Toddler Abandoned at Walmart

shdbepaintin

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080617/NEWS/80617002

I am torn about this. We read so many things here about child abuse, parents forgetting thier children in cars, parents shooting thier kids to
get back at the other parent and on and on. With that in mind, is what
this mother did so really awful? Sure she could have made better decisions, she could have went to some authority and gave up the child.
But she at least (and I know "least" where a child is concerned is not good) she left a note, left him in a very public place and left him with
some supplies. Am I bonkers on this? Does anyone else think that maybe
for the mother and the little boy she did the "right" thing? or the least of the wrong?

Maybe the mom was going to be deported and wanted him to stay in the US. I'm glad she did not hurt him. Of course maybe the dad did this and the mom is dead. That happened a while back. The dad dropped the boy in a hospital parking lot.

Walmart's video will hopefully show who left him. He is so cute and looks sweet. Can you imagine what he felt like being left alone in a big ole store? :(

The letter suggests that he was abandoned. Nobody has come forward to report him missing."
sad-smiley-012.gif

I hope this child will be okay. If his mother left him and the letter is real, it seems that she cares about him but does not feel like she can care for him. I can't imagine being that destitute. My prayers for the child and his mother.

If the note is real, then this is an act of desperation. I hope they find the mother to verify that she is not in danger, though. She could have been kidnapped or worse by someone who didn't want the burden or investigation of a child abduction.

I cannot imagine how bad things would have to get to do something like this, but if you got to the point where your child was at risk due to homelessness, hunger, or abuse, I cannot fault the mother for trying to find a better way for her little boy.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080617/NEWS/80617002

I am torn about this. We read so many things here about child abuse, parents forgetting thier children in cars, parents shooting thier kids to
get back at the other parent and on and on. With that in mind, is what
this mother did so really awful? Sure she could have made better decisions, she could have went to some authority and gave up the child.
But she at least (and I know "least" where a child is concerned is not good) she left a note, left him in a very public place and left him with
some supplies. Am I bonkers on this? Does anyone else think that maybe
for the mother and the little boy she did the "right" thing? or the least of the wrong?

I think she might have been desperate and actually loved her child very much and wanted him cared for. She left a bottle, sippy cup and his toys. I think it is very sad. I hope he is adopted by a loving family.

I wonder if this part of INd has been affected by the flooding?
The floods will definately effect the migrant workers, and their ability to provide for their families.

Main thing is this child is in safe hands now, i hope.

if this is all as it is said to be, i don't think she did a bad thing. excepting to say i'm grateful some pervert didn't get him.

It's a tricky situation. First inclination is how could a mother do such a thing but then when you think through that I begin to think about her being in a new country, her husband left her, she probably doesn't speak very much english, is having a hell of a time finding a job that pays enough to support her and her child and she is scared and desperate. I really don't think she would have done something like this unless it was out of sheer desperation and that is sad. It is a shame that there are people in this country who are so poverty striken they are forced to make decisions like this. It seems pretty apparent she did this out of love for him. She wants him to have a good life and be provided for.
IF this is the case and it isn't a hoax or something more sinister.

It's a tricky situation. First inclination is how could a mother do such a thing but then when you think through that I begin to think about her being in a new country, her husband left her, she probably doesn't speak very much english, is having a hell of a time finding a job that pays enough to support her and her child and she is scared and desperate. I really don't think she would have done something like this unless it was out of sheer desperation and that is sad. It is a shame that there are people in this country who are so poverty striken they are forced to make decisions like this. It seems pretty apparent she did this out of love for him. She wants him to have a good life and be provided for.
IF this is the case and it isn't a hoax or something more sinister.

What gaia said. all of it! :clap:

Walmart probably seemed like a safe place to her, if she associated it with every day living... and really, when you think about it: it is a place of convenience for everyday life stuff. If this is real, it does speak of desperation, but not on the part of harming the child. But it is heartbreaking...

Geeez...I am afraid if I were the one to find him...I would have just taken him home with me:)

I do so hope the mother is okay.

Walmart probably seemed like a safe place to her, if she associated it with every day living... and really, when you think about it: it is a place of convenience for everyday life stuff. If this is real, it does speak of desperation, but not on the part of harming the child. But it is heartbreaking...

It must be heartbreaking to have to leave your own child. :(

But, I also must say, better WalMart then a dumpster or anyother awful place.
Obviously she either didn't know about safe havens or was afraid of going to one for some reason. WalMart was the best option for this person.
:(

It was probably very difficult for her to leave the baby. Sounds like she knew he'd be taken care of ASAP. I can't condemn her for it.......

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts
Back