Light Plane Crash Kills 6 in Ohio

englishleigh

Authentic Southern Belle
Reaction score
This just really got to me so I had to post it....an 86-yo WWII fighter pilot was giving airplane rides this morning after a Lions Club event...some people apparently took him up on his offer and the plane crashed, killing all aboard, including a 4 yo girl.
:(

Light Plane Crash Kills 6 in Ohio

Sunday, June 08, 2008
Print
Share:

FREMONT, Ohio — A small plane crashed Sunday afternoon in a residential area and killed all six people aboard, including the pilot, a former state lawmaker who had offered joyrides to airport visitors after a charity breakfast.

Gene Damschroder Sr., 86, was flying the fixed-wing, single-engine Cessna when it crashed about 1 p.m., the Ohio State Highway Patrol said. His five passengers also died in the crash in Sandusky County.

"It was just kind of an accident. He was giving airplane rides. He always gives charity air rides," said Gene Damschroder's son, Rex Damschroder, who was not at the airport when the plane crashed.

"Someone said they heard the engine sputter," he said. "The next thing we knew they were down in a field in a residential area."

No one on the ground was injured, and no buildings were damaged, patrol Lt. Tony Bradshaw said. It was too early to tell what caused the crash. The National Weather Service said there was no severe weather in the area at the time.

The Lions Club of Fremont on Sunday held a fly-in breakfast, inviting nearby pilots to fly to Fremont Airport and display their planes.

After the event, Damschroder offered visitors a chance to go up in planes for the cost of fuel, according to a poster at the airport. The joyrides were not related to the Lions Club event.

Authorities could not confirm that those on board had taken Damschroder up on his offer. Also killed were Bill Ansted, 62; Allison Ansted, 23; Danielle Gerwin, 31; Emily Gerwin, 4; and Matt Clearman, 25.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,364382,00.html

This is a real shame .... They were just to have a good time and it ended this way

Oh how sad! You just never know what a day may hold.

I was out and about in a single engine Cessna yesterday and I will once again go kiss the ground I walk on........and then go do it again this weekend.

Wow. For some reason, I'm in tears about this. All this tragedy in the world.

Same here, that's why I posted it. Small plane crashes are all too common but this one really got to me. Looked like a father and daughter, a mother and her little girl, and one young man on the brink of life....all going up for what they thought would be a fun joyride, a few minutes' flight...and a veteran pilot at the helm who had fought in WW II. Just terribly, terribly sad.

Are you a pilot? Me too!

I can't tell from the pictures what it was - single piston engine with 6 people in it would have to be a 206/207 and it looks like there was a fire afterward.

You are?! One more thing to admire aboutcha! I'm not - yet.....but my Sweetie is and I go where he goes and vice-versa. :Banane15:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unimog
Back