Tornado Hits Scout Camp In Western Iowa

SuziQ

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.kcci.com/news/16579043/detail.html

KCCI is getting early word tonight of a tornado touchdown that hit a Boy Scout camp in western Iowa, injuring as many as 40 people. Some of the injuries may be fatalities.
Courtney Greene, a spokeswoman for Governor Chet Culver, says the tornado hit the Little Sioux scout camp. Speaking from the state Emergency Operations Center, which is mobilized because of flooding across Iowa, Greene said authorities have been told of multiple injuries and the potential loss of life.

The Weather Channel has reported possibly 4 people killed. :(

I am watching live news coverage in the area...my daughter, sil and baby grandson are in the area and I am worried sick!!

Regarding the boy scout camp, it's being reported that the boys at the camp right now are older boys, that there are between 30-40 injuries, and as you said, four deaths. :(

http://www.ketv.com/video/9312602

I am watching live news coverage in the area...my daughter, sil and baby grandson are in the area and I am worried sick!!

Regarding the boy scout camp, it's being reported that the boys at the camp right now are older boys, that there are between 30-40 injuries, and as you said, four deaths. :(

Anita, keep us posted if you hear from your daugher and sister in law.
It's all over the news.

xxxxxxxoooo
mama
:blowkiss:

Anita, keep us posted if you hear from your daughter and sister in law.
It's all over the news. The camp has been completely destroyed. Reporting that is 1,800 acres. That's a lot!

Can you get your daughter on the phone!

xxxxxxxoooo
mama

Anita, keep us posted if you hear from your daugher and sister in law.
It's all over the news.

xxxxxxxoooo
mama

Thanks, sweetie!!

I've talked to her several times (as the storms go over them) and I keep asking why they aren't in the bathroom (they live on the 3rd floor in an apartment building)!!! She blames it on her husband, but she's standing on the deck, watching this stuff! :furious:

I am just sick with worry and sick with sorrow for the parents of those boys.

One news channel is reporting 20 injuries and the other is reporting 4 fatalities. Seems bad no matter how you look at it. This is coming from CNN and Fox News online.

http://www.kcci.com/news/16579043/detail.html

KCCI is getting early word tonight of a tornado touchdown that hit a Boy Scout camp in western Iowa, injuring as many as 40 people. Some of the injuries may be fatalities.
Courtney Greene, a spokeswoman for Governor Chet Culver, says the tornado hit the Little Sioux scout camp. Speaking from the state Emergency Operations Center, which is mobilized because of flooding across Iowa, Greene said authorities have been told of multiple injuries and the potential loss of life.

Anita, I guess that's okay if they think it won't come near them.

I WONDER, did these people even GET a tornado warning. I know everyone doesn't get one and I don't even know what they could have done.......
I'm just not familiar at all with warnings! I know the place is isolated. There were 100 tornados spotted near that area. Shouldn't they have known and gotten out of there?

Can someone clue me in..........

xxxxxxxxxxooooooo
mama
:blowkiss::blowkiss:

I WONDER, did these people even GET a tornado warning. I know everyone doesn't get one and I don't even know what they could have done.......
I'm just not familiar at all with warnings! I know the place is isolated. There were 100 tornados spotted near that area. Shouldn't they have known and gotten out of there?

xxxxxxxxxxooooooo
mama
The boys at the scout camp were older (like working towards Eagle Scout, which is the highest honor, I think) and were "primitive" camping. What that means is, they were out there for a week (to end this Saturday), in tents and not much shelter. They *did* have warning about the storms coming in, but there weren't very many places (no basements) to go. They are trained to find the lowest lying ground during a storm such as this, and the campsite was in a lower laying area. *All the boys were trained in first aid and if there were injuries, they would know what to do.* :( Quote from a scout master who was not at the camp, but is at the scene now, wanting to get in to help his boys.

The thing about tornadoes is, they can change direction in a split second and move at 50 mph or more.

xxxxxxxxxxooooooo
mama

Remember when I told you about the downtown Atlanta tornadoes? I was watching the activity from 2 miles away but never even lost power and the area was a disaster zone. Tornadoes do spot check.

When we lived in the western part of Iowa, the only warning we got was when the local fire department sounded their siren. We lived in Harrison County. The year before we moved there, a tornado took out some of the city of Council Bluffs, IA (across the bridge from Omaha, NE).

Please, Anita, keep us posted when you hear from your family. :blowkiss:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/weather/06/11/severe.weather/index.html

(snip)
Meyer said about 120 people, including 93 children, were believed to be at the camp at the time of the storm.
Lloyd Roitstein, president of the Boy Scouts of Mid-America Council, said the scouts at the ranch were between 13 and 18 years old and were there for a week of training. He said all of them were staying in tents and that the site was destroyed.
"All of the buildings are gone; most of the tents are gone; most of the trees are destroyed," Roitstein said. "You've got 1,800 acres of property that are destroyed right now."

We've camped there. My brother in law works with the scout counsel and we were lucky to spend a long weekend on that beautiful land.

The buildings are all cement slabs with wood walls (no insulation or reinforcement). Where the buildings are/were is in a valley surrounded by the hills, so that's one good thing.

*My family is in Omaha and Bellevue. Thank you for your support, guys. Mr. Richman is away on business and I am watching this stuff alone. :( (I'm a million miles away and feeling so helpless!)

Anita, prayers for safety to your family. It sounds like it's going to be a long night.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back