Street-sweeper sucks up dog on leash

Floh

Former Member
Reaction score
A street-sweeping truck roaring down a Bronx street sucked up a dog and killed her as her owner held the leash.
Robert Machin said he had just finished walking his two Boston terriers and was about to put them into his car when the truck appeared Thursday morning. The retired transit worker said he was suddenly whipped around and saw one of the dogs, Ginger, being swallowed by the sweeper's round bristles.

More: http://edition.cnn.com/2008/US/06/15/dog.swept.away.ap/index.html

Tragic. :(

i'm sorry for the dog and sorry for the owner's loss. :(

That is incredibly sad. I don't understand why the street sweeper was so close to a person, anyway. I wonder if maybe the dog was on an expandible leash and was allowed to go to far.

that sucks. i never knew a street sweeper could do that... pet owners beware!

I dont understand how a dog could get sucked up like that! :eek:

poor doggy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow. How long was that leash? I can't imagine getting so close to one of those things.

Poor doggy!

I saw this on the local news this morning! The dog owner said he chased the street sweeper truck for 3 blocks screaming!

I can understand why his dog was in the street and not on the sidewalk or away from the truck...tragic either way. Poor little dog:(

I saw this on the local news this morning! The dog owner said he chased the street sweeper truck for 3 blocks screaming!

I can understand why his dog was in the street and not on the sidewalk or away from the truck...tragic either way. Poor little dog:(

I don't understand why the dog was permitted so close to a moving vehicle???????

I blame the owner.

I don't understand why the dog was permitted so close to a moving vehicle???????

I blame the owner.

Not sure if I can blame the owner. It sounds like this Street-sweeper appeared out of no where while he was putting his dogs into his car. To me, it seems like the Street-sweeper was too close or the leash was too long. Obviously the Strret-sweeper wasn't watching the road or maybe he couldn't see the dog.

My heart breaks for this man. I know how much I love my own dogs, and this would just about kill me to have happen.

Accountability, people! I'm so sick and tired of hearing people shift blame from themselves for things that are their fault!

This isn't the street-sweeper's fault whatsoever! The street-sweeper wasn't on the sidewalk! The fault lies completely in the owner's hands here! If the dog wasn't on the street where it didn't belong, the street-sweeper never would have sucked it up...

I do feel very sorry for the dog and it's owner, but the dog never should have been in the street to begin with.

This is so sad. I really think it's an accident, though. I don't want to place blame on the owner or the person operating the street sweeper.
It all depends...did the street sweeper see the dog and just not care, did he do it on purpose? Was the owner just not paying attention?
I don't know.

I guess it's just another thing to watch out for when you have your pet outside.:(

So sad! My Scottie, Avery, is like our third child. I would be devastated. I blame the street sweeper in this case. The get extremely close to the sidewalk in NYC. I can def. See how this could happen!

Accountability, people! I'm so sick and tired of hearing people shift blame from themselves for things that are their fault!

This isn't the street-sweeper's fault whatsoever! The street-sweeper wasn't on the sidewalk! The fault lies completely in the owner's hands here! If the dog wasn't on the street where it didn't belong, the street-sweeper never would have sucked it up...

I do feel very sorry for the dog and it's owner, but the dog never should have been in the street to begin with.

The owner apparently had the dogs in the street to put them back into his car. I wouldn't say this is entirely his fault.

http://arbroath.blogspot.com/2008/0...-by-bronx.html?referer=sphere_related_content

Witnesses say the sweeper came speeding down the street, swerving to avoid a speed bump, before yanking the dog, a Boston terrier named Ginger, right out of its leash.

Witnesses say the vehicle was moving at about 30 or 40 mph, must faster than the 10 mph it's supposed to go, and that the driver was listening to headphones.

The owner apparently had the dogs in the street to put them back into his car. I wouldn't say this is entirely his fault.

http://arbroath.blogspot.com/2008/0...-by-bronx.html?referer=sphere_related_content

Witnesses say the sweeper came speeding down the street, swerving to avoid a speed bump, before yanking the dog, a Boston terrier named Ginger, right out of its leash.

Witnesses say the vehicle was moving at about 30 or 40 mph, must faster than the 10 mph it's supposed to go, and that the driver was listening to headphones.

Nice find; this helps define the situation. Street sweepers don't have inviolate rights. Speeding, headphones, failure to yield to pedestrians (the owner was spun around); this one goes to the dog and its owner.

C6

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back