Actress-dancer Cyd Charisse dies in L.A. at 86

Dark Knight

Reaction score
LOS ANGELES - Cyd Charisse, the long-legged Texas beauty who danced with the Ballet Russe as a teenager and starred in MGM musicals with Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly, died Tuesday. She was 86.

Her name was Tula Ellice Finklea when she was born in Amarillo, Texas, on March 8, 1922. From her earliest years she was called Sid, because her older brother couldn't say "sister." She was a sickly girl who started dancing lessons to build up her strength after a bout with polio.

At 14 she auditioned for the head of the famed Ballet Russe, and became part of the corps de ballet and toured the U.S. and Europe. To appear with the nearly all-Russian company, she was first billed as Celia Siderova, than as Maria Istromena.

At one point during the European tour, she met up again with Nico Charisse, a handsome young dancer she had studied with for a time in Los Angeles. They married in Paris in 1939.

The Ballet Russe disbanded after the war broke out, and the newlyweds returned to Hollywood. In 1942, a son, Nicky, was born.
In 1948, the year after she and Nico divorced, Charisse married Martin. Her second son, Tony Jr., was born in 1950.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080617/ap_on_en_mo/obit_charisse;_ylt=AlFqqO9sb3tjX.4cRxSrmBms0NUE

Thanks DK for the link. If you look at the photos Cyd was still great looking well into her eighties. When I was a little girl her movies and such inspired me to dance.

They just showed a clip on the news of her dancing with Fred Astaire, it was incredible! I was almost mesmerized, lol. Just incredible. And yes, she was gorgeous!

I remember her very well. What a beautiful and graceful lady. We're losing stars from that era of Hollywood that can never be replaced.

Thanks DK for the link. If you look at the photos Cyd was still great looking well into her eighties. When I was a little girl her movies and such inspired me to dance.

What a beauty! As you said, looking great always.

It's sad we are losing so many wonderful veteran performers. Seems every other day we hear of another great one passing.

Oh no. Cyd. She looked fabulous even way up in her years.

Love "American In Paris", and "Brigadoon". RIP lovely Cyd. Yes, thanks for the links, DK.

If anyone finds clips of her actual dancing please post. I have searched and can find none yet but it will be a treat to see her dance one last time. Especially for the young people here to see a great dancer.

Running a search on her name at youtube, I received about 132 hits.

Bio at imdb:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001998/bio

She was truly a beauty and such a graceful dancer, a joy to see.

Many years ago, I knew her son Tony, Jr. Based on the kind of person he was...wonderful!...I'd say Cyd Charisse was a fine mother too.

RIP

May she rest in peace.
When I was young my parents and I got the biggest thrill watching Ms. Charisse's dance movies. She was truly a beauty.

May she RIP.....
She brought so much joy to so many people.

Oh no. Cyd. She looked fabulous even way up in her years.

Love "American In Paris", and "Brigadoon". RIP lovely Cyd. Yes, thanks for the links, DK.

She actually wasn't cast in 'An American in Paris'. Leslie Caron starred opposite Gene Kelly due to Charisse wanting to start a family with her husband, Tony Martin.

Here is the link: http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iAp24iQ0M70WAbMPoGpE28ZgmpkQ

I've only seen a few of her films but I think she was one of the greatest female dancers of all time.

Gee I didn't even here this, she was a lovely woman and so graceful. Glad to see you here shana......I just joined.
And will post here and there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back