Mother Loses Hearing After Daughter Kisses Her Ear

White Rain

Reaction score
How weird!

What’s in a kiss?
That’s what a Hicksville, N.Y. mother would like to know after her young daughter's kiss left her with hearing loss and tinnitus, Newsday reported.
When Gail Schwartzman’s daughter, who is now 6, kissed Schwartzman’s ear, it wasn’t the sound that damaged her hearing, it was the suction force, which displaced the eardrum and paralyzed a trio of bones.
The incident happened two years ago, but will be the subject of an upcoming medical journal report, which outlines “the kiss of deaf.”
Schwartzman said the kiss was painful, but said her daughter’s emotional scars are more agonizing. (Schwartzman has requested her daughter’s name not be printed for this reason).
more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,367942,00.htmlhttp://health.blogs.foxnews.com/2008/06/17/whats-in-a-kiss/

She must have done one of those loud smoochy ones!

Extraordinary!

and devastating for the young girl to live with the guilt. devastating for mom to be deaf. :(

This happened when the daughter was 4. I would have found a way to keep the fact she made mommy deaf from her.

This happened when the daughter was 4. I would have found a way to keep the fact she made mommy deaf from her.

Me too!! She was young enough to forget even if the mum reacted painfully at the time. Who hasn't had their child accidently hurt them even to a point where you let out a bit of a yelp, if you get over it pretty darn quick they forget all about it, which is how it should be.:mad:

"Kiss of deaf", how clever.

What I don't get...did she lose hearing in both ears or just the one?

I saw this on the news the other night. It was actually the suction from the big long kiss that tore her eardrum right out. :eek:

Poor woman. Kids. I may have played it the opposite and put a guilt trip on the kid in teen years. You better do what I say.

I jest. It's sad, and unbelievable.

A part of me is expecting an update to this story stating that the 20 year old did it and "framed" the 7 year old. I just cant wrap my mind around a 7 yo throwing a baby on the floor. It's so sad for so many reasons.

A part of me is expecting an update to this story stating that the 20 year old did it and "framed" the 7 year old. I just cant wrap my mind around a 7 yo throwing a baby on the floor. It's so sad for so many reasons.

:confused: This is kinda odd.

The Newsday article has more (bolding mine):

"She grabbed me and gave me a hug and a really big kiss on the left ear. And while she was doing it, it felt like she was sucking the air out of my head. I couldn't push her away because I had this terrible sensation in my head," Schwartzman said.

"When she was finished, I had no hearing in that ear. The hearing slowly came back but with screeching noises in my ear," she said, referring to sounds known medically as tinnitus. Although some of her hearing has returned, allowing her to hear in muffled tones, the tinnitus has remained.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/ny-likiss0608,0,1032305.story

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back