they reported 4500. But the last three minutes seemed to have burned an inordinate amount. Just that last 3 minutes would be 9960 lb/hr/engine. More than 2x what they reported. Seems odd the last 3 minutes would burn so much more. When you flew this, did you have much load other than fuel?

    Your giving the logged comm. re distance and the NWA report info re. distance highlights something significant about the NWA report. It appears at least for the short series of events that were logged at 7:42 on the comm transcript that NWA separated them to a close sequence of times separated by 1 minute each, and in the same sequence. The times on the comm transcript were the times entered automatically when the send key was pressed, not the times when the individual lines were keyed in. It is odd that the report statement for 7:43 was part of the logged comm for 7:42.
    I have 3 pilots on board and two passengers (HJ Tina) no luggage and a full tank, past the 12 minute mark I went to 30 degrees and climbed to 10,000, forgot to mention that.

    I just got done running several gear test's and the plane pitches upward and I am at a airspeed of 350 and it drops to 300 within 10 seconds, got some pics showing the pitch and the pics you requested, I will put them up in several minutes.

  27. #446
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    152

    Photo's

    here is the link, click on the next photo etc etc, remember you can enlarge the photo by clicking on it, then click again to return to the next pic.

    http://s1224.photobucket.com/albums/...nt%3DLEVEL.jpg

    Ok, I screwed up bigtime, I was traveling too fast for the intention of putting the gear down, this would of damaged the gear at the speed I was going but I have turned off the damage and stress button, I flew at a much slower speed and the plane slowly tilted downward VS upward at the 350 KIAS I was going at. this time I was at around 180.
    Last edited by MrShutter45; 07-08-2012 at 12:45 AM.

  28. #447
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    118

    Night view of '71 Portland/Vancouver from north

    Quote Originally Posted by hominid View Post
    By rotating and cropping the FBI flightpath map, squeezing it down vertically, and adding perspective, this is sort of like the cities would have looked when approaching from the north on a clear night. Oh, yeah. The gold color represents the city lights.
    I figured out that it would be easier to see the light pattern if I made the rest of it black.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to hominid For This Useful Post:


  30. #448
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    118

    Gear Test

    Quote Originally Posted by MrShutter45 View Post
    Ok, I screwed up bigtime, I was traveling too fast for the intention of putting the gear down, this would of damaged the gear at the speed I was going but I have turned off the damage and stress button, I flew at a much slower speed and the plane slowly tilted downward VS upward at the 350 KIAS I was going at. this time I was at around 180.
    If I understand correctly, the pix were from when you were dropping the gear at too high a speed. If so, ALL is right with the simulated world. First, you were going faster than is allowed for dropping the gear. I'm glad you were able to avoid crashing Second, you get correct direction of pitch and deceleration when you drop the gear at an appropriate airspeed. Nose-down pitch and decelleration are what should happen in the real world so I think it would be safe to assume that the simulator is at least closely accounting for the increased drag from dropping the gear.

  31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hominid For This Useful Post:


  32. #449
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    152

    Gear

    Quote Originally Posted by hominid View Post
    If I understand correctly, the pix were from when you were dropping the gear at too high a speed. If so, ALL is right with the simulated world. First, you were going faster than is allowed for dropping the gear. I'm glad you were able to avoid crashing Second, you get correct direction of pitch and deceleration when you drop the gear at an appropriate airspeed. Nose-down pitch and decelleration are what should happen in the real world so I think it would be safe to assume that the simulator is at least closely accounting for the increased drag from dropping the gear.
    yes those pics are from high speeds, I was looking it up and reading when it hit me about gear down at high speeds will damage the gear, so I cranked up the sim and sure enough the plane started to go downward and slow down.

    all part of being a test pilot

    your pic shows up too small to see.....

  33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrShutter45 For This Useful Post:


  34. #450
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by hominid View Post
    .....It is odd that the report statement for 7:43 was part of the logged comm for 7:42.
    Actually, not odd. Because the comm logging doesn't include seconds, the last part of what was logged at 7:42 could have happened up to 7:42:59.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920 LastLast
 
 

Similar Threads

  1. D.B Cooper still Alive? part 2 Merged
    By chicoliving in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 724
    Last Post: 05-30-2008, 11:34 AM
  2. D.B Cooper still Alive?
    By scandi in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 820
    Last Post: 05-24-2007, 02:15 PM
  3. Miners found ALIVE! Hallelujah! (CORRECTION ONE MINER ALIVE)
    By Schmerty_Jones in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 01-04-2006, 03:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •