New Stone turned at Stonehenge

golfmom

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-stonehenge_30may30,0,3850894.story

Radiocarbon dating of cremated bodies excavated from Britain's Stonehenge has solved part of the mystery surrounding the 5,000-year-old site: It was a burial ground for what might have been the country's first royal dynasty.

The new dates indicate burials began at least 500 years before the first massive stones were erected at the site and continued after it was completed, British archeologists said Thursday.

The pattern and relatively small number of the graves suggest all were members of a single family.

They had a special on Stonehenge last night on the history channel. Very informative.

I always used to adore visiting Stonehenge before they closed off the public's chance of getting up close to the stones.

it's a magnificent site destroyed by the tourist board. although i do see how it could have been eroded by public touching.

in my opinion — and experience — there is much, much more to it than being a royal grave site. i can see how a royal line would have commandered it as their own.

it's on the old, straight tracks (ley lines) and it is an enormously powerful site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ley_line

ETA: i feel an urge to make adjustments to my profile page! :waitasec:

Floh I'm jealous! I wish I could go to see it. Ahhh, so glad you could though!

I understand it is one of the "magnetic" sites on this planet....

Floh I'm jealous! I wish I could go to see it. Ahhh, so glad you could though!

I understand it is one of the "magnetic" sites on this planet....

It is, IMO and in others' opinions.

now then, i see you live in Perth and i'm very jealous as i wish when i went to Australia i had made it to see the stromalites in that part of the world!

I was there a year-and-a-half ago, doing photography... it was a huge let down because of how the place is being handled. For one, it is in the middle of 2 main roads (literally, a fork in the road... bam, there it is... it makes you feel like you walked through a large intersection) and while it is roped off, the tourist board had put plastic walk ways around it for people to walk around. I was shocked by what I saw... I was expecting this beautiful setting, as we have all been led to believe it looks like, when in reality the tourist board has turned it into nothing short of an amusement park sight. I swear I told my friend that it wouldn't surprise me to come back the following year and find Golden Arches across the road from it.

I was there a year-and-a-half ago, doing photography... it was a huge let down because of how the place is being handled. For one, it is in the middle of 2 main roads (literally, a fork in the road... bam, there it is... it makes you feel like you walked through a large intersection) and while it is roped off, the tourist board had put plastic walk ways around it for people to walk around. I was shocked by what I saw... I was expecting this beautiful setting, as we have all been led to believe it looks like, when in reality the tourist board has turned it into nothing short of an amusement park sight. I swear I told my friend that it wouldn't surprise me to come back the following year and find Golden Arches across the road from it.

Yes, Elphaba — it was horrible when i last went in 1982 and i have heard it is yet more horrible still.

a pox on the tourist board. :furious:

Well, that sort of takes all the power, beauty and mystery right out of the stones doesn't it? :waitasec:

http://www.themoneytimes.com/articl...ystery_surrounding_stonehenge-id-1024774.html

According to one of the theories Stonehenge was used as a place for healing. The scientists are of the viewpoint that the place had healing powers even before the Stonehenge was constructed. The stones were erected afterwards. These erected stones are known as the bluestones.
The scientists have also found one more thing. They have unearthed a colony of houses about 3.2 km from the Stonehenge. They have found nearly 300 houses in there, out which 10 have been excavated. According to scientists twice the given number could have existed at that time. Even if we assume four persons per house, then also the total population will cross 2000.

Another fact which has been noticed by the scientists is that, all the houses are not same. This points out towards the existence hierarchical living even at that point of time.

Also the scientists unearthed a pair of antlers in one of the ditches. Each of such antlers required 2 persons to lift it. Also another pair will be required to lift the rubble. Using these facts scientists found that at least 200 people were working on a single ditch. If all 22 ditches are taken into account then workforce would exceed thousand.

Well, that sort of takes all the power, beauty and mystery right out of the stones doesn't it? :waitasec:

The whole area, stones and place, have been utterly destroyed.

i am a conspiracy theorist and i say it was deliberate. :furious:

The whole area, stones and place, have been utterly destroyed.

i am a conspiracy theorist and i say it was deliberate. :furious:

After being outraged, I decided to just ignore what they've done and use my extraordinary imaginative powers and put it back just the way I think it should be.

Nobody messes with my visions!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back