655 users online (120 members and 535 guests)  

Websleuths News

Redondo Beach, CA

Poland - Drunk Baby Born '15 Times' Over the Limit

This is pathetic! She just couldn't be sober for nine months.

A mother who was intoxicated during her labor at a Polish hospital gave birth to a baby girl who was almost 15 times over the country's adult drunk-driving limit, Agence France-Presse is reporting.

The baby girl, born Monday, had a blood alcohol level of 0.29 percent. Poland's drunk driving limit is 0.02 percent, according to the report.

In the U.S., the adult drunk-driving limit is 0.08.

Doctors at a hospital in Otwock, on the outskirts of Warsaw, Poland, called the police after the drunk expectant mother checked in to give birth.

The 38-year-old mother's blood alcohol level was 0.12 percent, which is the equivalent of drinking a bottle of wine, according to the report.The mother could face up to five years in prison on charges of endangering the life and health of her child, it is reported. Doctors said the baby is not in immediate danger, but the alcohol may impact her development.

Lake Charles, Louisiana
    ohhhhh this is just so wrong on so many levels.

I doubt if mom needed anesthesia during the birth.
    The prognosis for that infant is probably not good.

When I first read the title I thought it said "Drunken baby born fifteen times"...I was like "Whoa....can that be?".

This mom is trash. She probably has no clue who the father is either. I don't know what the law is in that country but I hope only bad things for her.

I am not sure about the prognosis of this particular baby, but a good friend of mine had roughly the same thing happen to him.

The mother of his son was known to be a drinker. Through most of the pregnancy, my friend managed to keep from drinking too much. He was staying with her a lot and had her parents on watch as well. When she was about just under 9 months pregnant he got a call from the hospital, his son was being born and the mother came in drunk.

Her parental rights were severed at the hospital. He got full custody of the boy.

This was 8 years ago. Nate is a wonderful and smart little boy. So far there has been no signs of damage done from his mother's obsession with alcohol. He is reading well above his level in school and has no social disorders. Maybe my friend just go lucky, but I hope this baby gets just as lucky.

What was going on in that woman's life besides being pregnant that she was drinking that much? Roxye, I'm glad little Nate is doing so well. Hope for this little baby in Poland.

This type of thing makes me a stark raving lunatic.