Facility Trying to Evict 99 Year Old Woman

SewingDeb

"Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
Reaction score
SUMNER, Wash. -- A 99-year-old woman whose health is declining is being threatened with eviction from the assisted living facility where she has lived for the last decade because she switched from Medicare to Medicaid, reported KIRO 7 Eyewitness News.

According to a news release from Washington State Long-Term Care Ombudsman Louise Ryan, Cordelia Robertson received an eviction notice from Assisted Living Concepts Inc., or ALC, two days after her 99th birthday.

ALC owns Franklin House Assisted Living Facility in Sumner where Robertson has lived for 10 years.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/16481146/detail.html

How ignorant can people be!!!!

Those type of places are not about the people who live there , it's all about the money!!!! What a shame

Sad and scary. I wonder if she has any loved ones who can help and protect her.

You're so right. Who talked her into switching from medicare to medicaid and did the elderly woman know when she switched to medicaid it would affect her living status? Someone wasn't protecting her.

This is not an unusual practice. As Nappy2 said, it all about the money with many assisted living facilities.

I work in home health care and have worked with hospice clients in such facilities and they (the facilities) do not want those people there at all.

I have actually heard staff tell these dying people such things as, "You had better take your medicine....this NOT a nursing home!"

Pitiful indeed!

Best wishes all,

Mickie

Good gosh how sad!
Too bad much of the US doesn't respect the elderly like many European countries do.

The headline sounds like they're about to toss her to the curb...not so. And, she does have family, actively so, near her.

I know next to nothing about Medicare/Medicaid, but I wonder why she (or her reps) made the change and if it could be reversed (probably not, since the family claims fighting over this issue for a year already).

Sounds dreadful but we need more info than the article provides, imo.

Well the facility IS in the business of making money, I suppose. But it sounds so dang cruel!!

Unreal - the woman has lived there for a decade. Leave her alone!!

Sounds to me like, for the past 10 years, this woman has paid her share of living expenses through Medicare. Now, she is broke. And qualifies for Medicaid. A social worker at the facility would have known which insurance they except and which they don't. I wonder if she had anyone helping her.

My own Mom is in a Nursing Home cause she has Dementia. When she first went there, she was on Humana Medicare. My Dad sought advice from an Elderly Affairs Attorney who helped them keep both of their houses {one being retirement income from a rental} and qualify my Mom for Medicaid. IIRC, as long as my Mom doesn't have more than $1,999 in the bank at any given time, she still qualifies.

She was never moved to a different location because of the insurance change.

It depends on the state. I know in NY it is illegal to kick you out once you make the switch. We specifically moved my grandmother before she ran out of money to the place she wanted to live so she'd have her choice. If we waited until she was on Medicaid (even if it was a tiny bit soon for her taste) then they would get to decide where she went and they could decline to accept her if they had too many Medicaid patients at a time.

But once she's in, she's in. I can't imagine that's not the law in most states unless that facility doesn't accept Medicaid at all. So sad...managing both grandmothers' situations is like a part-time job for my parents. It is the trade off for being blessed with them in our lives for so long (they are 92 and 94).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
galesr
Back