MO - Donald & Mary Hicks for holding disabled couple captive, Macon, 2006

golfmom

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/ne...C80C1F78347743438625746700144898?OpenDocument

2 virtually enslaved for years

St. Louis — For two decades, Robert Leitzel wondered what happened to his sister and her husband. The mentally disabled couple had moved from Kansas to Missouri with former landlords, and seemed to disappear.

Leitzel's persistence — and a misdelivered letter — unraveled a bizarre story of relatives forced to live in squalor in Macon, Mo., enslaved by threats and beatings as they handed their disability checks over to onetime friends who had become virtual captors.

The last chapter was written Thursday in federal court in St. Louis, where Donald Hicks, 70, and his wife, Mary Hicks, 53 were sentenced on a single felony charge of misusing Social Security funds.

:eek:

I can't believe they were only sentenced for misusing SS funds. What about kidnapping or in the least unlawful detainment?

Don't get me wrong, I am glad they are caught and going to be punished, but come on, 20 years of enslavement, 20 years of keeping this couple from contacting their family, 20 years of living in fear.... grrrrr The justice system makes no sense sometimes.

I can't believe they were only sentenced for misusing SS funds. What about kidnapping or in the least unlawful detainment?

Don't get me wrong, I am glad they are caught and going to be punished, but come on, 20 years of enslavement, 20 years of keeping this couple from contacting their family, 20 years of living in fear.... grrrrr The justice system makes no sense sometimes.

ITA - this is disgusting! Why were they not prosecuted for what they did to this couple? :mad::mad:

Salem

I'm so glad her brother kept looking for her and trying! This is very sad.

Salem

Thank God the brother had the determination and love to follow up and find his sister and brother in law, he saved their lives!! Hopefully they can eventually live without worry about the Hickses coming after them.

What an awful story, maybe the poor couple didn't want to testify? God love them they're probably still scared of the Hickes.

If only there was some way that the Wests' could rest assured and not live in fear that the Hicks will come after them. Poor folk are mentally disabled, and it is a beautiful story of the brother's love & determination that rescued them. Isn't there anything they can do to ensure that the Hicks' won't come after them so the wife can sleep better at night?

I agree there should be way more charges against them!!! What an awesome brother to continue the search for his sister and her husband. Prayers for their family.

I can't even read the entire article. I can't believe it. I can't believe that someone could treat people that way.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back