Thread: 700-pound Mexican man hopes to stand for wedding

700-pound Mexican man hopes to stand for wedding

My jaw dropped and never closed while viewing the photos.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/mexico_half_ton_man

wow, thats just wow

So the lady has a thing for obese men?

'Solis said her family initially opposed the match with Uribe, because her first husband, who was also obese, died of respiratory failure.

"They were worried about me being involved with another fat man, because they thought another husband would die on me," she said.'

Oh and he blames living in the united states for his weight problem spiraling out of control where he had "a nonstop diet of junk food and soft drinks". hmm — such food was not available in Mexico?

apparently it is now as he is launching the Manuel Uribe Foundation to educate people about nutrition and to combat obesity.

Usually Im a very compassionate person but I find it hard to have sympathy for morbibly obese people.......I watched a show on telly last night about a man in a similar position and all he and his family could do was make excuses for why they continue to eat fast food dripping with fat and early death....they were even feeding a four month old child Maccas.Maybe I just need to educate myself on the plight of these people to find some sorrow for them.

Quote Originally Posted by dingo View Post
    Usually Im a very compassionate person but I find it hard to have sympathy for morbibly obese people.......I watched a show on telly last night about a man in a similar position and all he and his family could do was make excuses for why they continue to eat fast food dripping with fat and early death....they were even feeding a four month old child Maccas.Maybe I just need to educate myself on the plight of these people to find some sorrow for them.
    What on earth could the excuses be?

Low income was one excuse Floh apparently its cheaper in the states to buy fast food than to eat freash food but I think it has more to do with lifestyle and laziness......I dont like to toot our horn all the time but here it is cheaper to eat fresh seasonal food than it is to buy takeaway ......Maccas here is considered a treat for the kids not a menu plan......we have a obese people too and I have little sympathy for them aswell.......

Quote Originally Posted by Floh View Post
    Oh and he blames living in the united states for his weight problem spiraling out of control where he had "a nonstop diet of junk food and soft drinks". hmm such food was not available in Mexico?

apparently it is now as he is launching the Manuel Uribe Foundation to educate people about nutrition and to combat obesity.
    I caught that too-

Quote Originally Posted by dingo View Post
    Low income was one excuse Floh apparently its cheaper in the states to buy fast food than to eat freash food but I think it has more to do with lifestyle and laziness......I dont like to toot our horn all the time but here it is cheaper to eat fresh seasonal food than it is to buy takeaway ......Maccas here is considered a treat for the kids not a menu plan......we have a obese people too and I have little sympathy for them aswell.......
    Ita--- it is one thing to be very overweight- it is another thing to be so obese you have been bed ridden for 6 years

I think this is a nice story. He used to have the world record for the heaviest person and has since lost 500 pounds. I give anyone who can loose 500 pounds credit. He wants to keep going and be an inspiration for others.

He is going the right direction in life, which is more than I can say about the people (pedophiles, rapests, murderers, abusers etc.) in most of the cases we read here at websleuths.

I'm proud of him for his accomplishments and wish him the best of luck on his continued journey. I hope he can stand at his wedding. That would be a great way to start his new life.

Quote Originally Posted by RainbowsAndGumdrops View Post
    I think this is a nice story. He used to have the world record for the heaviest person and has since lost 500 pounds. I give anyone who can loose 500 pounds credit. He wants to keep going and be an inspiration for others.

He is going the right direction in life, which is more than I can say about the people (pedophiles, rapists, murderers, abusers etc.) in most of the cases we read here at websleuths.

I'm proud of him for his accomplishments and wish him the best of luck on his continued journey. I hope he can stand at his wedding. That would be a great way to start his new life.
    To have the fortitude to lose 500 pounds is amazing.

I hope he continues and is able to stand during his wedding.

If he were not so obese he would be a rather attractive man. Nice to see he has a good attitude and a big smile.

imo
    "Pardon Our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" USMC New River Air Station, Jacksonville, North Carolina

OK I am sorry, but there is something wrong with a woman who is attracted to morbidly obese men. Granted, people should look beyond a person's exterior, but when it becomes the attraction first (which in her case it seems to be)...I would say there are...no pun intended...larger issues in play.

I wish them the best, but will she be happy if he loses the weight? I am glad he has a goal and is working towards a healthier life...but I still say something is off with her. Can't put my finger on it exactly (she probably can't either, just saying).
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

Quote Originally Posted by j2mirish View Post
    Ita--- it is one thing to be very overweight- it is another thing to be so obese you have been bed ridden for 6 years
    Thats my point J2...6 years is a long time to be laying in your own filth and self pity .

Quote Originally Posted by SeriouslySearching View Post
    OK I am sorry, but there is something wrong with a woman who is attracted to morbidly obese men. Granted, people should look beyond a person's exterior, but when it becomes the attraction first (which in her case it seems to be)...I would say there are...no pun intended...larger issues in play.

I wish them the best, but will she be happy if he loses the weight? I am glad he has a goal and is working towards a healthier life...but I still say something is off with her. Can't put my finger on it exactly (she probably can't either, just saying).
    Yeah, I don't know what to say about that aspect of it. I can understand a motivation to help people improve their lives. I can even understand a dedication to the cause and support that. However, being in love, and getting married to these people is a whole different issue.

With that said. I will change my comments to "Good for him for loosing the weight" to "Good for him for loosing the weight, not sure what to think about her attraction to the morbidly obese."

Quote Originally Posted by oceanblueeyes View Post
    To have the fortitude to lose 500 pounds is amazing.

I hope he continues and is able to stand during his wedding.

If he were not so obese he would be a rather attractive man. Nice to see he has a good attitude and a big smile.
    I don't know about fortitude on his part Ocean, he couldn't get out of the house for a very long time and someone had to be bringing him food and that part is also disgusting!

These kind of stories always prompt the 'gag' factor in me, it doesn't happen over night, and medically impossible to gain that kind of weight unless the food intake is more than enormous.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriouslySearching View Post

My life is greatly enriched because some men really like morbidly obese women. Alot.
    FUN... is a renewable resource!

Im glad he is losing the weight. Im sure its depression on his part and nothing to do with America obviously that part bothers me because I dont eat like that even though I have it all around me and I live in America. To get that big you have to be depressed and eating would be his comfort, its not any different than any other addiction. I think he needs to look internally for the reason why he overeats or the weight will come back.

To gain perspective on the weight gain-
    To gain one pound a week it takes only 500 extra calories to eat over what your body uses. Basically a couple of 20 ounce colas a day above what you would burn. He might have been gaining his entire life to get up to that weight at 52 lbs a year with just a few pops extra and a few too many snacks each day.

Regarding the question of attraction, No I can honestly say I would not be attracted to him as I like my skinny guys, just a preference. I cant comprehend how many women go after "rock stars" when so many of them to me are ugly. To each their own.
    Last edited by Autumn2004; 06-14-2008 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RainbowsAndGumdrops View Post
    The man who died is a different man. His name is Garza. The man who was being discussed and who had lost some of his weight was named Uribe. The man who died had recently lost his parents and had asked for help but it was too late in coming.

Is this guy still alive and well?

He is still alive.