Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 562
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    21,360

    Post Woman claims 1971 hijacker D.B. Cooper was her uncle

    By Steve Olafson | Reuters 8 hrs agoOKLAHOMA CITY (Reuters) - A woman claiming to be the niece of the mysterious skyjacker dubbed D.B. Cooper, who bailed out of a jetliner 40 years ago with $200,000 in ransom, says she recalls her uncle plotting the sensational caper at a family gathering in 1971. Marla Wynn Cooper, 48, of Oklahoma City, said on Wednesday that she was the person who furnished investigators new clues to a previously unknown suspect, sparking a renewed probe of a case the FBI counts as the only unsolved hijacking in U.S. aviation history.
    The woman told Reuters she gave the FBI a leather guitar strap made by her uncle, now dead for over a decade, along with a photo of him with the same strap, to be examined for fingerprints that might match those from the plane.
    "They were never going to close this case without someone knowing the truth," she said, adding she underwent a polygraph test administered by the FBI to assess her credibility.
    In an interview at a downtown Oklahoma City restaurant, she recalled seeing L.D. Cooper engrossed in suspicious behavior with another uncle, Dewey Cooper, during a holiday gathering at her grandmother's house in Oregon before Thanksgiving 1971.
    She said the two men, both brothers of her father, appeared to be secretly planning something as they experimented with sophisticated walkie-talkies, then left the family gathering for what they said was a turkey hunt.
    They returned Thanksgiving Day with her uncle bloodied and bruised, claiming he had been in an automobile accident.
    "I looked in the car ... for a turkey, and what I see instead is my uncle injured," she said. "I started to cry and said, 'What happened?' They told me they'd been in a car wreck, and I said, 'The car is fine. What were you driving?' My uncle Dewey said, 'Marla, shut up. Go get your dad."
    Later while eavesdropping, Cooper said, she overheard her Uncle Dewey say, "'Our money problems are over. We just have to go back and get the money. L.D. hijacked the airplane.'" more at link: http://news.yahoo.com/woman-claims-1...072547811.html
    Please help locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff and bring them home.

    Jodi, hot enough for you yet in Perryville, the only place you'll see 'till you die?? You got your wish to live in the Phoenix area for the rest of your life.
    Travis Alexander was the victim of Domestic Violence.

    JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie



  2. The Following User Says Thank You to LinasK For This Useful Post:


  3. #77
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    25,436
    Is 'Uncle L.D.' the notorious skyjacker D.B. Cooper? Experts are skeptical. (Christian Science Monitor)
    ---
    "Uncle L.D. is so far just Uncle L.D.," says author Geoffrey Gray, who dug through troves of FBI files about the case to write the upcoming book, "Skyjack: The hunt for D.B. Cooper." He adds, "I think it's compelling that people want to come forward with suspects and want the case solved, but you have to have some evidence beyond memories and second-hand information."
    ---
    Ms. Cooper's mother, Grace Hailey, added her suspicions in an interview with ABC News on Thursday. "I've always had a gut feeling it was L.D.," Ms. Hailey said. "What I didn't know [was almost worse] than what I did know, because whenever the topic came up, it immediately got cut off again."
    ---
    I note that the skeptical expert (singular) also has a book coming out.


  4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:


  5. #78
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    25,436
    25-minute interview with Ms. Cooper: Daily Oklahoman.


  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:


  7. #79
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,939
    Quote Originally Posted by LinasK View Post
    By Steve Olafson | Reuters 8 hrs agoOKLAHOMA CITY (Reuters) - A woman claiming to be the niece of the mysterious skyjacker dubbed D.B. Cooper, who bailed out of a jetliner 40 years ago with $200,000 in ransom, says she recalls her uncle plotting the sensational caper at a family gathering in 1971. Marla Wynn Cooper, 48, of Oklahoma City, said on Wednesday that she was the person who furnished investigators new clues to a previously unknown suspect, sparking a renewed probe of a case the FBI counts as the only unsolved hijacking in U.S. aviation history.
    The woman told Reuters she gave the FBI a leather guitar strap made by her uncle, now dead for over a decade, along with a photo of him with the same strap, to be examined for fingerprints that might match those from the plane.
    "They were never going to close this case without someone knowing the truth," she said, adding she underwent a polygraph test administered by the FBI to assess her credibility.
    In an interview at a downtown Oklahoma City restaurant, she recalled seeing L.D. Cooper engrossed in suspicious behavior with another uncle, Dewey Cooper, during a holiday gathering at her grandmother's house in Oregon before Thanksgiving 1971.
    She said the two men, both brothers of her father, appeared to be secretly planning something as they experimented with sophisticated walkie-talkies, then left the family gathering for what they said was a turkey hunt.
    They returned Thanksgiving Day with her uncle bloodied and bruised, claiming he had been in an automobile accident.
    "I looked in the car ... for a turkey, and what I see instead is my uncle injured," she said. "I started to cry and said, 'What happened?' They told me they'd been in a car wreck, and I said, 'The car is fine. What were you driving?' My uncle Dewey said, 'Marla, shut up. Go get your dad."
    Later while eavesdropping, Cooper said, she overheard her Uncle Dewey say, "'Our money problems are over. We just have to go back and get the money. L.D. hijacked the airplane.'" more at link: http://news.yahoo.com/woman-claims-1...072547811.html
    The only thing I find amazing about this is the F.B.I during the initial investigation and in the 40 years since...never bothered to look at a guy named 'L.D.(freaking)Cooper' who worked at Boeing in Seattle??????
    Beautiful.


  8. The Following User Says Thank You to kline For This Useful Post:


  9. #80
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,249
    DNA Test Fails to Solve D.B. Cooper Mystery

    Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/08/08...#ixzz1UVIuRe5c


  10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blondie in Spokane For This Useful Post:


  11. #81
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,939
    I still find it incredible that a guy named 'L.D. Cooper' who worked at Boeing in Seattle at the time of the highjacking apparently never crossed the FBI's radar before now. Hello...?


  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kline For This Useful Post:


  13. #82
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    167

    FBI Investigation

    I don't know why the FBI doesn't open up all their files on this case. I would want to know what things were done by the police back then. If this happened today (pretending it would even be possible) you would have computers that processed info instantly. If DB Cooper died, you would think in the weeks that followed, somewhere a family member or friend would file a police report for a missing person. Even if no one reported him, I think someone missed him and put two and two together back then. Of course he could be a complete loner so nobody missed him. You would think he had something left behind like abandoned property. But how would you ever do a search for missing people during that time frame now? Can't believe this was his first crime, but it would hardly seem logical that a person who robbed banks, or houses one day decides he wants to jump out of an airplane to get money. He had to be desperate for money or addicted to adventure. I would also think he made several flights in the weeks leading up to develop his plan. As I said in the first sentence, I would like to know all that the police/fbi know. There is probably some note written by some desk cop with a name given by a caller looking for their brother. or someone calling to say that sketch looks like their neighbor...lost and never followed up on.


  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikebr For This Useful Post:


  15. #83
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by kline View Post
    I still find it incredible that a guy named 'L.D. Cooper' who worked at Boeing in Seattle at the time of the highjacking apparently never crossed the FBI's radar before now. Hello...?
    the hijacker used the name Dan Cooper. Probably not even close to his real name. A reporter used the name DB Cooper and it stuck. LD Cooper could even be a woman. where is this name found?


  16. #84
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by colette View Post
    I don't think a hijacker would use his real last name. The uncle does not look like DB Cooper. I doubt someone who carried off this crime would say, "I'm rich, I hijacked a plane" in front of an 8 yr old girl. Someone so careful not to leave fingerprints and took his empty matchbook cover with him is not going to tell an 8 yr old girl his crime. The neice has a book coming out....she may think DB Cooper is her uncle but I don't.
    I agree. I was a kid back then, and many people made jokes about being db cooper for years that followed. Maybe an adult with a great imagination and a wish to be true remembers an innocent ribbing by an uncle when they were a child. 8 is really young..a few years earlier the uncle probably convinced her he got her nose..lol.


  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikebr For This Useful Post:


  18. #85
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    3,258
    http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...s_william.html

    I know this isn't DB. He's 5'6" where DB was taller. But I was searching for a match for an unidentified on the east coast and as soon as I clicked his picture I said "that looks like DB Cooper!" Then I saw that he went missing in Summer of '71.

    Again, don't think it's him, but it is kind of a creepy likeness, no?


  19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Irish_Eyes For This Useful Post:


  20. #86
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Eyes View Post
    http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...s_william.html

    I know this isn't DB. He's 5'6" where DB was taller. But I was searching for a match for an unidentified on the east coast and as soon as I clicked his picture I said "that looks like DB Cooper!" Then I saw that he went missing in Summer of '71.

    Again, don't think it's him, but it is kind of a creepy likeness, no?
    I think you are on the right track..dan cooper, db...if he died..must be missed by someone...hopefully they filed a missing persons and most likely it would have been filed the weeks leading up to or after the hijacking. i also tried a search of missing people but given the time frame, the vast majority are hand written in some unknown police dept if they even still exist. i would be curious to know what the police did back then, looking for missing people. Of course if he survived he was never missing.


  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikebr For This Useful Post:


  22. #87
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    Posts
    30,579

    Question Could the identity of DB Cooper be found out soon?



  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steely Dan For This Useful Post:


  24. #88
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    Posts
    30,579
    http://www.seattlepi.com/local/artic...se-1684566.php

    No fingerprints found on item in D.B. Cooper case
    FBI says other names not public are being investigated
    BY CASEY MCNERTHNEY, SEATTLEPI.COM STAFF
    Updated 09:36 p.m., Monday, August 1, 2011


    ...The name of a man not previously investigated was given to the FBI nearly a year ago by a law enforcement colleague, and an item that belongs to him was sent for fingerprint work at the agency's Quantico, Va., forensic lab, agents told seattlepi.com.

    "The nature of the material was not good for prints," Gutt said.

    He added agents are obtaining other items that may have the suspect's fingerprints in hopes of matching them with prints taken from the Northwest Orient plane after Cooper jumped the night of Nov. 24, 1971.

    "It's a matter of vetting the information," Gutt said of the law enforcement lead. "Some of the vetting we have done, and it corroborated the initial lead."...

    Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/local/artic...#ixzz1f2gT1Rwo


  25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steely Dan For This Useful Post:


  26. #89
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    23,750
    I almost hate for them to solve it now. It is a legend that almost goes beyond reality, if the guy isn't alive there would be no prosecution and almost no reason for solving it now.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

    Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?


    "Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight


  27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mysteriew For This Useful Post:


  28. #90
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    Posts
    30,579
    Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew View Post
    I almost hate for them to solve it now. It is a legend that almost goes beyond reality, if the guy isn't alive there would be no prosecution and almost no reason for solving it now.
    I disagree, while I don't think it's high priority I'd love to know who it was.


  29. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Steely Dan For This Useful Post:


  30. #91
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    25,436
    And, germane to this thread and also on WS....

    DB Cooper at 40: pure titanium & the clip-on tie


    I guess we need some sort of D.B. Cooper omnibus thread, inclusive of all info - and there's been a relative glut of it this year. (If we don't have one already, which we may - there's at least one other.)

    Great case - Dan Cooper, I imagine, fell to his death that night. As much as I don't want that to be the solution.
    Last edited by KateB; 05-23-2015 at 07:07 PM. Reason: repair url tag.


  31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:


  32. #92
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    23,750
    As big a mystery as the question of whether or not DB Cooper lived through that night, and as big a mystery as just exactly who DB Cooper was, to me there is a big mystery of all the men who have since claimed to be DB Cooper.

    Why would you claim to be DB Cooper if you weren't? Esp. the guy who claimed it on his deathbed.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

    Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?


    "Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight


  33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mysteriew For This Useful Post:


  34. #93
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    Posts
    30,579
    Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    And, germane to this thread and also on WS....

    DB Cooper at 40: pure titanium & the clip-on tie


    I guess we need some sort of D.B. Cooper omnibus thread, inclusive of all info - and there's been a relative glut of it this year. (If we don't have one already, which we may - there's at least one other.)

    Great case - Dan Cooper, I imagine, fell to his death that night. As much as I don't want that to be the solution.
    I was mystified when I couldn't find a DB Cooper forum, let alone a thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew View Post
    As big a mystery as the question of whether or not DB Cooper lived through that night, and as big a mystery as just exactly who DB Cooper was, to me there is a big mystery of all the men who have since claimed to be DB Cooper.

    Why would you claim to be DB Cooper if you weren't? Esp. the guy who claimed it on his deathbed.
    Fame, and the guy on his deathbed was probably doing it so his family could make money. JMO


  35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steely Dan For This Useful Post:


  36. #94
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    Posts
    30,579
    Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    And, germane to this thread and also on WS....

    DB Cooper at 40: pure titanium & the clip-on tie


    I guess we need some sort of D.B. Cooper omnibus thread, inclusive of all info - and there's been a relative glut of it this year. (If we don't have one already, which we may - there's at least one other.)

    Great case - Dan Cooper, I imagine, fell to his death that night. As much as I don't want that to be the solution.
    I entered DB Cooper into the search engine here and nothing came up? Maybe a mod can merge them.


  37. The Following User Says Thank You to Steely Dan For This Useful Post:


  38. #95
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    25,436

  39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:


  40. #96
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    Posts
    30,579
    Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    How'd you find those?


  41. #97
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    25,436
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
    How'd you find those?
    Let's see....I posted several times about the gal in Oklahoma City who says her uncle was D.B. Cooper, so I went with "Cooper Oklahoma City," and didn't find it but found the first two; and I remembered that one title I'd seen had the word "legend" in it so "Cooper legend." WS search engine a delicate beast at best of times.


  42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:


  43. #98
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    23,750
    The thing is, if he went missing in that time frame and if the family cared enough to file a report.... with DB Cooper's likeness being in the media after the highjacking wouldn't it be likely that they would see his likeness in the paper or TV and bring someone's attention to it?
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

    Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?


    "Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight


  44. #99
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    23,750
    Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    There was a lot of work done in those old threads and several suspects were named.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

    Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?


    "Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight


  45. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mysteriew For This Useful Post:


  46. #100
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew View Post
    The thing is, if he went missing in that time frame and if the family cared enough to file a report.... with DB Cooper's likeness being in the media after the highjacking wouldn't it be likely that they would see his likeness in the paper or TV and bring someone's attention to it?
    you would think so. if he died perhaps, he had been estranged from his family so long they had either reported him years before or never. i was thinking, given the time frame, he may have changed his appearance for the hijacking..what if he had been wearing long hair and a beard for years..the clip on tie makes me think it was only bought for the caper..not something he wore in real life. and its always possible the police did get a tip from some relative but the tip was lost in the thousands of tips they received. If someone called and said that looks a little like my nephew but i haven't seen him in years and i don't know where he is now.....might be tossed aside by some tip line operator or some desk officer....

    If he lived and never was reported missing i would still expect calls identifying him. i think he had radically changed his appearance though...so the sketch might be too far off...if i were assigned this case i would spend a couple of years climbing through every box of evidence on this case...somewhere i bet he was identified but overlooked.


  47. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikebr For This Useful Post:


Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 765
    Last Post: 10-29-2014, 05:28 PM
  2. Turkins Airlines Hijacking attempt thwarted by passengers!
    By MrsG728 in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-15-2008, 01:01 PM
  3. WA WA - D.B. Cooper hijacking mystery #2
    By chicoliving in forum Cold Cases
    Replies: 724
    Last Post: 05-30-2008, 11:34 AM
  4. WA WA - D.B. Cooper hijacking mystery #1
    By scandi in forum Cold Cases
    Replies: 820
    Last Post: 05-24-2007, 02:15 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •