Validictorian to be deported

imthemom

Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,361861,00.html

FRESNO, Calif. — The valedictorian at Fresno's Bullard High School won't be attending college in the United States this fall because he's scheduled to be deported.
Arthur Mkoyan's 4.0 grade-point average qualified him to enter one of the state's top universities. But the 17-year-old and his mother have been ordered back to Armenia after their last appeal for asylum failed.
The family fled from what used to be part of the Soviet Union and has been seeking asylum since 1992.

I wish the Dream Act would have made in through in time for this boy. My husband would have qualified under the Dream Act also if it would not have stalled in congress.

I was shocked about it. I remember when it first came out in the news that it was going to happen. There are many, many intelligent children all over the world. Unfortunately, we can't take them all in. There are terrific schools in England. Maybe he'll be lucky enough to get into one of them.

This is being discussed on our local radio station http://www.kmj580.com/kmjpodcasts.html?pollId=45. Yesterday there was a program on this problem with the mother being interviewed. You can listen to it by clicking on the top podcast.

These people came her with visas and currently hold work permits that don't expire until March 2009.

He's had a wonderful benefit many other equally smart children from his home country don't get - that's something to be grateful for, and take it home, hopefully make changes in whatever small or large way he can.

He's had a wonderful benefit many other equally smart children from his home country don't get - that's something to be grateful for, and take it home, hopefully make changes in whatever small or large way he can.

Well yes, but first of all neither he nor his family came here illegally. He was only 2 when he arrived, and does not speak a word of Armenian. He is for all practical purposes an American. Because he is an exceptional student, his contribution to America will be greater than 99% of today's graduates, regardless of nationality and native country.

Since we, our government, doesn't even deport illegal immigrants even after they are arrested for crimes, it seems unfair that a law-abiding family who has never taken a dime of welfare or public assistance of any sort should be deported on a stupid technicality.

If his mother is working and not on welfare, I say let them stay. This boy has obviously done everything right. I believe that he should be allowed to stay in this country.

If his mother is working and not on welfare, I say let them stay. This boy has obviously done everything right. I believe that he should be allowed to stay in this country.
I agree 100%!!!:clap::clap::clap:

Well yes, but first of all neither he nor his family came here illegally. He was only 2 when he arrived, and does not speak a word of Armenian. He is for all practical purposes an American. Because he is an exceptional student, his contribution to America will be greater than 99% of today's graduates, regardless of nationality and native country.

Since we, our government, doesn't even deport illegal immigrants even after they are arrested for crimes, it seems unfair that a law-abiding family who has never taken a dime of welfare or public assistance of any sort should be deported on a stupid technicality.
So very well said Pepper!
:clap::clap::woohoo:

Unfortunately, like so many other situations, the honest ones don't get what they should because the dishonest ones ruin it for them. Something tells me this kid will do great no matter where he ends up and I wish him huge success and happiness in his lifetime. Who knows, maybe some day he'll end up back here and do great things for America! If not, I'm sure he'll do something great for his own country!

Unfortunately, like so many other situations, the honest ones don't get what they should because the dishonest ones ruin it for them. Something tells me this kid will do great no matter where he ends up and I wish him huge success and happiness in his lifetime. Who knows, maybe some day he'll end up back here and do great things for America! If not, I'm sure he'll do something great for his own country!

I agree. I hope that he can go to a free country with many opportunities. If he is deported, his formative years were spent in a good country that afforded him a great experience and educational opportunity.

Oooh that just tears me up! Here you got a young man who would be such a wonderful addition to society. He is not a burden on this country he can add to it yet HE has to leave?! If he was collecting welfare benefits and popping out 5-6 babies, didn't speak a lick of english I guarantee they wouldn't even of bothered with him...makes no kind of sense.

Oooh that just tears me up! Here you got a young man who would be such a wonderful addition to society. He is not a burden on this country he can add to it yet HE has to leave?! If he was collecting welfare benefits and popping out 5-6 babies, didn't speak a lick of english I guarantee they wouldn't even of bothered with him...makes no kind of sense.

Oh Sadie....you are sadly correct. :( Sometimes, this government doesn't make sense. I am sadden by this story.

He does have the possibilities to do great things here... and he could prove to go great things there... but thing is: he is being deported back to a place he knows little about, and doesn't know the language or culture. That, in and of itself could be extremely hard on him and mess with his future, big time. To me, that is highly unfair for a young man like him that has worked so hard to find his way in this country... and all done in the legal aspect.

He does have the possibilities to do great things here... and he could prove to go great things there... but thing is: he is being deported back to a place he knows little about, and doesn't know the language or culture. That, in and of itself could be extremely hard on him and mess with his future, big time. To me, that is highly unfair for a young man like him that has worked so hard to find his way in this country... and all done in the legal aspect.

Yes, but assuming that those obstacles are overwhelming isn't showing him much confidence. I think he'll be the better for getting to know his own country and may eventually end up doing great things for both!!!

Yes, but assuming that those obstacles are overwhelming isn't showing him much confidence. I think he'll be the better for getting to know his own country and may eventually end up doing great things for both!!!
That may be true, but I still think it is wrong to deport him. We have bigger fish that should be on their way out.:mad:

That may be true, but I still think it is wrong to deport him. We have bigger fish that should be on their way out.:mad:

I think they should all be on their way out. We have children in this country who need things too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back