Sheriff Joe's Deputies vs. Reporter

FLMom

Former Member
Reaction score
Arpaio's thugs threaten to arrest a New Times reporter for looking at public records

By Ray Stern

How close did I come to getting arrested by Maricopa County sheriff's deputies today? As Maxwell Smart would say, "Missed it by that much."

The problem: I had the nerve to want to look at the same public records that sheriff's deputies were scouring at the City of Phoenix public records counter.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/2008/06/arpaios_thugs_threaten_to_arre.php

It's pretty shocking that a Sheriff was able to arrest reporters simply for, reporting news. But he did and now the taxpayers have to pay to bail him out.

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/story/24270336/officials-to-again-mull-lawsuits-against-arpaio

"Who thinks you can arrest American journalists for what they write?" Lacey said Friday after the settlement's announcement. "It's just remarkable."

Lacey said that while the settlement was good news, he would like to see Arpaio held accountable for his actions.

"This guy has just run wild and the county has continued to write checks for his abuses without curtailing the abuses," he said.

I'm curious was he voted in and then continually voted into office or appointed? I DK how they do things in this state, but he needs to go.

I'm curious was he voted in and then continually voted into office or appointed? I DK how they do things in this state, but he needs to go.

Elected. Over and over and over again.

Elected. Over and over and over again.

Well, I guess they're getting the government they deserve. :facepalm:

I know I wouldn't want to be a taxpayer there, funding millions of dollars to pay for this guy's fines and settlements. :twocents:

I have friends there who are absolutely mortified every time this (self edit) little man does something outrageous. I get their messages, "We're not all like that REALLY!!!!!!" :facepalm:

Well, I guess they're getting the government they deserve. :facepalm:

I know I wouldn't want to be a taxpayer there, funding millions of dollars to pay for this guy's fines and settlements. :twocents:

Well, it's just the Sheriff, not the entire government. Janet Napolatano was the Governor a few years ago. But they're definitely getting the Sheriff they want, and have for years, regardless of whether he is or isn't what they deserve.
jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back