1302 users online (235 members and 1067 guests)  

Websleuths News

WARNING re: IRS e-mail

Hey everyone...I and another coworker just received a supposed e-mail from the IRS informing us that we qualify for some sort of additional tax refund for $252.60. When you click on the link, it takes you to a site that's supposed to be the IRS and asks you for your social security number, date of birth, bank name and debit card number. Now.....interestingly enough, the IRS does NOT have my e-mail address. I always file my tax return via snail mail (and not online). I have referred this to our Chief Technology Officer here at work and he'll be investigating and probably be sending out an All Staff e-mail alert on this. Just lettin' ya know. So DON'T fall for this.....I think something stinks bad with this.

Thanks for reading this.

The IRS warns about this on their website. They do not email anyone requesting that type of information.
    http://www.irs.gov/privacy/article/0,,id=179820,00.html

i got one too and I figured it was bogus because they wouldnt have my email address.

Thanks for providing the link, Ntegrity! I've NEVER received an e-mail from the IRS. Gosh I hope no one gets taken by this!!!

The IRS page listed above gives a nice email address to forward the scammail to. I got one, and I'm sending it over. It does look very legitimate - I wasn't taken in - but I was going to check into if it was real or not. IRS does have my email, so it was possible.

Thanks for posting this. I will let my parents know about this. They aren't senile, but I still worry about them falling for something like this.
    ~ Friends are kisses blown to us by angels. ~

Quote Originally Posted by Blondieskatz View Post
    Thanks for posting this. I will let my parents know about this. They aren't senile, but I still worry about them falling for something like this.
    I know what you mean, Blondie. And what a better time to try to entice someone with this miracle money....when gas prices are high, food is high, etc. There are going to be some folks out there that believe this and I really do feel sorry for them.

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaBrown23 View Post
    i got one too and I figured it was bogus because they wouldnt have my email address.
    and they would already know your social security number.

I think you should forward it to your local FBI office

I've gotten like 20 of them on my yahoo account - they keep dribbling in.

Definitely phishing...thanks for the heads up.

You can choose to be bitter or better when handling your problems.

My posts are just my opinion and for entertainment purposes only.
    Do not copy any of my post. All post are to remain here.

Christopher McCandless (aka Alexander Supertramp)
    2/12/1968 -8/1992 RIP you are missed.

http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
    If you have information about Kyron Horman, please call the Tip Line at 503-261-2847 or dial 911