Minneapolis Food Program

Hmmm... I think it's a nice idea - but I can't see how they can afford this for long...

I think its a bad idea. If you hand people things, sometimes they have no reason to get up and do for themselves. If a family needs some financial assistance to buy food, I'm all for it, but only temporarily.

I think its a bad idea. If you hand people things, sometimes they have no reason to get up and do for themselves. If a family needs some financial assistance to buy food, I'm all for it, but only temporarily.

I see your point... and I agree...
Also, I guess am not too sure why the schools are getting invovled in the feeding of parents... There are pletny of food pantries and such for families in the MPLS area...

While I think its smart in lower income areas for schools to bring the parents in and get involved with them for the child's sake, via adult education classes, nutrition classes, language classes, etc., just handing out food so they can spend time together?????? Not so much.

When I taught school my district did this program for the disadvantaged school in our area. I used to teach summer school when this program was done. It was nice and we didn't have any problems. I think they did it for about 10 years. Now the school is closed down and our district doesn't do it anymore. At least the kids didn't go hungry in the summer. I have a soft spot for the kids. They can't help that most of their parents sell their food stamps and are on drugs and are welfare abuse system participants. I also know that when they grow up with everything handed to them...they grow used to the free handouts and begin to expect them like their parents did. It is a nasty cycle and I surely don't know how to fix it. However, when they are in elementary and hungry, it is hard not to love them and want to feel their little faces. :( I loved them all. :bang:

I don't know...I think it's unfair to assume that we know everything about the people that would need this program. I got free lunch in elementary school because my dad was in the navy and my mom was in college. Then again in high school because my mom had cancer. Do my parents and I still expect to have everything just handed to us? Of course not! Being able to go to college has enabled my mom to be a very successful person who gives back a ton to people who are less fortunate than she is. I don't have as much money as they do but we donate when we can because we know what it's like to have been there and we want to show our appreciation and pay it forward.

I don't know...I think it's unfair to assume that we know everything about the people that would need this program. I got free lunch in elementary school because my dad was in the navy and my mom was in college. Then again in high school because my mom had cancer. Do my parents and I still expect to have everything just handed to us? Of course not! Being able to go to college has enabled my mom to be a very successful person who gives back a ton to people who are less fortunate than she is. I don't have as much money as they do but we donate when we can because we know what it's like to have been there and we want to show our appreciation and pay it forward.

Looneymama, you didn't get a free lunch. Your father paid for it with his service to our country - and we appreciate it and you!!!!!!

How nice! Minneapolis is such a progressive city and this story is really touching. Thanks Trino.

Read my post again.. I said *most*.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back