why didnt the polar bear eat the husky?

Thanks for posting this. With all of the crime, and hate we have so many topics on, makes you want to say again, "Why can't we just all get along".

Whenever we goto the zoo the polar bears are my fav.I just love them.I also love huskies.They are beautiful dogs.

That is so sweet to see and I am so glad the polar bear was in the mood to play instead of eat hehehe

Those were very sweet pictures.Thanks for posting this!

Magic. purest magic. thank you. :blowkiss:

Here's the snopes.com article on it, with another picture and comments:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/polardog.asp

That bear clearly wasn't hungry, I'm guessing, as polar bears are usually ruthless killers that will actually hunt and kill even humans for food, which even grizzly's are unlikely to do. But this is very cute! :)

This story made my day a lot brighter

I don't know if this is the same story or not from a number of years ago. But, if not the story is very similar. A dog will attempt to play by play bowing if he feels threatened and knows not what else to do. He is saying, "play with me, don't hurt me". He tries to do all he can to initiate play from an animal or human who he feels afraid of. Some of my clients have seen this behavior in their dogs and have mistook it for disobedience.

The scenario often goes like this. The dog won't come when called and the person becomes frustrated/angry. The dog anticipates being punished, senses the anger, feels afraid and tries to initiate play from the one he feels threatened by to avoid being hurt. Then the dog darts all over the place playing tag and doing the play bow. This of course frustrates the owner even more.

The bear was apparently not hungry or his instinct to grab an easy meal may have won out. But, instead the dog's behavior brought out play behavior in the bear. After that I imagine that the bear looked at the dogs more as peers and potential playmates than as prey or as enemies.
What a fascinating story! I am glad that the dogs didn't meet their fate with that beautiful bear, too!

The most amazing picture was when the polar bear had it's arm around the husky and the husky was reaching up and licking it's face! I showed my husband and he couldn't believe it!

About 10 years ago, my husband and I traveled to Churchill, Manitoba, on an eco-tourism trip to see polar bears in the wild. The bears congregate around Churchill, on the shore of Hudson Bay, to wait for the ice to freeze up before they journey up North and out onto the polar ice cap to hunt seals all winter long.

There is a business man in Churchill who breeds sled dogs and he keeps them tethered outdoors, year round, when they are not working. My husband and I actually went by the area where these dogs are tethered and saw this bear roaming around the area. (We were safe and sitting in a large bus-like vehicle.) One dog in particular (the last one on the line) was befriended by the polar bear who came to visit the dog every year.

I believe these are photos of that dog and bear! The owner would leave food out for the bear and the dogs and these two became quite friendly. The bear would return for a few weeks every year to visit his friend the huskie!!

About 10 years ago, my husband and I traveled to Churchill, Manitoba, on an eco-tourism trip to see polar bears in the wild. The bears congregate around Churchill, on the shore of Hudson Bay, to wait for the ice to freeze up before they journey up North and out onto the polar ice cap to hunt seals all winter long.

There is a business man in Churchill who breeds sled dogs and he keeps them tethered outdoors, year round, when they are not working. My husband and I actually went by the area where these dogs are tethered and saw this bear roaming around the area. (We were safe and sitting in a large bus-like vehicle.) One dog in particular (the last one on the line) was befriended by the polar bear who came to visit the dog every year.

I believe these are photos of that dog and bear! The owner would leave food out for the bear and the dogs and these two became quite friendly. The bear would return for a few weeks every year to visit his friend the huskie!!

Cool! That is such great news!

Makes ya wish the rest of the world would take a hint and just get along with each other.

This made it through my email chain a while ago, and I still smile when I see the pics.

Here's the snopes.com article on it, with another picture and comments:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/polardog.asp

That bear clearly wasn't hungry, I'm guessing, as polar bears are usually ruthless killers that will actually hunt and kill even humans for food, which even grizzly's are unlikely to do. But this is very cute! :)
Gorgeous pics!!! My first instinct was to check snopes too! ha!

The photographer hit paydirt with those pics. Amazing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74
Back