Scanners that see through clothing installed in US airports

Taximom

Former Member
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080610/ts_alt_afp/ustransportaviationsecurity_080610211153

Ick.

A random selection of travellers getting ready to board airplanes in Washington, New York's Kennedy, Los Angeles and other key hubs will be shut in the glass booths while a three-dimensional image is made of their body beneath their clothes.

and

While it allows the security screeners -- looking at the images in a separate room -- to clearly see the passenger's sexual organs as well as other details of their bodies, the passenger's face is blurred, TSA said in a statement on its website.
The scan only takes seconds and is to replace the physical pat-downs of people that is currently widespread in airports.
TSA began introducing the body scanners in airports in April, first in the Phoenix, Arizona terminal.
The installation is picking up this month, with machines in place or planned for airports in Washington (Reagan National and Baltimore-Washington International), Dallas, Las Vegas, Albuquerque, Miami and Detroit.

and

"People have no idea how graphic the images are," Barry Steinhardt, director of the technology and liberty program at the American Civil Liberties Union, told AFP.
The ACLU said in a statement that passengers expecting privacy underneath their clothing "should not be required to display highly personal details of their bodies such as evidence of mastectomies, colostomy appliances, penile implants, catheter tubes and the size of their breasts or genitals as a pre-requisite to boarding a plane." (more at link)

Now, they say the images aren't printable etc etc but what's to stop some sickie from taking cell phone pics? I can see celebrities fearing this!

Lara Uselding, a TSA spokeswoman, added that passengers are not obliged to accept the new machines.
"The passengers can choose between the body imaging and the pat-down," she told AFP.

So it's a choice of getting gawked at or felt up. Hmmmm...honestly I think I'd pick the pat down. Will children be subject to this thing? I just can't see how this is a good idea for anyone involved. :furious:

I want to know just how detailed the scans will look before I can make any kind of sense of this. I understand WHY.....but I just don't see myself as ever being comfortable with the procedure.

OMG I would feel sooo uncomfortable knowing people can see all my junk through my clothes!!!

I want to know just how detailed the scans will look before I can make any kind of sense of this. I understand WHY.....but I just don't see myself as ever being comfortable with the procedure.

I've seen video on the news about this and it's fairly obvious what you are looking at.

I don't think I would want the job, frankly!

I've had a lot of kids. So many people have seen my hoo ha in an up close and personal way what's one more little gawk gonna do to me? lol

I think I kinda like that better than being felt up.

I've had a lot of kids. So many people have seen my hoo ha in an up close and personal way what's one more little gawk gonna do to me? lol

I think I kinda like that better than being felt up.

someone being scanned doesn't see the tsa person or vice versa. it's not like you walk up to a drooling, lacivious guy & he says "let's see what you've got!"

i'm with you mama. it's nothing personal.... looking at a screen of wuwus 40 hours a week cannnot be erotic. i wish they would scan everybody. i'd rather stand on my head naked at the gate than get on board with another passenger who is concealing contraband. duh!

y'know what they say about working in an ice cream parlor; very soon you'll have overcome the desire for ice cream.

I'll take the felt up first and I would not allow my daughter to be viewed. Professionalism, eh I worked in the medical field. While you hope everyone has professionalism there are jokes once in a while too. Thankfully my husband is paranoid of flying so I dont see us dealing with it much.

Ok...but if I hear the guys laughing up in the control room I am going to smack :slap: them hard!:mad:(Or should I say WHEN I hear them laughing.. ;) )

I'll take the felt up first and I would not allow my daughter to be viewed. Professionalism, eh I worked in the medical field. While you hope everyone has professionalism there are jokes once in a while too. Thankfully my husband is paranoid of flying so I dont see us dealing with it much.
well, those people working in the airline industry are JERKS. i won't be letting them do that to me either... and i look at ho-has all day long some days, depending on which area i am working in!

well, those people working in the airline industry are JERKS. i won't be letting them do that to me either... and i look at ho-has all day long some days, depending on which area i am working in!

I agree, I can imagine the comments with my after baby body.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back