Reunification

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
I thought it might be good to post the reunification rules as they develop. This is what they were as of Fri.

In their negotiations, Walther set out rules: In order to take custody, FLDS parents or their designees must produce an affidavit and have themselves and their children photographed "at the time of taking possession of the child," according to the order.
Also, the children would not be allowed to leave the state for at least 90 days, and if the families move within Texas, the parents must notify the state seven working days prior to the relocation.
And if the children were to travel within state lines more than 60 miles from where they live, the state must be told at least 48 hours in advance.
The judge also would have required that state officials be allowed access to the YFZ Ranch "at any and all times necessary to the investigation" if any children are there. In addition, mothers and fathers must take parenting classes.
The children were taken from the YFZ Ranch in Eldorado between April 3-5. Residents of the ranch are members of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, which holds plural marriage as one of its sacred tenets.
http://origin.sltrib.com/news/ci_9428706

The judge is saying she wants the agreement signed by the mothers before she issues the order to release the children. The FLDS attorneys are saying that will take too long.

Does anyone know what the plans are for the minor girls who are pregnant? Are they being returned to the compound? How about the boys who had broken bones? Teen girls who are nearing FLDS marriage guidelines? Children whose parents refuse to sign the agreement? And how about that one alleged mother who has refused to sign everything because of a criminal investigation, will her children be returned?

I'm not sure what will happen with those girls. I hope they won't be included in those going back to the ranch.

---
State officials had reached the tentative agreement with the 38 mothers, who have 124 children in custody, and had agreed that the order would be extended to all but a few specific children.

and

The Third Court of Appeals last week that the state failed to show that any more than five of the teenage girls were being sexually abused, and had offered no evidence of sexual or physical abuse against the other children.

Link:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080531/ap_on_re_us/polygamist_retreat

----

Are those minor girls the few specific children? Or are the children with broken bones included?

I would think any parent who refused to sign, for whatever reason, would not get their children back.

The terms of the release remain tough for sect members. Parents must agree to be photographed picking up their children, and to be fingerprinted and provide identification, as well as agree to attending "standard parenting classes," according to the order.
They also must agree not to interfere with the Texas Child Protective Services ongoing investigation into alleged child abuse and neglect; allow CPS workers to visit, question and examine the children, both medically and psychologically, in their homes. Further, the parents must provide seven days notice before any moves, and 48 hours notice of any travel more than 100 miles from their homes -- and they are prohibited from leaving Texas with their children.
http://origin.sltrib.com/ci_9454066

I think DNA results are going to hold back some reunifications because CPS has no idea who the BIO parents are. There are only 124 of the 462 kids covered specifically by the current court order and if the parents have no proof that the child is really theirs, the kids won't be going home just yet. And as for the "fathers" I wonder HOW they are going to handle the living arrangements if the bio father has like 5 or 6 wives and 30 children?? Where does the father actually reside? Will he be allowed visitation ONLY? If one of his wives is 14, will he be permitted to visit the children of his other wives?

The positive part of this is that they are breaking up the "group" by requiring the mothers to remain in scattered locations and NOT allowing them to relocate without notification. I am assuming they cannot all return to YFZ because of the inability of CPS to control the visitation and exposure to possible abusers. And I doubt the YFZ Ranch is set up so as to meet the CPS standards in housing - probably too many children in one "household" and no control of visitors and CPS must have FREE access 24-7-365 - something the ranch isn't going to accept...having dozens of different caseworkers from CPS just be able to show up and enter at any time and see the children with no warrant and no notice.

The FLDS isn't going to be able to keep their "secrets" and send girls to far-flung locations or dump unwanted boys - the kids will have supervision until they are 18 - no lost boys and no married 14 year olds. The FLDS wanted to be in Texas and now, they HAVE to be in Texas - under supervision - until their youngest child turns 18. This isn't Utah OR Arizona - the FLDS isn't running everything in Texas and now the FLDS members can't go back to a place where they are "safe" from scrutiny. They may get their kids back, but Texas has hamstrung them into an open door to the "outside world" (and requiring them to follow the law) and that will last for years and hopefully change the future for their children. That FLDS excuse for a "school" (basically work and religion) and educating kids only thru 8th grade isn't gonna fly with CPS and once the kids get a taste of real learning and education - well it's hard to unring a bell or close an open mind.

I have hope still and I am happy that the FLDS "secrets" are now public... it's a start - and the bright light shining in will illuminate a lot of dark ugly things that won't survive now they are revealed. Only nasty things grow in isolated secret dark places..and the inside of the FLDS is neither anymore.

My Opinion

Polygamist sect parents, children begin reuniting

SAN ANGELO, Texas - More than 400 children taken from a polygamist sect's ranch two months ago began returning to the arms of their tearful parents Monday, hours after a judge bowed to a state Supreme Court ruling that the seizure was not justified.

"It's just great day," said Nancy Dockstader, whose chin quivered and eyes filled with tears as she embraced her 9-year-old daughter, Amy, outside a foster-care center in Gonzales, about 65 miles east of San Antonio. "We're so grateful."
Her daughter and four other children were among the roughly 430 children ordered released after two months in state custody, much of it spent in foster care centers. Because siblings were separated at facilities hundreds of miles apart, it will probably take several days for all the families to be reunited.
Judge Barbara Walther responded to a state Supreme Court ruling last week by signing an order that cleared the children to be released from foster care. Walther allowed parents to begin picking up their children Monday, ending one of the nation's largest child-custody cases.
Dockstader and her husband, James, were headed to Corpus Christi and to Amarillo to pick up their other children. "We'll get the rest of them," said Dockstader, who was clad in a teal prairie dress and clinging to Amy, who wore a matching dress.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080602/ap_on_re_us/polygamist_retreat_18

I think DNA results are going to hold back some reunifications because CPS has no idea who the BIO parents are. There are only 124 of the 462 kids covered specifically by the current court order and if the parents have no proof that the child is really theirs, the kids won't be going home just yet. And as for the "fathers" I wonder HOW they are going to handle the living arrangements if the bio father has like 5 or 6 wives and 30 children?? Where does the father actually reside? Will he be allowed visitation ONLY? If one of his wives is 14, will he be permitted to visit the children of his other wives?

The positive part of this is that they are breaking up the "group" by requiring the mothers to remain in scattered locations and NOT allowing them to relocate without notification. I am assuming they cannot all return to YFZ because of the inability of CPS to control the visitation and exposure to possible abusers. And I doubt the YFZ Ranch is set up so as to meet the CPS standards in housing - probably too many children in one "household" and no control of visitors and CPS must have FREE access 24-7-365 - something the ranch isn't going to accept...having dozens of different caseworkers from CPS just be able to show up and enter at any time and see the children with no warrant and no notice.

The FLDS isn't going to be able to keep their "secrets" and send girls to far-flung locations or dump unwanted boys - the kids will have supervision until they are 18 - no lost boys and no married 14 year olds. The FLDS wanted to be in Texas and now, they HAVE to be in Texas - under supervision - until their youngest child turns 18. This isn't Utah OR Arizona - the FLDS isn't running everything in Texas and now the FLDS members can't go back to a place where they are "safe" from scrutiny. They may get their kids back, but Texas has hamstrung them into an open door to the "outside world" (and requiring them to follow the law) and that will last for years and hopefully change the future for their children. That FLDS excuse for a "school" (basically work and religion) and educating kids only thru 8th grade isn't gonna fly with CPS and once the kids get a taste of real learning and education - well it's hard to unring a bell or close an open mind.

I have hope still and I am happy that the FLDS "secrets" are now public... it's a start - and the bright light shining in will illuminate a lot of dark ugly things that won't survive now they are revealed. Only nasty things grow in isolated secret dark places..and the inside of the FLDS is neither anymore.

My Opinion

Flowerchild - I've not been posting much here as I tend to get a little too emotional with regard to this case. But I have read your posts and this post today was especially helpful for me - thank you for that. I've been afraid from the beginning that all of the effort Texas put forth would come to nothing and upon learning of the court's decision today, I believed that was the case. Your post gave me hope and I will attempt to remain optimistic about the future of the children of the FLDS sect. I would like nothing more than to see this group completely disassembled forever and legal precedents established to keep anything like them from organizing again.

Flowerchild, do you think that attorneys will be able to eventually stop CPS supervision of the kids until they're 18? That might be an awfully long time to keep a case open.

I heard on tv today that one attorney is petitioning the court not to return a 16 year old she represents. She states that the girl was sexually abused previously and would be in danger of it upon her return. I suspect there will be other attorney's who are considering the safety of those they represent and will follow suit.

When the flds states that the children were traumatized and will need extensive counseling, it gives me pause, because of what's been said about their definition of counseling within their sect. Several of the children were reported to have bonded with their carers and did not want to return.

I know the court ruled they was to be given back but I am a bit behind and there are so many links! can anyone tell me if the children have been sent back home yet? btw i completely disagree with the ruling.

I know the court ruled they was to be given back but I am a bit behind and there are so many links! can anyone tell me if the children have been sent back home yet? btw i completely disagree with the ruling.

Parents are being reunited with their children. From what I hear, their attorneys are recommending that they stay away from the ranch.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back