CANADA Canada - GARRY TAYLOR HANDLEN, child rapist/killer, 1970's

blueclouds

Former member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
PLEASE READ THIS THREAD IN IT'S ENTIRETY. The Mother of Kathryn-Mary (murder victim) not only lost her baby to abduction/murder but she has lost 2 other children.

On September 24, 1975 at approx 9:15 PM, Kathryn-Mary was walking home from a friends house about a mile from her home when she was abducted. The authorities believe she was killed that night or the very next day but her decomposed body was not found until November 17, 1975.

Kathryn-Mary's decompoded body was found on the grounds of an Indian reservation. The river was near by but not close enough to see. There was a burned out house on the actual grounds where she was found in the Matsqui area.

Kathryn-Mary was beaten to death, her head taking the most blows. The autopsy was not able to confirm whether she had been sexually assulted.

She was last seen wearing wine cords and a light mauve blouse (ruffled effect entire blouse)..

Suspect information:

The prime suspect in this case is a convicted rapist, both before and after. He is now free and has never been charged with the murder of Kathryn-Mary.

A year prior, Shari (Kathryn-Mary's mother) lost a son, Donnie, 9 due to accidental drowning.

If that's not enough pain to bear, Shari lost another son, William, 21 due to suicide. William's suicide was directly as a result of the unsolved crime of his sister Kathryn. It tormented him to such an extent in knowing the suspect was free out there, with no peace or justice for his sister.

Please send your prayers to Shari and pray for her children. I understand that she has other daughters alive today.

If anyone wants to share thoughts, prayers or whatever, Shari can be emailed at: Sharig@dowgo.com

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/childrenoftheheavens/heavensangelsdonnieherbert.html

THE ABOVE LINK IS A TRIBUTE TO SHARI'S CHILDREN. DONNIE'S PAGE IS FIRST, THEN CLICK "NEXT" AT THE BOTTOM TO GO TO HER OTHER CHILDREN.

Blueclouds, I will pray for this family. So sad when it seems and feels that all hope is gone. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Be assured justice will come. Always keep your feet planted in the Lord and pray for the protection and covering only the Father above can give.

I also pray you will be blessed ten fold for you care and concern.

Sheila

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Shari+belief+justice+bolstered/6276313/story.html

NEW.
"Shari Greer still prays daily for the arrest and conviction of the person responsible for her 11-year-old daughter's 1975 murder.

In early December 2011, shortly after what would have been Kathryn-Mary Herbert's 48th birthday, the Chilliwack mom feels her prayers were somewhat answered.

"I asked God to do something that would work," Greer said Thursday at RCMP headquarters in Vancouver.

"A week later, I received an anonymous donation for $10,000 for a reward in Kathryn-Mary's case."

Greer says she has no idea who dropped the reward off at her Chilliwack home - made out simply to the Kathryn-Mary Reward Fund.

"I was just in heaven, I could not believe that anybody had this kind of kindness in their heart," said the deeply religious woman, who has tragically buried three of her children"

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/news/Shari+belief+justice+bolstered/6276313/story.html#ixzz1ocsnqXae

http://www.cbc.ca/news/coldcase/cases/herbert.html
"Kathryn-Mary Herbert, age 11, had dinner at a friend's house on a school night and was on her way home when she was abducted on September 24, 1975, in Abbotsford, British Columbia. She was last seen at the intersection of Townline Road and Marshall Road around 9 p.m. Her body was found almost two months later on November 17, 1975 under some rotting boards from a collapsed outhouse on the Matsqui Indian Reserve north of Abbotsford. It is believed she was killed the night or early morning after she disappeared. Kathryn-Mary's mother Shari has always believed the case could be solved and together with David Ridgen, she undertakes some surprising investigation of her own.

» CBC Radio Documentary: Herbert » CBC TV Documentary: Herbert"

http://www2.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=f4b00f86-9be9-4d24-9a4c-e415690cfc8a
On Sept. 24, 1975, she had visited a friend and was walking home after 8 p.m. when she met another friend who let her "double-up" on his bicycle.

Kathryn-Mar y was dropped off within two kilometres of her Matsqui home.

Witnesses recall seeing a man in a white, American-made vehicle idling between the spot Kathryn-Mary jumped off the bicycle and her home.

Her body was found 55 days later a few kilometres away near a Mastqui First Nation cemetery by residents preparing a burial.

Police have had a number of suspects over the years - some still alive to this day.

The file has now been reviewed by various police agencies.

Shinkaruk says investigators have resubmitted exhibits over the years that may benefit from technological advances, such as DNA evidence.

He also says the passing of time sometimes helps.

"Some of the reasons, or some of the relationships people might have with the killer . . . that those relationships deteriorate to the fact that they either find some moral compass or the right reasons to come forward."

Two other cold-case murders from the same era and area have similar ear-markings as the Herbert case, said Shinkaruk.

Greer believes there is someone still out there who knows what happened to her daughter: a bright, musically gifted girl

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE3pkSjNCEo"]Angels 3 - Murdered children - YouTube[/ame]

A couple of interesting coincidences in Kathryn Mary's case that i've enountered while sleuthing on a POI in various Alberta cases:

Kathryn Mary was killed in 1975, just 5 months after 11 y.o. Karen Ewanciw of Alberta. Karen Ewanciw had a sister named Catherine Marie (approx 14 y.o. at the time of Karen's murder)

Kathryn is buried in Hazelwood Cemetery in Abbotsford. The Ewanciw surname (quite an uncommon surname) appears in that same cemetery.

Also in the Hazelwood Cemetery is an Olaf Olson (same name as Clifford Olson's grandfather who owned the family farm southeast of Edmonton but later moved to BC). Some Ewanciw relatives in Alberta had property in close proximity to Olson's grandfather in that same area southeast of Edmonton.

After I started sleuthing a certain poi (not Olson), I discovered that individual appears somehow related to the Ewanciw family, and i firmly believe the poi has connections to Olson's family (geographically and quite possibly through relatives)

As despicable as he was, Olson had family and friends at one time. Sadly, the creep probably took a lot of info to the grave with him.

http://www2.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=f4b00f86-9be9-4d24-9a4c-e415690cfc8a
On Sept. 24, 1975, she had visited a friend and was walking home after 8 p.m. when she met another friend who let her "double-up" on his bicycle.

Kathryn-Mar y was dropped off within two kilometres of her Matsqui home.

Witnesses recall seeing a man in a white, American-made vehicle idling between the spot Kathryn-Mary jumped off the bicycle and her home.

Her body was found 55 days later a few kilometres away near a Mastqui First Nation cemetery by residents preparing a burial.

Police have had a number of suspects over the years - some still alive to this day.

The file has now been reviewed by various police agencies.

Shinkaruk says investigators have resubmitted exhibits over the years that may benefit from technological advances, such as DNA evidence.

He also says the passing of time sometimes helps.

"Some of the reasons, or some of the relationships people might have with the killer . . . that those relationships deteriorate to the fact that they either find some moral compass or the right reasons to come forward."

Two other cold-case murders from the same era and area have similar ear-markings as the Herbert case, said Shinkaruk.

Greer believes there is someone still out there who knows what happened to her daughter: a bright, musically gifted girl

Can someone remind me of the guy that died in jail in the US who is suspected in some of the Highway of Tears cases? Didn't he have a white car? The timing might be off but just thought about him...

Can someone remind me of the guy that died in jail in the US who is suspected in some of the Highway of Tears cases? Didn't he have a white car? The timing might be off but just thought about him...

Answering myself lol... It was Bobby Jack Fowler, the timing could fit actually - he was in BC in the mid 70s. Although Kathryn-Mary was not strangled, so perhaps not. This case has always haunted me.

http://globalnews.ca/news/544711/he...o-but-to-this-mother-it-seems-like-yesterday/

Her speech is peppered with four letter words, and she is not afraid to give you a piece of her mind. Shari Greer is a mother on a mission for the truth.

“I know out there is somebody who knows,” says Greer. “I’ll keep pushing until it comes.”

Once a self-described wallflower, everything changed for Greer 37 years ago on September 24, 1975. That day, her daughter, Kathryn-Mary Herbert, didn’t come home from a friend’s house after school.

Wonder if this arrest for the alleged murder of the B.C. girls, is just the tip of the iceberg?!
rbbm.

"Mounties say suspect Garry Taylor Handlen, 67, was arrested in Surrey and charged with two counts of first-degree murder after information was shared between the two cold case investigations.

Police are not releasing any more information at Handlen at this time, other than to say he has a criminal record and had recently been living in Ontario. "

http://www.theprovince.com/charged+deaths+girls+nearly+years+later/10430792/story.html

UPDATED..
rbbm.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...arged-in-2-child-slaying-cold-cases-1.2856285

"RCMP today said Handlen was suspected in the killings shortly after they happened, but police didn't have enough evidence to charge him until now. Investigators wouldn't specify what the new evidence is, but did say advances in forensic science are a factor".
"Police also released a photograph of the suspect, taken around the time of the killings. They're asking anyone who recognizes Handlen to call if they have any memories of him from that time."

This is FANTASTIC news! I can't even express how I feel right now. This could be really big!

Apparently he is an Ontarian and has traveled around, this link includes better pic of suspect, LE are hoping someone might recognize him from that time!

Also, some moving comments from the Mothers of these two little girls..

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/me...urdering+girls+over+years/10431298/story.html

"Abbotsford officers continued to work on the case over the years even after the B.C. Unsolved Homicide Unit took it over in October 2005, Deputy Chief Rick Lucy said Monday.

Lucy said Herbert's murder "was heinous and horrific. It devastated a family and deeply impacted a community."

"The journey to arrive at this point, however, was not just the product of a continued effort by police; it was also the result of the tenacity, persistence and love demonstrated by her mother," Lucy said.

Police would not comment on what the break was in the case that led them to Handlen.

In the mid-70s, he was living on the Lower Mainland and travelled around, police said.

They said he is known to police and has a criminal record, but wouldn't say if he's a suspect in other murders.

They are asking anyone with information about his movements in the mid-to-late 1970s to call their tipline at 1-877-543-4822".

It's been such a long time coming. I know there can never be closure for these very courageous Moms, but I truly hope it gives them a little peace to know there will be a measure of justice for the terrible loss of their sweet girls.

Rest in Peace Monica Jack and Kathryn Mary Hebert ... you were never forgotten and are loved as much today as days gone by.

Sooo...he would have been say between 28-31yrs when he committed the crimes in B.C? I wonder when he was residing in Ontario.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back