GUILTY IL - MeLisa Cleary, 30, brutally murdered, Mackinaw, 6 June 2008

imthemom

Reaction score
http://www.pjstar.com/news/x142953910/Missing-mothers-body-found-family-says

MACKINAW —
Police were searching Monday night for the husband of a Mackinaw mother whose family and friends said was found dead Monday.
MeLisa Cleary, 30, 1 Wood Wilshire Drive, a mother of three, was reported missing Friday evening after family and friends could not reach her by phone. Nicole Simpson, a close friend, said her body was found in a rural area near Lincoln on Monday morning, 22 miles south of her Mackinaw home.
Logan County State's Attorney Tim Huyett said railroad workers found the body of a 30-year-old woman who had suffered severe trauma, but he would not confirm the identity of the body.

http://www.pjstar.com/news/x1857754328/Amber-Alert-issued-for-children-of-missing-mom

MACKINAW —
At the request of the Tazewell County Sheriff's Office, the Illinois Emergency Alert System is activated for an Amber Alert.

Three children were abducted from 1 Wilshire Drive in Mackinaw, Illinois at 5 PM on June 9, 2008. Kaitlin Elizabeth Roten is a white 12 year old female. Kaitlin sometimes goes by the last name of Cleary. Jacob Thomas Cleary is a white 8 year old male. Chloe Renee Cleary is a white 3 year old female.

I am so sad to hear they found her dead. I heard this on the news a couple days ago and hoped she had just left on her own accord. Husband is now running with the kids.

I trust there are photographs of him and the children plastered everywhere.

another man who chose the murder route as opposed to divorce.

i hope the children will be spared.

http://.net/index.php?topic=2902.msg388692
Is it ok to post ? There are some interesting comments on the site. The cousin of Melisa says husband has criminal history and a dishonorable discharge from military.

http://www.week.com/news/local/19716409.html

couple was separating..... her in-home daycare was unlicensed because of husband's arrest & prison record.....he didn't report her disappearance & did not participate in search........... duh, i wonder who killed her

Tazewell County sheriff's police say Daniel Cleary and the three Cleary children were found in a Peoria motel early Tuesday, hours after an Amber Alert was issued for the children. Authorities didn't say why Cleary was taken in for questioning. The children placed in protective custody.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,365181,00.html

This is another heart breaking case, Nancy Grace had the story on her show tonight. IMO I believe the husband had something to do with her death she died from blunt force trauma. Melisa's sister said that if she ever come up dead it was her husband.
As soon as the transcript from Nancy Grace is posted I'll post the link.

Another young, beautiful mother taken from her babies. Dammit! IMO - the husband will be arrested within the next 24 hours. Those children will lose both parents in a matter of days. Lovely. Hope he rots!

GRACE: And tonight: Mystery surrounding a gorgeous young mom of three who vanishes into thin air, Mackinaw (ph), Illinois. Seventy-two hours later, the body of 30-year-old Melissa Cleary (ph) discovered just a few miles from her own home, severe trauma to her body. As the investigation kicks into high gear tonight to find the killer, an Amber Alert goes out for her little children. Do they even know their mother is dead?

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: According to family, 30-year-old Melissa Cleary was set to meet up with her sister when she disappears, so a massive search gets under way.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Noticeably absent from the search party is the missing woman`s husband, Daniel Cleary (ph).

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: She expressed that she feared for her life. She`s in the process of separation. She`s a mother of three, would not have left her kids, not left the house without calling somebody.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Three days later, Cleary`s body is discovered with severe trauma near railroad tracks in Logan (ph) County. Daniel Cleary is not in custody, but police say they did question him. According to reports, before her brutal death, Melissa Cleary wanted a divorce.

UNIDENTIFIED REPORTER: . miles from her Illinois home. The mom of three missing since Friday. And shortly after she is found dead in nearby Logan County, police issue an AMBER Alert for her children. That AMBER Alert coming to an end when the 12, 8 and 3-year-olds are discovered with their dad at a motel in Peoria.

Daniel Cleary taken in for questioning but not taken in to custody. There is a person of interest tonight, but no arrest. Police also mum on cause of death but do say Melisa Cleary suffered severe trauma.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

GRACE: ere trauma. Was it a shooting, a stabbing, a beating, a bludgeoning, a strangulation, asphyxiation? We don`t know yet. What we do know is this mom of three found just a few miles from her own home.

What`s so - unusual -- out to you, Shaun Newell, news director at 1470 WMBD Radio -- Shaun, why did the father who is not a suspect -- why did the father on the same day the wife`s body is found take the children and high tail it to a motel or hotel with an undisclosed woman?

And they had to issue an -- AMBER Alert. What is his explanation for taking off with the children? You think he would be making funeral arrangements?

SHAUN NEWELL, NEWS DIRECTOR, 1470 WMBD RADIO: Well, Nancy at this point, they haven`t really -- authorities haven`t really said why Daniel Cleary took the kids to Peoria and Daniel Cleary not talking to the press at this point. So it`s kind of an unknown as to why he took off that night.

GRACE: Is he cooperating with police?

NEWELL: As far as we know he is, yes.

GRACE: And Shaun, do we know where the children are tonight?

NEWELL: At this point we believe that the children are in protective custody with another relative of Melisa Cleary.

GRACE: Joining us also tonight is the sister of Melisa Cleary, Brandy Gerard.

Miss Gerard, thank you for being with us.

BRANDY GERARD, SISTER OF MURDERED MOM, MELISA CLEARY: Thank you.

GRACE: Miss Gerard, when did you learn she was missing?

GERARD: Saturday morning I got a text message from a best friend who she`s been going and staying with on the weekends because she was trying to leave her husband. And I knew nearly when I got the text message that she was missing. So we went directly to her house and called the cops on our way there.

GRACE: Well, you know what, your instinct -- I don`t necessarily believe in instincts, I think that they are conscious thoughts that you develop after a period of time of occurrences. So something made you believe the moment the friend couldn`t find her or locate her, you thought, and immediately something was wrong.

You didn`t think she`s gone to Target. She`s gone to the mall. She had a flat tire. You didn`t think that. You immediately thought she`s missing, why?

GERARD: She -- it wasn`t -- it definitely not instinct. It was the fact that had she expressed to us several, several times that if something happened to her that she was murdered that her husband had murdered her.

GRACE: Now I want to point out that the husband in this case has not been named a suspect. And in every investigation, Mike Brooks, the spouse is typically the first person that`s questioned. Why?

BROOKS: Absolutely, Nancy, especially in this case. You want to talk to the people closest to her, especially now, this is her, as they`re calling it, estrange husband because -- you know, is there foul play? Absolutely. Is this guy involved? We don`t know.

One of the things, if he is cooperating with police that would get him off the hook and as done many times, Nancy, a polygraph.

GRACE: I want to go back to Brandy Gerard. This is Melisa`s sister.

Miss Gerard, what was the cause of death?

GERARD: Blunt force trauma to the head and the neck.

GRACE: To Dr. Lisa Boesky, psychologist and author -- Doctor, that takes a different psyche to commit a blunt force trauma, a beating death, or a strangulation, as opposed to a shooting. Explain.

BOESKY: Well, when you think about blunt -- now again, we have to think about who did this. If just because the husband may not have done it, he may have hired someone to do this. And again we know if they had used a gun, then that could be traced to somebody.

This blunt force may not be able to trace -- be traced to anybody. So if the husband has anything to do with it this could be someone hired to do it and the way that they did it is much different.

GRACE: Of course, the husband, again, has not been named a suspect. An AMBER Alert went.
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0806/11/ng.01.html

Well it looks a little suspicious to me. Why would he flee with the children to a hotel if he is innocent?

Another story where children will grow up without their mother....it's so sad!! :(

I wonder who the woman is that was found with them at the hotel? Hmmmm...

GRACE: And tonight, the mystery surrounding a gorgeous young mom of three who vanishes into thin air, Mackinaw (ph), Illinois, the body of 30- year-old Melisa Cleary discovered just a few miles from her own home. Reportedly, she was bludgeoned to death. Tonight, the investigation in high gear to find the killer. We learn the young mom, in fear for her life, specifically stating, if she ever goes missing, she was murdered.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Although they have a person of interest, police still have made to arrests in the brutal death of a young Illinois mom, the body of 30-year-old Melisa Cleary found Monday under a bridge next to railroad tracks in Lincoln County. And according to family, she suffered blunt force trauma to the head and the neck. Cleary`s estranged husband has been questioned by police, but is not a suspect at this time. Less than 24 hours after the young mom was found dead, Daniel Cleary is found in Peoria with the couple`s three children at a motel, all after an Amber Alert is issued. But tonight, who killed Melisa Cleary?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Authorities haven`t really said why Daniel Cleary took the kids to Peoria, and Daniel Cleary not talking to the press at this point. So it`s kind of an unknown as to why he took off that night. At this point, we believe that the children are in protective custody with another relative of Melisa Cleary.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: She had expressed to us several, several times that if something happened to her, that she was murdered, that her husband had murdered her.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)
UNIDENTIFIED REPORTER: Mom of three, Melisa Cleary, found dead with severe trauma to the body, about three days after she is reported missing. Foul play now suspected and police on the hunt for who killed the devoted mom.

Loved ones reveal Cleary in fear of her life and close to divorcing her estranged husband. Police issuing an AMBER Alert after Daniel Cleary takes off with the children shortly after their mother is found dead.

The kids now safe with relatives, but tonight, no suspects nor arrests and a family without Melisa Cleary.

BRANDY GERARD, SISTER OF MURDERED MOM, MELISA CLEARY: Saturday morning I got a text message from a best friend who she`d been going and staying with on the weekend, because she was trying to leave her husband. And I knew immediately when I got the text message that she was missing. So we went directly to her house and called the cops on our way there.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

GRACE: Straight out to Shaun Newell with WMBC Radio. Shaun, what is the latest?

SHAUN NEWELL, NEWS DIRECTOR, 1470 WMBD RADIO: Well, the latest is Sheriff Bob Houston with the Tazewell County Sheriff`s Department says they`re still trying to follow up on leads at this time and looking into the latest information and waiting on some test results, but still nobody in custody.

GRACE: Man, she is absolutely beautiful. What can you tell me about the cause of death?

NEWELL: The cause of death at this point is not being released by officials around this area due to the fact that they don`t want it to impede their investigation.

GRACE: Well, that`s crazy, because I already know that she was bludgeoned to death, so they`re not keeping that tight of a lid on it.

I want to go to Pat Brown, criminal profiler and author. Pat, weigh in.

PAT BROWN, CRIMINAL PROFILER, AUTHOR OF "KILLING FOR SPORT": Well, this woman said she thought her husband might kill her. And it`s so sad that when women think that don`t immediately get some protection, get somebody around her, because, obviously, she might have been right.

GRACE: Of course, the husband not named a suspect at this juncture.

I want get back to Shaun Newell with WMBD Radio. You know the husband is not doing himself any favors by taking off with the kids. Give me the timeline as to when she went missing, when her body was found, and when he left with the children.

NEWELL: She went missing on Friday afternoon, late Friday afternoon, then her body was found sometime Monday morning. And it`s believed that he left the house with the children sometime around 5 o`clock on Monday afternoon.

GRACE: And where was he discovered?

NEWELL: He was discovered at a motel in Peoria in the middle of the night, overnight, Monday night, into Tuesday.

GRACE: Why?

NEWELL: Because they issued an AMBER Alert for him and they ended up finding him at the motel.

GRACE: OK. Let me.

NEWELL: He was with his children and his mother were with him.

GRACE: Let me rephrase that, Shaun Newell. Why did he take the children? His wife`s body had just been found. Why did he take the children and go to Peoria?

NEWELL: That`s still unknown. Authorities aren`t saying why and Daniel Cleary not talking about it either to the media at this point.

GRACE: Out to the lines. Ebony in Washington. Hi, Ebony.

EBONY, WASHINGTON RESIDENT: Hi, Nancy. Thanks for taking my call.

GRACE: Thank you for calling. What`s your question, dear?

EBONY: My question first, I don`t know if you had spoke about it, but I don`t know what the age of the children are, but are the children talking? Are they acting normal or are they acting traumatized?

So that was my question, is what are the children -- and how are -- what are they acting like?

GRACE: Joining us tonight, a special guest is Melisa Cleary`s sister, Brandy Gerard.

Miss Gerard, thank you for being with us. How are the children?

GERARD: The children are good. They`re definitely traumatized. They`re definitely not -- they`re OK one minute and the next minute they`re, you know, really upset. They know that Lisa`s gone and she`s not coming back, but they don`t know the details on what, you know, has happened to her.

Definitely not acting normal, as if, you know, mom had gotten in an accident and came up missing. You know they definitely are a little bit standoffish, and they are not -- they have not given us any information, you know, like as far as if they know if anything happened at the house, they`re not really talking to us about it. So they show a lot of fear from their -- for their father, also.

GRACE: What do you mean?

GERARD: So.

GRACE: What do you.

GERARD: Excuse me?

GRACE: What do you mean, they show fear for or of their father?

GERARD: Fear of their father. Fear of their father, yes.

GRACE: Where were they -- where were the three children at the time of the killing?

GERARD: I don`t know, because I don`t know what time the killing was, but Friday night was the night that she, obviously, didn`t go to her friend`s house and Caitlin stayed at a friend`s house that night, and she`s the oldest, she`s 12. And the two younger were in the house.

GRACE: With whom?

GERARD: With Dan.

GRACE: And tell me again, Brandy Gerard, when was it that it first dawned on everyone that something was wrong?

GERARD: When I got that text message from Nicole, I immediately knew that something wasn`t right because she would have not ever -- first of all, she was the most unindependent person. Like she always had to have someone with her.

And when she -- first of all, she would have never left that house without calling somebody. Second of all, she would have never like -- she wouldn`t have done anything without contacting Nicole, because she`d already expressed to us that if she came up missing with, something bad had happened to her and that -- and call the cops.

If you haven`t talked to me in an hour, call the cops. I mean there were at least seven good friends and the family that she had that was talking to her like every hour on the hour. You know what I mean? Like we were keeping close tabs on her.

GRACE: The husband in this case, Daniel Cleary, is not named a suspect.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0806/12/ng.01.html

Arrest Made in Cleary Murder

<snip>

"The husband of Mackinaw murder victim MeLisa Cleary has been arrested in connection with her death.

Daniel K. Cleary, 35, of 506 E. Locust Street, Apt. 3, Normal, was arrested without incident at 7:15 p.m. Wednesday by investigators from the Tazewell County State's Attorney's office, according to Tazewell County Sheriff Robert Huston. Cleary remains in custody at the Tazewell County Justice Center without bond at this time."

"MeLisa Cleary, 30, was found bludgeoned to death at 10:25 a.m. on June 9, 2008, near railroad tracks by railroad workers near mile marker 7 on Interstate I55 near Lincoln--about 20 miles from her home."

http://www.pekintimes.com/news/x749201855/Arrest-made-in-Cleary-murder

took 2 freaking years to charge him?????????????????

jeesh.

anyone notice the irony of the friend of the victim? 'nicole simpson'

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77