Sect to forbid underage marriage...

mykodiak

Reaction score
Could it be?? http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080602/ap_on_re_us/polygamist_retreat
Late Monday, elder Willie Jessop said the church won't allow underage girls to marry. Jessop said the new policy will forbid any girl to marry who is not of legal consent age in the state where she lives.
Can we believe them?

The article also states that there are many parents that may not return to the YFZ ranch.
It's not clear how many might return to the ranch right away. Many of the parents have purchased or rented homes in Amarillo, San Antonio and other places around the state.
Rod Parker, a spokesman for the FLDS church, said some of the attorneys have advised parents to stay away from the ranch for now, but most families want to return so the children can continue the education they were getting at the sect's schoolhouse before the raid.
So, Warren Jeff's little kingdom is unraveling. :rolleyes:

Which legal age of consent? The full 18 years old adult - OR - the 16 years old you can do with your parents consent and a legal recorded marriage? Very different things - especially if they don't go out and get that legal marriage license (which is important because letting the girl go out in public and publically say Yes or No somewhere not inside a compound - huge thing they have not had up until now).

I don't really believe them. Not while Jeffs or any of his cronies are in command.

They were pretty clear about the fact that they are allowed to lie to police if it is to protect their religion...

I don't believe them. Pedophiles don't want grown women. They've gotten by with all this for a long time, all they have to do is lie and groom the kids to lie until the state loses interest or the whole bunch of them move to another state.

Even at "age of consent" if that turns out to be 18, still leaves the young women without much "choice." "Marry X or lose your soul" isn't going to go away imo.

They'll just figure out a 'NEW WAY' to get away with it...like start getting many more birth certificates from the state then babies that are born with ficticious names & give them to the girls when they get married. Hope this is making sense......make all girls 3-5 yrs older then they actually are when they get married.

FLDS is lieing & will never change nothing!!!

Ah, now I see. The wording of his statement is key. They'll marry according to the law in whichever state they are in. Utah, it's age 14 according to Lisa Bloom's show in TruTv.
So they'll just continue what they want to do. Since the law in Texas says you can marry with parental consent earlier than 18 they'll just get the parents to sign off on the younger marriage.

I will beleive it when i see it, but I am NOT holding my breath on this one.

TruTv (formerly CTV) is carrying the Bateman trial, Bateman is an FLDS member who is on trial for sex/impregnanting an underage girl. The girl is older now and is absent from the courtroom, refusing to participate in court. However, there is a document trail which the prosecution is using in its case.

Edited to add: He was convicted and sentenced to 9 months in jail. Prior to sentencing the young woman was in court and read a plea to the court not to punish him.

I will beleive it when i see it, but I am NOT holding my breath on this one.

I've been trying to avoid this thread because I want to believe, I really do. But every time I come into the forum I see "Sect to forbid underage marriage" and I think But, but, but...... before they denied that underage marriages existed!!!

With CPS coming to the compound, it will be harder for them to get by with it- but not impossible.

Marriage with parental consent will only be allowed if they get a legal (county clerk issued) marriage license. I'm betting that the county clerks will be demanding ID's on anyone that signs the written declaration form and will double-check the birth certificate to make sure everything matches. I don't like the idea of some old man marrying a 16 year old, but that is much more palatable than a 12 year old. I'm wondering how much effort they're going to go through to locate a mother if she's been re-assigned over and over. I do see one loophole that our legislators might have to close soon. From Texas Family Code (bolding & underline mine):
Except as otherwise provided by this section, consent must be acknowledged before a county clerk. If the person giving parental consent resides in another state, the consent may be acknowledged before an officer authorized to issue marriage licenses in that state.
They'll just get some of their FLDS cronies in Hildale or Colorado City to sign off. But, if they lie on the consent form about their parental status this is also in the Family Code:
A person commits an offense if the person knowingly provides parental consent for an underage applicant under this section and the person is not a parent or a person who has the court-ordered right to consent to marriage for the applicant. An offense under this subsection is a Class A misdemeanor.

Jessop said the new policy will forbid any girl to marry who is not of legal consent age in the state where she lives.

I don't believe for a second, anything the FLDS leadership says.

But take a look at this statement. Why are they forbidding only the girls to marry under-age? Are the men not forbidden? They told these innocent children that they must marry these old men and It is the men who run the place, and the husbands and fathers rule all the women. So...what? If a man marries an under-age girl, is it the little girl who has broken the rules, not the man? How ridiculous is that?

These FLDS leaders are so screwed up they can't even tell a convincing lie. They tell these innocent children that they will burn in hell if they don't obey the men, then the men scheme together to come up with their perverted evil rituals in the name of God.

Totally disgusting.:sick:

Susan

You're right. I didn't think of it that way. :sick: :furious:

Good point TGI, I hadn't thought of it either.

I don't believe for a second, anything the FLDS leadership says.

But take a look at this statement. Why are they forbidding only the girls to marry under-age? Are the men not forbidden? They told these innocent children that they must marry these old men and It is the men who run the place, and the husbands and fathers rule all the women. So...what? If a man marries an under-age girl, is it the little girl who has broken the rules, not the man? How ridiculous is that?

These FLDS leaders are so screwed up they can't even tell a convincing lie. They tell these innocent children that they will burn in hell if they don't obey the men, then the men scheme together to come up with their perverted evil rituals in the name of God.

Totally disgusting.:sick:

Susan

You're right - but they're not "screwed up" - the men know EXACTLY what they're doing and they've found the perfect way to get away with it. Nothing will change. I fear it will be decades before another government entity has the ba**s to try to fix it again. :mad:

You're right - but they're not "screwed up" - the men know EXACTLY what they're doing and they've found the perfect way to get away with it. Nothing will change. I fear it will be decades before another government entity has the ba**s to try to fix it again. :mad:

And more generations of little girls will have to lay there while being raped and know that no one will protect them.
Any man can commit any crime he wants, and if he claims it's God's will, he's home free. Sure, he will burn in hell, but until then, how many women and children will suffer at his hands until they wish they were dead?

Our laws are in-adequate to protect these victims.

Susan

I LOVE how they are using that excuse for a "school" as an excuse to return to YFZ - because an 8th grade education consisting mostly of religious instruction, "testimony" farm work and caring for younger children and taught by other women with a similarly "enriching" 8th grade education is so superior to all other forms of education out here in the infidel world. That "school" is nothing but another form of indoctrination in the FLDS "way" - they aren't even permitted to read anything but the Bible and Religious texts "approved" or written by the leadership.

I really hope that a proper education with AT LEAST certified instructors checking up on them and their "education" is mandated. That "school" is a crock o' crappola - one of many similar "looks good the outside", is "ugly on the inside" scenes CREATED by the FLDS to sell wholesome, devout,"sweet" families abused and persecuted by the evil CPS Infidels.

Like the big white sparkling "pure" "Temple" the "School" at YFZ is 1890''s, "Little House On The Prairie" pretty and wholesome on the outside, but in reality it's just another method used to indoctrinate children into the belief system that considers women little better than brood mares in the barn and celebrates a man more than God. I am sure Warren Jeffs wrote most of the "material" taught at that school and that his tapes about "being sweet" and going to hell if you even LOOK at someone not "chosen" by him for you are played non-stop.

It isn't "School", it's community indoctrination - making the children a part of the whole "control" structure and teaching them to snitch, lie and "obey" their prophet without question.

Did the FLDS also "agree" to stop dumping their unwanted boys on the roadside? I am sure they said all those boys "ran away" - funny how all but a few "run away" every year...always before they turn 18. The BOYS are just as abused as the GIRLS - but by neglect and abandonment instead of underage marriage...and once again, nobody seems to care about THEM.

My Opinion

Maybe their school should be required to do the no child left behind testing that all the other schools in this country have to administer.

http://www.childbrides.org/news_sex_KSL_Poll_Utahns_dont_believe_FLDS_promise.html
"A new KSL poll reveals even more skepticism about their church's pledge to abolish underage marriage. Now, an old sermon by FLDS prophet Warren Jeffs may add fuel to that skepticism." "Almost half believe the FLDS will probably or definitely not follow the court orders. Only one-third believe they will. Almost three-fourths are skeptical of the promise to halt underage marriage, and only 2 percent believe the FLDS definitely will give it up."

"Years ago, Jeffs recorded a sermon about a similar promise by former FLDS leader John Y. Barlow. Barlow was released from prison after signing a pledge to give up plural marriage. But he broke the promise as soon as he was released. "He agreed with his enemies while they had a hold of him so he could get out of their hands. But he didn't obey them. He obeyed the Lord," Jeffs taught. Jeffs' old sermon justified Barlow's false promise with scripture and as dishonesty authorized by God. "But whatever the Lord commands is right, and the Lord told him to sign that paper," Jeffs said."

......It isn't "School", it's community indoctrination - making the children a part of the whole "control" structure and teaching them to snitch, lie and "obey" their prophet without question."

I know some folks who think the US public schools do the same thing - except in your statement above they would replace the word "prophet" with "government."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soababiotiling
Back