"5 reasons why mothers kill their children" Patsy Ramsey vs. Andrea Yates

Shanny

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I was watching a document on A & E about mothers who kill their children and in the document it said there are 5 reason why a mother kills her child:

1.Altruistic- One who thinks she is helping her child by killing them.
2. Unwanted Child- One who no longer wants to care for her child
3. Spousal Revenge-One that kill out of spite towards her spouse.
4. Chaotic- One who suffers from a chaotic episode with no compressible motive.
5. Maltreatment- Battered Child's syndrome

They showed a tape of Andrea Yates, she said this is the reason why she kill her children:
Questioner: Why did you take your childrens's lives?
Andrea: They were in their innocent years and God would have taken them up...to Heaven
Questioner: And if you had not taken their lives what would have happned to them?
Andrea: They would have kept stumbling
Questioner: And where would they have gone?
Andrea: .....To Hell....
When she said that, that made me think of Patsy Ramsey and wonder if she would have fallen under the same category as Andrea Yates (Altruistic Mother) if she was convicted of killing JonBenet.
{Pasty vs. Andrea Yates}
A & E said Andrea Yates went by the Bible and when she killed her kids she called her husband and said " It's Time" referring to the Bible ritual for the coming of the end of the world.
Patsy Ramsey went by the Bible and when she seen JonBenet's body lying on the floor the first thing she shouted was "'Jesus, you raised Lazarus from the dead, please raise my baby!" If you think about Patsy words, Patsy could have been asking Jesus to "raise JonBenet up to heaven and take care of her."
Andrea Yates believed that if she killed her children while they were in their innocent years God would take them up to Heaven.
Patsy Ramsey probably believed the same thing, if she killed JonBenet on Christmas night while JonBenet was in her innocent years that would be JonBenet's ticket into Heaven.

A couple of weeks ago I was watching a document on A & E about mothers who kill their children and in the document it said there are 5 reason why a mother kills her child:

They showed a tape of Andrea Yates, she said this is the reason why she kill her children:
Andrea: They were in their innocent years and God would have taken them up...to Heaven
Questioner: And if you had not taken their lives what would have happned to them?
When she said that, that made me think of Patsy Ramsey and wonder if she would have fallen under the same category as Andrea Yates (Altruistic Mother) if she was convicted of killing JonBenet.
{Pasty vs. Andrea Yates}
A & E said Andrea Yates went by the Bible and when she killed her kids she called her husband and said " It's Time" referring to the Bible ritual for the coming of the end of the world.
Patsy Ramsey went by the Bible and when she seen JonBenet's body lying on the floor the first thing she shouted was "'Jesus, you raised Lazarus from the dead, please raise my baby!" If you think about Patsy words, Patsy could have been asking Jesus to "raise JonBenet up to heaven and take care of her."
Andrea Yates believed that if she killed her children while they were in their innocent years God would take them up to Heaven.
Patsy Ramsey probably believed the same thing, if she killed JonBenet on Christmas night while JonBenet was in her innocent years that would be JonBenet's ticket into Heaven.

Burke was also in his "innocent years" ....so why didn't she kill him too??

Burke was also in his "innocent years" ....so why didn't she kill him too??
Because Patsy was more closer to JonBenet, she tried to make JonBenet be her, ( from the pageants, to the pageant outfits, to the song they sang together when they traveled to competitions, "Gypsy," a musical and movie about a mother obsessed with making her daughter a star, it sung "Wherever we go, whatever we do, we're gonna get through it together," ) Patsy was scared to die of Cancer but all of a sudden once JonBenet died she started saying " I live for that moment when I can meet JonBenet on the other side."

{Pasty vs. Andrea Yates}
I tend to think Patsy just lost it and had had it with JB,once and for all.
And as far as the Lazarus comment...I think she said it to make it look like she didn't really want JB dead..to save her own butt.Plus she was always into the dramatic performances,and I think that just went along nicely with what she needed at the time.(much like the Hollywood-ized RN).
But you did make some good points,so I am not necessarily disagreeing with you.Good insight :)

Only thing I would add is,if JB were being molested,could that have added an alruistic (i.e.-this is not going to stop, so she would be better off dead?)..or perhaps spousal revenge.. motive?

Because Patsy was more closer to JonBenet, she tried to make JonBenet be her, ( from the pageants, to the pageant outfits, to the song they sang together when they traveled to competitions, "Gypsy," a musical and movie about a mother obsessed with making her daughter a star, it sung "Wherever we go, whatever we do, we're gonna get through it together," ) Patsy was scared to die of Cancer but all of a sudden once JonBenet died she started saying " I live for that moment when I can meet JonBenet on the other side."
on that note I have to wonder if Patsy subconsciously was killing a part of herself she didn't like,which she saw in JB.(If she had been abused herself as a child or teen,that would be all the more likely).I think she saw her as part of herself,as she described in DOI...like a right arm.And as the bible says,'if thine arm offends thee,then cut it off!'
I realize you are saying something entirely different though,and I think that's good insight as well.

To me, it looks like #4- a chaotic episode.

PR may have had, on either a subconscious or conscious level, fears about her own death and not wanting to leave JBR behind. In having JBR predecease her, she doesn't have to worry about what will happen to her daughter after her mommy dies. Possibly she WAS worried about JBR being sexually abused. Certainly Nedra would have continued her push to have her granddaughter wear the Miss America crown.
But these thoughts are simply trying make a psychological problem fit the crime.
I really feel that whatever emotional, physical or psychological problems PR had, that night- that crime- was the result of a chaotic episode.

To me, it looks like #4- a chaotic episode.

PR may have had, on either a subconscious or conscious level, fears about her own death and not wanting to leave JBR behind. In having JBR predecease her, she doesn't have to worry about what will happen to her daughter after her mommy dies. Possibly she WAS worried about JBR being sexually abused. Certainly Nedra would have continued her push to have her granddaughter wear the Miss America crown.
But these thoughts are simply trying make a psychological problem fit the crime.
I really feel that whatever emotional, physical or psychological problems PR had, that night- that crime- was the result of a chaotic episode.

That I agree with. Chaotic episode is an understatement. But how would you describe momentary beserk

{Pasty vs. Andrea Yates}

Shanny,
I doubt Patsy falls into any of these categories, the chaotic episode just seems like a catch-all section aka dont know? There have been numerous theories linking JonBenet's death biblically e.g. Saved By The Cross yielded up a profile, by Dale Yeager, for the investigators, outlining Patsy as being influenced by the charismatic/ penetecostal movement during her bout with cancer. Specifically books read by Patsy with authors such as Osteen, Hickey, Barnhill et-al, offer a mystical approach where god speaks directly to the person. So the themes of cords/bindings, SBTC, and Sacrifice play the main role in explaining JonBenet's death. e.g.

Psalm 118:27b Old Testament :-
The Lord is our God, Who has shown and given us light. Decorate the festival with leafy boughs and bind the sacrifices to be offered with thick cords to the horns of the alter

Other aproaches have Patsy with multiple personalities, schitzophrenic, Bi-Polar etc.

Thats how I feel.

Certainly was chaotic and there was definitely an episode. So I guess we could lump the two together.

She lost it that night and killed her child and it was over in seconds.

She certainly pulled herself together quickly though - to defend herself.

Only thing I would add is,if JB were being molested,could that have added an alruistic (i.e.-this is not going to stop, so she would be better off dead?)..or perhaps spousal revenge.. motive?

I thought about the Spousal revenge-One that kill out of spite towards her spouse, also
I was thinking of Marilyn Lemak who killed her kids (Thomas, 3, Emily, 6, and Nicholas, 7 ) by feeding them peanut butter sandwiches laced with antidepressants to "get back" at her husband because he was having an affair with another woman.
From Patsy's point of view she probably thought John was having an affair, when she was sick with cancer she had sworn she would not die and leave her family behind because she didn't want "A certain blonde b**ch down the street to steal her husband."
She could have killed JonBenet to "get back" at John for cheating on her.
Or John could have been molesting JonBenet and Patsy seen it as "You took my husband away from me, now I'm going to take your life away from you."

I thought about the Spousal revenge-One that kill out of spite towards her spouse, also
I was thinking of Marilyn Lemak who killed her kids (Thomas, 3, Emily, 6, and Nicholas, 7 ) by feeding them peanut butter sandwiches laced with antidepressants to "get back" at her husband because he was having an affair with another woman.
From Patsy's point of view she probably thought John was having an affair, when she was sick with cancer she had sworn she would not die and leave her family behind because she didn't want "A certain blonde b**ch down the street to steal her husband."
She could have killed JonBenet to "get back" at John for cheating on her.
Or John could have been molesting JonBenet and Patsy seen it as "You took my husband away from me, now I'm going to take your life away from you."
I've always thought perhaps there was more to it than just toilet rage...maybe that was enough,but from the looks of that hole in her head,(and I know a child's skull isn't as hard as an adults),still,it looks like a wound inflicted with intent to kill.And my best guess is still the flashlight.

I've always thought perhaps there was more to it than just toilet rage...maybe that was enough,but from the looks of that hole in her head,(and I know a child's skull isn't as hard as an adults),still,it looks like a wound inflicted with intent to kill.And my best guess is still the flashlight.

I see it as murderous rage without intent. Call it blind fury whatever I keep going back to the bipolar thing as I they simply go off POW later when they have me back to their level of reality really have this I didnt mean to do it and it was their fault attitudes.

but from the looks of that hole in her head,(and I know a child's skull isn't as hard as an adults),still,it looks like a wound inflicted with intent to kill.And my best guess is still the flashlight.

I kind of had doubts about the flashlight theory
I've always wondered could someone have taken JonBenet down to the basement, strangled her from behind and as she was dying she slumped over a cracked her head on the basement concrete floor?

I think Patsy was all about pretense and appearing perfect. Not being perfect ...just projecting that image. As JonBenet had gotten older she wasn't as compliant as Patsy was used to. Little girls about that age begin talking back, misbehaving. Lump that in with her less than perfect toilet issues it was just too much! Patsy had so much to do and little to no help from John. I think she was struck with the flashlight in a moment of blind rage and Patsy thinking she was already dead ...planned yet another facade and went quickly to work making it appear as a kidnapping. Using her flair for the dramatic she went to work writing the ransom note. To me it's obvious a woman wrote it.

Patsy was a "let me show you what I have and how great my life is person". I have aleast two friends like that. Everything is for appearances and you won't ever hear something negative about there life (even through you know things are going on that aren't so good in their life). Let me show you my child can count to 30 at 2 years old, let me show you my house and my ten Christmas trees, let me show you how much better I have it than you. I think people like her and my friends are very insecure individuals and have life's values in the wrong place. Both my friends were poor growing up through, unlike Patty who seemed to have all she needed and wanted growing up.

I see it as murderous rage without intent. Call it blind fury whatever I keep going back to the bipolar thing as I they simply go off POW later when they have me back to their level of reality really have this I didnt mean to do it and it was their fault attitudes.

I agree with you coloradokares. I think she was enraged about something and killed JB. I wonder if she always regretted it or just moved past it.

I kind of had doubts about the flashlight theory
I've always wondered could someone have taken JonBenet down to the basement, strangled her from behind and as she was dying she slumped over a cracked her head on the basement concrete floor?

Just from a physics perspective- a huge crack like that wouldn't have happened in a fall unless she was falling from the second story or higher. And then there'd be other fractures, broken bones, internal injuries, bruises.
JBR was about 4 feet tall, weighed a bit over 40 lbs. The laws of physics apply, even in cases of death/murder. A child of that size and weight falling to the floor from a standing position, even as dead weight (unconscious) would not hit he floor (even a concrete floor) with enough force to produce a fracture like that. i am not saying a child hitting their head on a concrete floor wouldn't get a skull fracture- that could happen. But there are fractures and there are FRACTURES. JBR's was a FRACTURE.
That fracture happened one of two ways- she was struck with something (either the flashlight, golf cub, or bat)
OR she was slammed into something with an edge (like a faucet or the tiled right-angle edge of the tub enclosure).
The autopsy lists "blunt force trauma" to the head. The operative word is "force". That implies slamming or bashing, and an injury from a fall would be different, as the skull strikes a flat surface.

Shanny,
I doubt Patsy falls into any of these categories, the chaotic episode just seems like a catch-all section aka dont know? There have been numerous theories linking JonBenet's death biblically e.g. Saved By The Cross yielded up a profile, by Dale Yeager, for the investigators, outlining Patsy as being influenced by the charismatic/ penetecostal movement during her bout with cancer. Specifically books read by Patsy with authors such as Osteen, Hickey, Barnhill et-al, offer a mystical approach where god speaks directly to the person. So the themes of cords/bindings, SBTC, and Sacrifice play the main role in explaining JonBenet's death. e.g.

Psalm 118:27b Old Testament :-

Other aproaches have Patsy with multiple personalities, schitzophrenic, Bi-Polar etc.

I can see Patsy as schizophrenic with bipolar. Throw in personality disorder and the match is complete. IMO. Mental illness along with nurtured personality disorders make a complete mess of people. That I have seen and add to it physical ailments and there is no win situation. Unfortunately there are those who suffer along the way. The fact that so many victims are the result of these types of people and most of the time the family is in denial about the process. I have seen that to.

Just read Crimes in the News to get an inkling of all the cases where someone goes off on a relative. Whether it is a child,an elderly grandparent or even a mother. It happens every single day in America.

JMO8778 said:
I tend to think Patsy just lost it and had had it with JB,once and for all.
And as far as the Lazarus comment...I think she said it to make it look like she didn't really want JB dead..to save her own butt.Plus she was always into the dramatic performances,and I think that just went along nicely with what she needed at the time.(much like the Hollywood-ized RN).
I think about where and how JonBenet was when she was "found" and see an eerie similarity to Lazarus- the wine cellar/tomb, the white blanket/shroud. Is it remotely possible that Patsy thought or maybe even prayed that she could be raised from the dead even before she cried out "Jesus, you raised Lazarus from the dead! Please raise my baby!" I mean, there was an automatic acceptance from Patsy that she was dead instead of a denial of it, which I think would come first.

-Tea

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back