1334 users online (235 members and 1099 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    melbourne, australia
    Posts
    508

    Toad survives 40 minutes in dog's stomach!!

    Eeek..cane toad pie lol..

    Poor Bella having one of those big toads crawling around inside his belly. Cane toads are indestructible.. unless run over by a car.

    http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/200...42_ntnews.html
    A CANE toad has survived after being eaten by a dog and spending 40 minutes in the animal's stomach.

    The super toad was eventually vomited up by the dog and hopped away shaken but seemingly unharmed. The dog also lived to bark another day -- proving she's as tough as her owner, Darwin rugby league star Jackson Crews.
    Bella was playing in her backyard in Bakewell, Palmerston, when she swallowed the toad.
    "I went to feed the dogs some left over pies and pasties,'' Mr Crews said.
    "I threw them on the grass and as I did I noticed a cane toad. Bella saw it and thought it was one of the pies.
    "She swallowed it whole.''
    He immediately called the Ark Animal Hospital and was told to bring in the dog straight away.
    "They gave her a needle to help her vomit,'' he said.
    "She vomited a lot of pies and pasties but nothing else came up. Then they gave her another needle and she spewed up the cane toad.''
    Mr Crews, 27, said he couldn't believe both dog and toad survived the episode.
    The toad is being kept at the animal hospital where staff have named it Spew.
    Scientists believe hundreds of Territory dogs and cats have fallen victim to the cane toad's deadly toxins. The toads release a poison when under stress and can kill a large dog within minutes.
    Mr Crews said it was probably Bella's greedy nature that had saved her life.
    "She swallowed it whole -- that's probably why she survived,'' Mr Crews said.
    There have also been reports of dogs getting "high'' after licking the backs of cane toads. But Mr Crews said Bella had shown no signs of unusual behaviour since her encounter with the toxic toad.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    433
    Now that is bizarre and very lucky for the dog.

    I hope he doesn't develop any side effects.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    399
    It's amazing what a dog will do! like eatting a toad or it's own crap
    Joann thank you for showing me all the beautiful things in this world especially yourself!!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,330
    My dog has tried to eat frogs and she foams at the mouth. It scared me to death the first time I saw it. I guess the release some kind of nasty stuff that make the dog foam. I've never heard of a cane toad. Good thing for us.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,906
    Quote Originally Posted by miss_vegemite View Post
    Eeek..cane toad pie lol..

    Poor Bella having one of those big toads crawling around inside his belly. Cane toads are indestructible.. unless run over by a car.

    http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/200...42_ntnews.html
    A CANE toad has survived after being eaten by a dog and spending 40 minutes in the animal's stomach.

    The super toad was eventually vomited up by the dog and hopped away shaken but seemingly unharmed. The dog also lived to bark another day -- proving she's as tough as her owner, Darwin rugby league star Jackson Crews.
    Bella was playing in her backyard in Bakewell, Palmerston, when she swallowed the toad.
    "I went to feed the dogs some left over pies and pasties,'' Mr Crews said.
    "I threw them on the grass and as I did I noticed a cane toad. Bella saw it and thought it was one of the pies.
    "She swallowed it whole.''
    He immediately called the Ark Animal Hospital and was told to bring in the dog straight away.
    "They gave her a needle to help her vomit,'' he said.
    "She vomited a lot of pies and pasties but nothing else came up. Then they gave her another needle and she spewed up the cane toad.''
    Mr Crews, 27, said he couldn't believe both dog and toad survived the episode.
    The toad is being kept at the animal hospital where staff have named it Spew.
    Scientists believe hundreds of Territory dogs and cats have fallen victim to the cane toad's deadly toxins. The toads release a poison when under stress and can kill a large dog within minutes.
    Mr Crews said it was probably Bella's greedy nature that had saved her life.
    "She swallowed it whole -- that's probably why she survived,'' Mr Crews said.
    There have also been reports of dogs getting "high'' after licking the backs of cane toads. But Mr Crews said Bella had shown no signs of unusual behaviour since her encounter with the toxic toad.

    Okay WTH is "pasties"??? I am picturing this woman feeding her dog pies and little nipple coverings with tassels

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In the holla
    Posts
    2,065
    That is SO something one of my boys would do! They're both such big piggys they never stop to chew!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lake Charles, Louisiana
    Posts
    1,097
    LOL am I the only one who feels sorry for the frog?? ahah

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,338
    Boy, is that weird! Lucky dog, those cane frogs are bad news!

    That dog sounds like my golden~ I don't think she chews anything just swallows it whole. Probably why the frog survived.
    ~ Friends are kisses blown to us by angels. ~

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In the holla
    Posts
    2,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Blondieskatz View Post
    Boy, is that weird! Lucky dog, those cane frogs are bad news!

    That dog sounds like my golden~ I don't think she chews anything just swallows it whole. Probably why the frog survived.
    And the dog too! Those cane frogs are lethal.

    We ran into a little green frog a while back when walking the dogs after a rain. It was absolutely hysterical. My Rottie walked up to it and sniffed and the look on his face when it hopped away was totally priceless.

  10. #10
    Hopeful One's Avatar
    Hopeful One is offline Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Nerd Town Central
    Posts
    12,231
    I'm glad the dog survived but that is so disgusting!!!

    Justice for Travis


    Sometimes the first step towards forgiveness is understanding that the other person is a complete idiot.


  11. #11
    Can you even imagine the gas that dog had afterwards?!?! Ewwwww!

    LOL Pasties. It did say that!
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

    A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.



    What I post are my opinions only.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    melbourne, australia
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post
    Okay WTH is "pasties"??? I am picturing this woman feeding her dog pies and little nipple coverings with tassels
    LOL, a pastie (pronounced parsty, her is Aus) is a baked savoury pastry case filled with diced meat, potato and onion. Sometimes called the Cornish Pastie. They are really yummy.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    13,720
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaBrown23 View Post
    LOL am I the only one who feels sorry for the frog?? ahah
    I think you might be Amanda....the only thing they are good for is golf practice....Im just pleased that the pooch is ok as these things are deadly to pets.....check out how big these things can grow.....they are also an introduced species and not native to Austalia.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    melbourne, australia
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by dingo View Post
    I think you might be Amanda....the only thing they are good for is golf practice....Im just pleased that the pooch is ok as these things are deadly to pets.....check out how big these things can grow.....they are also an introduced species and not native to Austalia.
    Yep, that's a big one dingo lol.. You know, I remember my Dad swerving the car on holidays in Queensland to get them hehe. Made a popping noise

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    13,720
    Youre up there with them MV and I could handle that....I hate frogs in any shape or form and they are my biggest nightmare....when they start moving down into my territory Ill keep moving.....even if I end up in Tassie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Dog Sized toad Found in Australia
    By Gozgals in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-28-2007, 01:25 AM
  2. It's toad time
    By mysteriew in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-23-2005, 08:59 PM