Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wikileaks takes on the LDS AND Scientology!

Wikileaks takes on the LDS AND Scientology!

Watchdog Web Site Goes After the Mormon and Scientology Churches

<snip>

But Assange said if they do move forward, Wikileaks would welcome a lawsuit.

"The lawsuits validate the documents we released and bring attention to other people who are revealing incriminating information about these or other organizations," he said.

"It also brings further attention to our organization as a whole, and it's possible to create a situation where the lawsuit itself brings out the material in public and is a revealer of truth."

In September 2007, the site published evidence of massive corruption in the Kenyan government prior to the country's national elections, a move the group said may have helped shape the election's outcome. In November 2007, it released day-to-day operating instructions for the detention facilities in Guantanamo Bay. And in February 2008, it revealed that U.S. forces in Iraq were permitted to pursue enemies into Syria and Iran, prompting a warning from Tehran to Washington.

===================

This should be interesting!

The Scientologists are just vicious in going after groups that oppose them. Just look at what they did to the Cult Awareness Network.

Quote Originally Posted by golfmom View Post
    The Scientologists are just vicious in going after groups that oppose them. Just look at what they did to the Cult Awareness Network.
    Yeah, but the guys at Wikileaks seem up to the task!

I'd be willing to donate a dollar or two to see the Scientologists get their a$$e$ kicked.

Quote Originally Posted by Karole28 View Post

I'd be willing to donate a dollar or two to see the Scientologists get their a$$e$ kicked.
    Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by deanws View Post
    Me too!
    It'd be satisfying in the extreme!

They're such bullies.

This group is openly and admittedly breaking copyright laws. Tell me again why we get to pick and choose when copyrights should be respected?

Quote Originally Posted by RainbowsAndGumdrops View Post
    This group is openly and admittedly breaking copyright laws. Tell me again why we get to pick and choose when copyrights should be respected?
    FTA: If it were to come to a legal battle in the U.S. with either the Scientologists or the Mormons, Columbia University intellectual-law professor Jane Ginsburg said, Wikileaks likely would claim strong protections under U.S. fair-use laws, which give leeway for whistle-blowing groups that use even copyrighted materials to back up their claims of corruption or abuse.

But they are not claiming any corruption or abuse. They are simply saying they got hold of church documents that are copyrighted and they are publishing for everyone to see. Also, using copyrighted materials to back up claims of corruption and abuse does not mean you instantly have free reign to ignore copyrights. It means that the copyrighted information can support a case.

But they are not claiming any corruption or abuse. They are simply saying they got hold of church documents that are copyrighted and they are publishing for everyone to see.
    Proving corruption and abuse is the whole point of the whistleblower website.

Why? Why do you even CARE what they do?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP) View Post
    Why? Why do you even CARE what they do?
    Have you read up on the Scientology (alleged) murders?

I have.

Have you read up on the Scientology (alleged) murders?

I have.
    If a mafia guy gets wacked, I figure you play you pay. Maybe Scientology is the same thing. Personally, anyone who gets involved in a cult pretty much is screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP) View Post
    If a mafia guy gets wacked, I figure you play you pay. Maybe Scientology is the same thing. Personally, anyone who gets involved in a cult pretty much is screwed.
    No, these are different. Lisa McPherson

Glad to hear there's people around with no better things to do.....
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.---Patrick Moynihan
    Living in the

Quote Originally Posted by thefragile7393 View Post
    Glad to hear there's people around with no better things to do.....
    And, obviously you have better things to do.

cause you're posting here

On this thread

right now

WikiLeaks.org is a pretty good site. They've brought a lot of solid information to light about various situations in several countries.

The copyright question is an interesting one because the underlying assumption isn't that copyright is to protect wrongdoers but that wrongdoing has to be proven before copyright can be broken so does proving wrongdoing justify violating copyright? It seems to be a kind of chicken and egg conundrum.

And, obviously you have better things to do.

cause you're posting here

On this thread

right now
    LOL...I would have to agree with you Karole.

A lot of people who find themselves entangled in cults and cult type organizations are ordinary people who were looking for answers and thought the teachings of <insert name here> cult could give them a better way to live.

Quote Originally Posted by blaize View Post
    A lot of people who find themselves entangled in cults and cult type organizations are ordinary people who were looking for answers and thought the teachings of <insert name here> cult could give them a better way to live.
    Then, when some of them want to leave...they find themselves unable to do so because of the cult's death threats to themselves and their families. It is a real scary issue.

LDS? Like Mormons? Why?
    Because of the crazies tht claim marrying 14 year olds is OK?

The whole church is against that.

I have a hard time believing that Scientologists threaten to kill people that want to leave.

I do believe that some scientologists have been killed, perhaps by other scientologists. I also believe some Americans have been killed by other americans over how patriotic they are or some catholics have been killed by other catholics. Just because every group has bad apples doesn't mean it is the group that is bad.

I have a hard time believing that any of these groups have a set of rules, a standard practice, or even a mob or gang mentality that you are not free to leave. Seems like another conspiracy theory.

Quote Originally Posted by pixies View Post
    LDS? Like Mormons? Why?
    Because of the crazies tht claim marrying 14 year olds is OK?

The whole church is against that.
    I actually think that publishing the LDS guidlines for transgressions is amusing. The world can see that the LDS don't believe in drugs, alcohol, unwed sex, abortions, etc. Seriously, who thinks this is so important to publish that they admittidly break copyright rules when you could ask a member or go to the LDS website. That is just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by blaize View Post
    Agreed. But Scientology does seem to help some folks. Not everyone involved is murderous and corrupt.

The Scientology outrage always intrigues me mightily. I don't mind that people think they are loons and want to see them suffer and cease to exist, but I still can't quite figure out why.

Plus - I've never satisfied myself completely in cult/religion debate.

And yes - I've read all the crazy stuff. Plus a friend of ours here has a brother who is a Scientologist and she has lots of inside scoop!

I have a hard time believing that Scientologists threaten to kill people that want to leave.

I do believe that some scientologists have been killed, perhaps by other scientologists. I also believe some Americans have been killed by other americans over how patriotic they are or some catholics have been killed by other catholics. Just because every group has bad apples doesn't mean it is the group that is bad.

I have a hard time believing that any of these groups have a set of rules, a standard practice, or even a mob or gang mentality that you are not free to leave. Seems like another conspiracy theory.
    I'll go a step further and say I don't believe it.

Christians have killed more dissenters than Scientology has even had as members!

When I first joined WS, I was surprised the Mods allowed this religion to be bashed. It is a religion to those practicing it. I do not agree with them in their beliefs but it is none of my business what others do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast