NC - Tyler McMillan, 13, dies while tied to tree, Macclesfield, 12 June 2008

ceeaura

Former Member
Reaction score
SNIP:

NC couple face murder in death of son tied to tree

By MIKE BAKER
Associated Press Writer

RALEIGH, N.C. — A couple accused of tying their 13-year-old son to a tree for two nights to punish him for disobedience has been charged with murder in his death, authorities said Friday.
Brice Brian McMillan, 41, of Macclesfield, told a deputy that the child was being disobedient and was forced to sleep outside Tuesday while tied to a tree, the Edgecombe County Sheriff's Office said. The teenager was released Wednesday morning but again tied up that night for bad behavior, authorities said.

http://www.dailyadvance.com/news/content/gen/ap/Tied_To_Tree.html

WTH?! :eek:

How horrible for that child! GRRRRRR! He could have died because of heatstroke and dehydration. I bet they didn't give him food or water during that time either. They need to hang his parents. Makes me ill that he was treated worse than any dog! WTH is wrong with people?!?!

Hello, the parents are charged with murder, the child died at the hand of his parents. They killed him.

Thanks for posting that link TM.

I just read the comments section there and I am tears!A couple of posters are saying that the mom is his step mother and his bio mom died a couple of years ago of cancer :( Oh that poor child!I can't even imagine what he went through being tied to a tree in the heat and the bugs ...just makes me sick to my stomach!

May those two burn.

Even though the stepmom is mentioned, I think the father is the one that did the tying. She may have been an abused wife, OR NOT....just saying.

The two smaller children are homeschooled. They just moved to that location a few months ago. In a case like this, those are red flags to me. Perhaps the other children were abused too?

I'm not saying there's anything bad about homeschooling! I think we've all seen cases where abuse was hidden from schools and authorities by abusive parents that only said their children were homeschooled.

This is so horrible.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/crime_safety/story/1106909.html
Knight said the boy was tied with plastic ties akin to handcuffs. "There were other things on the body that led us to believe they used something different" in addition to the plastic ties, Knight said.

and

Knight said the child had bruises on his wrists. He said he "had some idea" of what the child was being disciplined for, but he said could not share that information. He said he did not know which parent initiated the discipline. (more at link)

SO now we don't know which parent although first reports indicated the father was doing the disciplining.

This is so sad. I am just horrified at what that poor boy went through. It was very hot and smoky there on Wednesday. Bless his heart. I'm sure he is with his mother now. May he RIP. I hope his dad and stepmom rot.

Lock them up for life. Ugh sick excuses of "parents".

That poor kid. At least he isn't suffering any more at the hands of these sickos. I don't understand what is wrong with people these days. How could anyone treat another person with such cruelty?:(

I hope the two younger children have the chance to start again in a family that will show them some love and compassion.

This is heatbreaking to read. One of the comments to the first link posted stated that the trouble began when the father remarried. Whatever, you don't tie a child to a tree. Maybe the stepmom never bonded w/ him, but how the heck could dad sleep at night knowing his son was tied outside to a tree. Can you imagine being tied and having mosquitos biting? Imgaine baking during the day in the hot sun and not being able to wipe the sweat from your brow? This really disgusts me that anyone, parent or step can do this do a child. How do you explain to younger siblings that their older brother is tied to a tree? What kind of fear did these children live in?

Video here. LE says the father did the tying. I wonder which tree he was tied to. Hands AND ankles. :(

http://www.witntv.com/news/headlines/19888284.html#

Someone commented that the smoke from the fires there could have been enough to kill him. I don't know how true that is. There are several school friends also commenting at that site that he was nice but was troubled after his mom died. Who wouldn't be, right? They sound like nice kids and I'm sure they miss him.

Brice M and Sandra Elizabeth McMillan, 36, also have been charged with felony child abuse. Two other children at the home, ages 7 and 9, have been placed in the custody of the Department of Social Services, authorities said. Knight said he does not know of any past allegations of child abuse in the family

Thank goodness. They've probably been abused too.
I think in this case an eye for an eye is sufficient punishment.

Tied up over night until 4:30 in the afternoon!??!!!!! There are so many possibilities of the reason he died. Dehydration; perhaps he was also beaten, and then tied; he could have been bitten by a snake or had an allergic reaction to an insect bite; the ties may have been too tight and cut off circulation... So many terrible things could have happened! My son is 13, and I know they can be challenging, but I love him and I put his safety above all else.

Did they have neighbors close by? I'm just wondering if anybody outside of the family was aware of what was going on?

VB

Did they have neighbors close by? I'm just wondering if anybody outside of the family was aware of what was going on?

VB

That is a very good question! I seem to remember them giving a street address. I suppose we could google earth it, or whatever that is called.

I wonder what the poor kid did that would make the parents so mad. Maybe it was a report card.:confused:

No matter how much my child annoyed me, or anyone else's for that matter, it would never even come into my head to tie him to a tree! What the jaysus is wrong with people who come up with stuff like this as "punishment". All those hours that poor child was tied there....its just pure sadistic cruelty and he must have been so frightened when it got dark. God love that poor child.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back