1292 users online (263 members and 1029 guests)  

Websleuths News

Unhappy Ian's Choice

The father who had to pick which of his twins to save when their canoe capsized

A grieving father told yesterday how he was forced to make a 'life and death' decision over which of his children to save when a family canoe trip turned to tragedy.
    TV presenter Ian Clayton's daughter Billie, nine, died after their canoe capsized, throwing them into fast-flowing water, along with Billie's twin brother Edward.
    Yesterday Mr Clayton, 48, spoke through tears as he told how he had been told by his son to save Billie first. He desperately tried to lift the canoe clear but couldn't see Billie and was only able to grab Edward.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-capsized.html

I can't fathom how appalling this must be for the family.

Very sad.

poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    I don't know if I could live with such a thing - I think I may have already have blown my brains out......... what a tragedy to be dealt and to have to live with.

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

Quote Originally Posted by poco View Post
    I don't know if I could live with such a thing - I think I may have already have blown my brains out......... what a tragedy to be dealt and to have to live with.
    You wouldn't. you'd think of the remaining child and how he needs you. no checking out.

what a beautiful little girl she was . . .

I take the title of this thread back: Ian didn't have a choice. he saved the one he could see. if he had tried for Billie, he could have lost both of them.

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    You are so right, Floh. There was no choice.

My heart goes out to that poor man and his family.

Okay, I am not going to read the link because I do not want to be depressed. Does it say why they were not wearing life preservers if they were in deep or dangerous water? I don't canoe. So, I don't know if that is the norm.

Hopeful One is offline Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light
    Quote Originally Posted by poco View Post
    Me too. I can't even bring myself to read the link because it will depress me for the rest of the day.

Justice for Travis

Sometimes the first step towards forgiveness is understanding that the other person is a complete idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by nanandjim View Post
    Okay, I am not going to read the link because I do not want to be depressed. Does it say why they were not wearing life preservers if they were in deep or dangerous water? I don't canoe. So, I don't know if that is the norm.
    IMO, they received the minimum of advice from the people who ran the operation.

yes, it was deep and dangerous fast-flowing water.

if this can only be a timely story to warn others of the pitfalls, something good will come out of it.
    Last edited by Floh; 06-17-2008 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nanandjim View Post
    "Buoyed by their lifejackets, Mr Clayton and his son were carried away by the strong current of the River Wye in Powys, Wales."

If they both had them on, I assume the girl did, too.

When I learned to kayak, they put me on a kayak in the Suwannee River and LEFT. It was definitely sink or swim. Directions aren't given in the US either, I guess.
    FUN... is a renewable resource!

Father of canoe tragedy twin: 'Health and safety blunders killed my beautiful daughter'

'My beautiful daughter Billie fell through a hole in health and safety law and drowned,' he said.
    'My partner Heather, our son Edward and myself fell into that hole as well but we somehow managed to claw our way out from the aftermath.
    'Our Billie will never know that the canoe hire industry is a shambolic mess of a business. She will never know that it is a stupidly unregulated thing.
    'She will never know that lack of knowledge and ignorance within canoe hire is rewarded by being protected from the health and safety rules that apply to professionally guided canoes.'
    Powys Coroner Peter Maddox echoed his concerns and called for an official review of the rules governing canoe hire on rivers at the end of the three-day inquest.
    In a lengthy summing up, he issued a seven-page summary of the evidence and findings which carried an 11-point list of proven facts for use by a future review body.
    Mr Maddox also condemned described the present system as 'too relaxed and potentially confusing'.
    He revealed he now plans to write to the Adventure Activities Licensing Service (AALC) and the Health and Safety Executive, to which it is answerable, to suggest a full review.

More: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-daughter.html