Advertising On Websleuths

Tricia

Manager Websleuths.com
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Dear Websleuths Family,

Yes, the time has come I am afraid. I must attempt to accept advertising on WS.

Now, DO NOT PANIC. Here is a breakdown of how we will go about it.

VBULLETIN SOFTWARE

Fortunately, vBulletin software makes any advertising we accept very unintrusive. When I can I will post some screen shots of advertising on other sites.

To give you an example, take a look in the upper right hand corner of your page. You will see your name, how many private messages and such. Right under all of that there will be a space for a small advertisement that you could chose to click on.

Also, at the top of each forum, under the title, there will be a space for an advertisement you can chose to click on.

There are many other places on the site as well but hopefully this will give you a good visual as to where the ads could be placed.

TYPES OF ADVERTISEMENTS

You have my word that there will be nothing in a sexual manner nor will there be anything considered obnoxious in any way.

The actual advertisements WILL NOT be like on other free sites where they are everywhere and it takes a long time to load because of all the advertising. Any advertising on WS must be unintrusive and not a bit annoying in any way.

There will be no "FLASHING" advertisements.

NO POP UPS

If for some reason we cannot set up the advertising in a classy manner than it will not be done. I'll figure something else out.

TYPES OF ADVERTISING CLIENTS

I am guessing we will have clients like Internet Universities that specialize in justice degrees. Perhaps People Search type advertisements. Think anything connected to law enforcement and true crime.

All clients and actual ads must be approved by the Websleuths Mods and Admins.

WHY I WILL NOT ACCEPT DONATIONS OR CHARGE FOR MEMBERSHIP

I have always promised you on WS and on Forums For Justice that I would NEVER charge for anyone to be a member. There are so many great people out in the world who have so much to offer but they have no money. Some of these people might be considered forgotten by society. Not by us though. Everyone has something to offer. Whether you are a chief of police or someone who can't leave their home because of illness. We welcome everyone who wants to participate (and follow the rules) and we appreciate everyone who does join in the discussion.

I will not accept donations for several reasons. The main one being what if someone gave me 500 dollars then violated TOS in a big way. Yes, I could ban them and would not hesitate to do so but think of the problems that would arise if someone who donated money and thought they were unfairly banned. Legal complaints could arise. It is just not worth it.

Also, I don't want anyone to feel obligated to donate.

Finally, I don't want to have to ask you for money every month.

WHY AM I CHOSING TO ADVERTISE NOW

Simply put economics. I am just finishing up a divorce. My disposable income has dropped substantially. My ex is a plumbing contractor. I have been trying to look for work. So far, I can only find part time work.

I did get a small allowance from a family trust for a bit but because of many issues that situation has changed.

IF WE CAN'T GET ADVERTISING WILL WEBSLEUTHS SHUT DOWN?

No. Again, you have my word. WS will not shut down. I will figure something out. Right now, I need to make enough money to pay the server bill and other bills that are directly associated with my work on the forums.

YOU WORRIES AND CONCERNS

Please understand I fully understand your concerns about advertising on WS. You are worried that it will change the feel and the look of the forum. Well, it might change the look slightly but it will not change the feel. I am very sensitive to keeping Websleuths just like it is with only a handful of unintrusive advertisements to help out.

I would like as many of you as you can to weigh in. I am open to suggestions and ideas.

Again, thank you for all your hard work and participation. Without all of you Websleuths would be nothing.

Love,
Tricia

Hey Tricia,

take a look at Amazon Associates

Launched in 1996, Associates is Amazon.com's affiliate marketing program. By linking to Amazon products and services you can add compelling content for your site visitors enjoyment and receive up to 10% in referral fees for doing so.

Could you ask your web host (The Planet) if they want a small ad on websleuths?

Universtiy of Phoenix online seem to do a lot of advertising on the web but I'm not sure who you'd contact about it.

Bless you, Tricia, in all that you do.

I would put up with advertising to keep WS up and running!

Look at you answering all the questions before they are even asked! You are one smart cookie!!

:blowkiss:

Hey Tricia. Totally understand having to do this. Maybe you could get some 'sponsers' who sell jr detective kits. ;)

Oh and I love the new banana smilies, but dang it all I think we I see them is.....it's peanut butter jelly time, it's peanut butter jelly time....and I get that stupid song stuck in my head the rest of the day. :Banane01:

Tricia, I really don't have any suggestions but just wanted to let you know that I support your decision to accept advertisements. I can't thank you enough for my online home and the rockin' way you run this place and the fabulous mods who keep us in line.

:blowkiss:

Hey Tricia. I think that we all trust you because it seems that WS is like a child that you love. :) I'm sorry to hear that you are going through a divorce and having a tough time with finances and a job. Prayers that everything works out for you! :blowkiss:

Well done, Tricia, for providing us with Websleuths. i fully support discrete advertising to keep the place up and running.

thank you.

Best wishes, total support, and full appreciation. :)

Hi Tricia,

I too just offer my support. I think blaize had some great suggestions.

Just do what you gotta do, Tricia. Remember we're all thankful and appreciative to you! We all know that "Mother knows best!" :blowkiss:

I think the type of advertising you will choose to accept will be just fine. I very much appreciate that you make this site available to us. It has integrity, and I'm sure you'll continue that. The camaraderie and crime-solving add so much to my life, I thank you deeply.

I have complete confidence in you.

(((Tricia)))

I have complete confidence and trust in your decisions. I am not concerned at all about this decision. I know you will handle it with the same good judgement and grace that you always use.

PLEASE do what you believe is best, but avoid the scary parts of town and the quarters. The one thing that I DO NOT want to read about is a "crimes in the news" link featuring you.

Hugs to you. :blowkiss:

Thanks for all that you do Tricia. I support whatever you decide. :)

I still don't have a problem with just donating some $$$ - of course, I would expect that I would never get a time out or get banned, but other than that....

Advertising wouldn't bother me one bit. You're great, Tricia!!! Thank you for everything!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back