GUILTY NC - Eve Carson, 22, UNC student, shot to death, Chapel Hill, 5 March 2008 - #2

This case has always bothered me. I guess it's because I am not too much older than the victim and the whole thing is just so tragic. I am not trying to stir up trouble, but I was recently in the UNC area and met someone who is closely tied to the university. We started talking about this case and she told me that the crime was "MUCH worse than has been reported in the media." That the police kept most of the gruesome details secret, but that it has leaked out to the campus staff and students. I was wondering if anyone knew more about this -- and if so -- are the two "men" (I use this term loosely) being charged with anything further??

A friend said ABC11.com is reporting no evidence of rape, although warrants said evidence requested was Pubic hair combings, 50 pubic hairs, 50 head hairs, blood, and saliva and cheek scrapings from Atwater, who she was in the back seat with. A warrant also says police have probable cause to believe "sexual assault of an unknown nature occurred," though neither Lovette nor Atwater has been charged with such an assault.

I almost wish they could be released so they can receive the punishment they truly deserve.

Carson killed by blasts from shotgun
http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/3125964/

The report details the "multiple gunshot wounds" it lists as Carson's cause of death. It said she was shot twice with a shotgun, once to the right temple and once in the right hand. The report also said Carson was shot four other times.
She was found lying in the street, tilted on her left hip. Her right arm was bent behind her head, according to the medical examiner's "Report of Investigation" released Monday morning.

:mad:

RIP, Eve.

Letter confirms federal probe of Eve Carson homicide

Hillsborough, N.C. — A letter made public Thursday confirms federal authorities have opened an investigation into the shooting death of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill's student body president.

U.S. Attorney Anna Mills Wagoner says in the letter, dated April 23, to Orange County District Attorney Jim Woodall, that investigators opened the investigation nine days after Eve Carson, 22, was found dead several blocks from the UNC campus.

<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/3310693/

I think the most interesting part of the article Fran linked to is the possibility of death penalty due to the carjacking being associated with a murder.

DA will seek death penalty in UNC murder case

Posted: Today at 5:00 a.m.
Updated: 5 minutes ago

Hillsborough, N.C. &#8212; Orange County District Attorney Jim Woodall said Monday he will seek the death penalty against one of two men charged in the shooting death of last year's student body president at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Demario James Atwater, 22, was arrested March 12 and charged with first-degree murder in the March 5 shooting death of Eve Marie Carson, 22, of Athens, Ga.

...........................snip..........................

Since the death penalty was reinstated in North Carolina in 1977, no one has been sentenced to death in Orange County. The last person executed for a crime there was John Breeze in January 1948.

Lovette, 17, who is also charged in the Jan. 18 shooting death of Duke University graduate student Abhijit Mahato, is not eligible for the death penalty. A 2005 U.S. Supreme Court ruling prohibits the execution of anyone who was under age 18 at the time of a crime.

If convicted in Carson's death, the maximum sentence Lovette could face is life in prison without parole.

<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/3358693/

Posted tonight (8-11-2008), or technically on 8-12 Eastern time, is the following post about the DA's decision to move forward with the death penalty for Atwater:

While the media wants to deify the victim they should go to the Cornwaulis Projects and find out how much time she spent there with Atwater and how much she was into a lot of things with him!Learn from people instead of taking everything the media says to heart!
http://www.newsobserver.com/2811/story/1172998.html

Interesting??? Defense strategy???? Or just another bit of smoke and mirrors...

Although I'm opposed to the death penalty generally, if Eve's family supports this decision, I support theirs.

Maybe Eve Carson didn't die in vain. Hopefully they can make some sense and changes in our system. But what a heavy price to pay, for the victim and her loved ones. :(

JMHO
fran

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/3402616/

Federal agency report recommends changes for N.C. probation

Raleigh, N.C. — A draft report from a federal agency that reviewed North Carolina's probation system was released Tuesday evening and includes 35 recommendations for improvements of various kinds.

The draft was released the evening before state Department of Correction leaders are expected to meet with the agency.

The DOC requested assistance in April from the National Institute of Corrections, a U.S. Justice Department agency.

The request followed an internal probe into how probation officers handled the cases of Demario James Atwater, 22, and Laurence Alvin Lovette Jr., 17, both whom are charged with first-degree murder in the March 5 shooting death of Eve Marie Carson, a University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill senior.

The reviewers made 18 recommendations to improve operations and 17 to address management and personnel issues, including:

.............go to link for full article..........................

Maybe Eve Carson didn't die in vain. Hopefully they can make some sense and changes in our system. But what a heavy price to pay, for the victim and her loved ones. :(

JMHO
fran

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/3402616/

Federal agency report recommends changes for N.C. probation

Raleigh, N.C. — A draft report from a federal agency that reviewed North Carolina's probation system was released Tuesday evening and includes 35 recommendations for improvements of various kinds.

The draft was released the evening before state Department of Correction leaders are expected to meet with the agency.

The DOC requested assistance in April from the National Institute of Corrections, a U.S. Justice Department agency.

The request followed an internal probe into how probation officers handled the cases of Demario James Atwater, 22, and Laurence Alvin Lovette Jr., 17, both whom are charged with first-degree murder in the March 5 shooting death of Eve Marie Carson, a University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill senior.

The reviewers made 18 recommendations to improve operations and 17 to address management and personnel issues, including:

.............go to link for full article..........................

Thanks for this link, fran,
God bless Eve Carson's family and friends:rose::rose::rose:

Eve Carson Murder Suspect Pleads Not Guilty

One of the two suspects accused in the death of University of North Carolina student body president Eve Carson has pleaded not guilty to a federal kidnapping charge.

During a hearing Wednesday in federal court in Greensboro, attorneys for 22-year-old Demario Athingyer also asked for a January 2010 trial date. But Judge James A. Beaty Jr. left that set for November.

Athingyer also faces eight other charges, including carjacking resulting in death and carrying and using firearms during and in relation to carjacking. He could face the death penalty if convicted of either of those charges.

http://www.11alive.com/rss/rss_story.aspx?storyid=127360

All murders are senseless but Eve's murder has always bothered me because of the complete senselessness of it. They just shot her for no reason whatsoever. I cannot stand to even look at the suspects it makes me so angry that these complete waste of space human beings who were contributing nothing to society gunned down someone like Eve was already a positve productive member of society who was working towards goals and who knows what she could have become and they took that away.

Charlotte Observer updated their earlier article...........

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/597/story/651696.html

This case is so disturbing to me..........I'm surprised it hasn't received more attention on WS. By all accounts this was a crime of opportunity with the worst outcome possible. Eve Carson has already accomplished so much in life and was sure to give and offer so much to the world. I can't stress how much it upsets me that she is gone. As my daughter lived in a house with her friends only blocks away........my mind goes to bad places. I know this area so well and Eve lived right on the edge of campus and I'm sure never thought something like this would happen. One of the most popular places for students is just down the road. I'll stop now.......seeing this article today just stirred up emotion in me.

Accused Eve Carson killer still trying for out-of-state trial

Published Fri, Jan 22, 2010 07:50 PM
Modified Fri, Jan 22, 2010 07:52 PM

GREENSBORO -- Federal prosecutors argue that there is no reason to move the federal trial for Demario Atwater, one of two men accused in the 2008 killing of UNC-Chapel Hill student body president Eve Carson.

The prosecutors submitted their arguments in federal court document on Friday in response to a petition filed last month by Atwater's defense team.

In December, Atwater's lawyers argued that the potential jury pool had been "poisoned" throughout North Carolina because of pretrial publicity about the state murder charges and the federal carjacking, kidnapping and firearms charges. The defense team asked for the trial to be moved to Virginia and cited the results of a poll of 300 people as evidence that potential jurors already had strong opinions that the defendant was guilty as charged, and not presumed innocent as the judicial system requires.

more here

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local_state/story/299616.html

Thanks for the link Texas Mist. This makes me so mad. The defense teams' client should have thought about being judged in the 'court of public opinion' before he and his sidekick chose to conduct their spree of terror against Eve. Hmphhhh. I wish they'd call off the trial altogether and put this sorry excuse for a life form under the jail!

I am very passionate about this case because I was moonlighting nights and weekends as a news reporter for a talk radio station when Eve was murdered. It was difficult writing impartial stories about these life forms needless to say. Then when the photo of the suspect at the ATM was released I could see that Eve was in the back seat of the car with someone. A few days later it was confirmed and the photo was enlarged clearly showing her in the back. How scared she must have been. Now Atwater is scared that he won't get a fair trial. Well Boo Hoo....cry me a river. I am sure it's nothing compared to the tears shed by Eve's family and friends.

RIP Eve. May justice be served soon.

All MOO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni