American Revolution Warship Found!

golfmom

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
This is sooooo freakin' cool!

39974155.jpg

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/la-sci-ontario14-2008jun14,0,3623090.story

A team of underwater explorers has found the remains of the HMS Ontario, a 22-gun British warship that sank in a storm on the southern shore of Lake Ontario during the last years of the American Revolution.

The 80-foot-long brig-sloop is one of the oldest shipwrecks discovered in the Great Lakes and one of the best preserved, its finders said Friday.

Wow, that's very cool. I used to live in Rochester, NY. I'm also glad to see that the explorers won't disturb the site as they consider it a British war grave.

I see others desperately trying to cash in and depleting the site if they find it. although the difficulty for them after it's discovered is it's deep down there.

i'm looking forward to the documentary on the find. :)

That is really cool! I hadn't heard about the discovery, and really appreciate you posting this, Golfmom!

I cant believe after all this time they found that, that is so neat !!!!

Oh now that's exciting. I hope they make a documentary of the find and the ship's history.

This IS freakin' cool!! Here's another article which also has a photo of the crows nest.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/world/2008-06/14/content_6760939.htm

SYRACUSE, N.Y. - A 22-gun British warship that sank during the American Revolution and has long been regarded as one of the "Holy Grail" shipwrecks in the Great Lakes has been discovered at the bottom of Lake Ontario, astonishingly well-preserved in the cold, deep water, explorers announced Friday.

000802ab4a6309bdb58b36.jpg

Awesome! Being a history buff this is pretty exciting. The timing is funny - just today I went to Greenwood Cemetary in Brooklyn which is a Nat'l Historic Landmark to an area calle Battle Hill to take some black and white photos of the Revolutionary and Civil War graves.

Thanks for posting!

That is very cool. This is over 200 years old. Everytime I swim in the ocean, river, lake, I always wonder what is in there that we cannot see. It kind of creeps me out.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back