704 users online (100 members and 604 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

MO - Disabled Couple held 20 Years!

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...8?OpenDocument

2 virtually enslaved for years

St. Louis For two decades, Robert Leitzel wondered what happened to his sister and her husband. The mentally disabled couple had moved from Kansas to Missouri with former landlords, and seemed to disappear.

Leitzel's persistence and a misdelivered letter unraveled a bizarre story of relatives forced to live in squalor in Macon, Mo., enslaved by threats and beatings as they handed their disability checks over to onetime friends who had become virtual captors.

The last chapter was written Thursday in federal court in St. Louis, where Donald Hicks, 70, and his wife, Mary Hicks, 53 were sentenced on a single felony charge of misusing Social Security funds.

I can't believe they were only sentenced for misusing SS funds. What about kidnapping or in the least unlawful detainment?

Don't get me wrong, I am glad they are caught and going to be punished, but come on, 20 years of enslavement, 20 years of keeping this couple from contacting their family, 20 years of living in fear.... grrrrr The justice system makes no sense sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxye View Post

I can't believe they were only sentenced for misusing SS funds. What about kidnapping or in the least unlawful detainment?

Don't get me wrong, I am glad they are caught and going to be punished, but come on, 20 years of enslavement, 20 years of keeping this couple from contacting their family, 20 years of living in fear.... grrrrr The justice system makes no sense sometimes.
    ITA - this is disgusting! Why were they not prosecuted for what they did to this couple?

Salem

I'm so glad her brother kept looking for her and trying! This is very sad.

Salem

What the heck is wrong with people??????? This is so sad. Seems like everytime I click it gets worse.
    "The greatest crimes do not arise from a want of feeling for others but from
    over-sensibility for ourselves and an over-indulgence to our own desires."
    ~~ Edmund Burke

Thank God the brother had the determination and love to follow up and find his sister and brother in law, he saved their lives!! Hopefully they can eventually live without worry about the Hickses coming after them.

What an awful story, maybe the poor couple didn't want to testify? God love them they're probably still scared of the Hickes.

If only there was some way that the Wests' could rest assured and not live in fear that the Hicks will come after them. Poor folk are mentally disabled, and it is a beautiful story of the brother's love & determination that rescued them. Isn't there anything they can do to ensure that the Hicks' won't come after them so the wife can sleep better at night?

Quote Originally Posted by Roxye View Post

I agree there should be way more charges against them!!! What an awesome brother to continue the search for his sister and her husband. Prayers for their family.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *My posts are my opinions, expressed freely thanks to the First Amendment.*

I can't even read the entire article. I can't believe it. I can't believe that someone could treat people that way.