961 users online (211 members and 750 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SC - Child shoots self with grandmother's gun

riding in shopping cart at Sam's Club, 4 year old child grabbed gun from grandmother's purse.
    "COLUMBIA, S.C. A 4-year-old girl shot herself in the chest Monday after snatching her grandmother's handgun from the woman's purse while riding in a shopping cart at a Sam's Club store, authorities said.
    A witness, Lueen Homewood, said store workers grabbed first-aid materials off store shelves to help the grandmother as she cradled the wounded child near the store's pharmacy, The (Columbia) State newspaper reported on its Web site.
    Monday afternoon after surgery, said police department spokesman Brick Lewis. Hospital officials would not release her condition after the operation.
    Lewis said the grandmother, Donna Hutto Williamson, has a permit to carry a concealed weapon and the purse containing the small-caliber handgun was in the cart near the child. The 47-year-old Williamson, of Salley, was not immediately charged with a crime.
    Williamson, a South Carolina magistrate, was distraught after the shooting, her mother-in-law said.
    "The grandmother is just beating herself up," said Inease Williamson, 68. "She is just so upset. Everyone is upset."
    Officials said the shooting, which was captured on store surveillance cameras, appeared to be accidental. Lewis said police would not release the video.
    The store was closed while police investigated the shooting. It reopened Monday afternoon.
    Mart and Sam's Club, said in a statement. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the little girl and her family."
    Concealed weapons permit holders in South Carolina are not allowed to carry weapons into buildings that prohibit it, or into government buildings, schools and daycare facilities, among other places.
    The Sam's Club store does not have a sign prohibiting guns inside."
    http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news/stories/2008/06/09/grandmother_child_shot.html?imw=Y

God poor baby. It just goes to show how super careful people need to be with firearms around children because the little ones are unpredictable & think everything is a toy.

I'm sure the grandmother is already going through hell over this but I wonder will she eventually face charges?

That woman shouldn't have had her purse anywhere near that child. I understand she had a concealed cary permit and is a magistrate but she should have kept her purse far away from the little girl and had a lock on the gun. I just pray the baby will recover fully, and that Grandma will, too. Sounds like they were very, very blessed.

curiositycat is offline The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience
    Strange. Usually when a child grabs a gun the first response is to point it at someone else. Really strange...hope they investigate this a bit further.
    "Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect" Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by englishleigh View Post
    That woman shouldn't have had her purse anywhere near that child. I understand she had a concealed cary permit and is a magistrate but she should have kept her purse far away from the little girl and had a lock on the gun. I just pray the baby will recover fully, and that Grandma will, too. Sounds like they were very, very blessed.
    I agree 100%. Fortunately the little girl is likely to have a full recovery.

Hopeful One is offline Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light
    While I respect the right to own and carry a gun, I actually hate them myself. They scare me. I'm so afraid of something like this happening. There should have been more precautions in place if she had a gun near her granddaughter.

Justice for Travis

Sometimes the first step towards forgiveness is understanding that the other person is a complete idiot.

So sad! I hope the little girl is OK. My daughter is 4 and I always carry a gun (legally!) and I am always aware of where my bag is in relation to my children. They have all seen the gun and know it is there and they have been taught that it is not a toy.

This is a tragic accident but the grandma is to blame here. She left the gun around the child. Never mind that NO 4 year old can take the safety off. Hmmm...

Grandma was all kinds of reckless there.

The lovely Sacramento Valley in northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by curiositycat View Post
    Strange. Usually when a child grabs a gun the first response is to point it at someone else. Really strange...hope they investigate this a bit further.
    Actually, a SMALL child usually grabs the barrell. Two reasons...1, they have small hands and can generally grip the barrell with only one. 2, the hand grip is the heaviest part of the pistol, and sad to say, with one hand on the barrell, the other little hand will almost always find the trigger guard and come to rest right in front of the trigger. A 'hair trigger' will discharge if that hand moves against it.
    Unfortunatley, it happens that way a lot.
    My prayers to this family. They were more fortunate than many have been, and I hope others learn a valuable lesson from this.

This is exactly why I wont let my husband get a gun. He wants to get one and keep it in my glove box, but my 3 year old likes to play in stuff in my car so I said no. I am sure the grandma didnt expect that to happen but really she should have not put that purse near a child. I hope the little girl gets well soon, at least she will make it.

Poor poor baby!
    This tragedy could have been prevented. grrrrrrr
    Having a license to carry a concealed weapon doesn't lessen the person's responsibility to use common sense.

I cant believe people dont know guns and kids dont mix!!!!!!!!!!
    Joann thank you for showing me all the beautiful things in this world especially yourself!!!

Obviously Gramma is beating herself up over this. It is too bad that her loaded gun (apparantly) did not have a child proof safety lock of some sort. Something that would take an adult only a second to activate, but also be confusing to a child.

I am all about gun rights, but carrying a loaded pistol in your purse, with a child within reach to it... that is pretty stupid.

It is horrible. I know the grandmother must be devastated, but a child safety lock would have prevented this. I hope the child pulls through. The grandmother will probably never have a gun again, but too little too late. It should be a lesson for others out there who believe it is safe to have any loaded weapon around children.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

curiositycat is offline The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlydaze View Post
    Actually, a SMALL child usually grabs the barrell. Two reasons...1, they have small hands and can generally grip the barrell with only one. 2, the hand grip is the heaviest part of the pistol, and sad to say, with one hand on the barrell, the other little hand will almost always find the trigger guard and come to rest right in front of the trigger. A 'hair trigger' will discharge if that hand moves against it.
    Unfortunatley, it happens that way a lot.
    My prayers to this family. They were more fortunate than many have been, and I hope others learn a valuable lesson from this.
    Okay, after reading this yesterday, I decided to ask the sheriff of the town in which I work as a part time domestic violence advocate. When I asked him there were other officers there. It was thought by these folks that a child of 3 would more then likely pick up a gun by the handle. They felt that a child this young would be hard pressed to have the strength to hold a gun by the barrel and pull the trigger at the same time. They did say though that a child might be looking at the gun they are holding by the handle and point it at themselves.

I think the gun should have been in a holster and not lose in the purse. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the child had not seen grandmother "holding" the gun before.

Either way, it's a sad situation and I pray for all involved.
    "Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect" Steven Wright

Why was the gun cocked while in the purse anyway. If you're going to carry a gun use command sense. The only reason to have a gun cocked is if you're planning on shooting it. Having a child lock on a gun defeats the purpose of carry a gun what do you tell the guy that trying to hurt you just wait a minute until I get my gun unlocked you're in for it now. It's why they put safety locks on guns.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast